15.6" Optimus II Battery Life

Dealmaster13

Gold Level Poster
It has now been quite some time since the 15.6" Optimus II was released and destined to have a battery life check, and I'd really like to know what the results were - preferably for both using the 555M and for not using it (Optimus engaged).

I'm hoping to order the following spec tomorrow if all goes to plan:
Chassis & Display
Optimus II: 15.6" Glossy Full HD LED Widescreen (1920x1080)
Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™i7 Quad Core Mobile Processor i7-2630QM (2.00GHz) 6MB Cache
Memory (RAM)
8GB SAMSUNG 1333MHz SODIMM DDR3 MEMORY (2 x 4GB)
Graphics Card
nVIDIA® GeForce® GT 555M - 2GB DDR3 Video RAM - DirectX® 11
Memory - 1st Hard Disk
500GB SEAGATE MOMENTUS XT HYBRID, SATA 3 Gb/s, 32MB CACHE (7200 rpm)
1st DVD/BLU-RAY Drive
8x SATA DVD±R/RW/Dual Layer (+ 24x CD-RW)
Memory Card Reader
Internal 9 in 1 Card Reader (MMC/RSMMC/SD: Mini, XC & HC/MS: Pro & Duo)
Sound Card
Intel 2 Channel High Definition Audio + MIC/Headphone Jack
Network Facilities
GIGABIT LAN & WIRELESS 802.11N CARD INC. BLUETOOTH 3.0
USB Options
2 x USB 3.0 PORTS + 2 x USB 2.0 PORTS AS STANDARD
Battery
Optimus Series 6 Cell Lithium-ION Battery - 48.85WH
Power Lead & Adaptor
1 x UK Power Lead & 90W Adaptor (GT 540M) / 120W Adaptor (GT 555M)
Operating System
NO OPERATING SYSTEM REQUIRED
Office Software
NO OFFICE SOFTWARE
Anti-Virus
NO ANTI-VIRUS SOFTWARE
Mouse
INTEGRATED 2 BUTTON TOUCHPAD MOUSE
Webcam
INTEGRATED 1.3 MEGAPIXEL WEBCAM
Warranty
3 Year Silver Warranty (1 Year Collect & Return, 1 Year Parts, 3 Year Labour) (£5)
Insurance
1 Month Free Laptop Insurance inc. Accidental Damage & Theft
Delivery
STANDARD INSURED DELIVERY TO UK MAINLAND (MON-FRI)
Build Time
Standard Build - Approximately 5 to 7 working days
Quantity

Price: £762.00 including VAT and delivery.

Thoughts?

Many thanks,
Oliver

Skylinefx

Bronze Level Poster
I can get about 2 hours from my Optimus II (17.3") while playing games. When at idle and screen turned off, the laptop lasts about 4 hours.
I would imagine the 15.6" could get over 2 hours because of the smaller screen, but at idle and the screen turned off it would be the same?

Dealmaster13

Gold Level Poster
Thanks for the first-hand info. What's your spec if I may ask, and more importantly are you enjoying your Optimus II :)? Hopefully no issues so far?

I'd naturally expect the 15.6" to have a slightly longer battery life and thankfully the battery life specs for the bigger laptop are available online, but that's of course with the less powerful 540M; however this having been said, it's always nice to have the reassurance with accurate figures.

Skylinefx

Bronze Level Poster
My specs are the same as yours except that's it's a 17.3" and 4GB RAM. Two disappointments for me is the sound and the screen glare... It's my first laptop, so maybe the sound is the same for all laptops.

Dealmaster13

Gold Level Poster
Thanks for the feedback.

So you also have the Momentus XT? How has that been for you?

I too have had niggles about potential glare with the glossy screen, so I think I'll buy myself a matte-inducing screen protector to somewhat counteract the issue. As for sound, I'm not too bothered as I almost invariably use earphones wherever I may be, however I did notice that the speakers are underneath which I found a bit wierd.

PCS

Administrator
Staff member
We have matte screens coming, but they're not available just yet. The initial model we tested was more like a hybrid - it wasn't fully glossy but also not as matte as we'd have liked. Once we have tested and approved a model we will list it on our configurator. :)

Dealmaster13

Gold Level Poster
We have matte screens coming, but they're not available just yet. The initial model we tested was more like a hybrid - it wasn't fully glossy but also not as matte as we'd have liked. Once we have tested and approved a model we will list it on our configurator. :)

Battery life!!! :|

PCS

Administrator
Staff member
We will be completing the battery life tests tomorrow and I will post back with the results.

PCS

Administrator
Staff member
Battery test result 1:

Playing a movie (stored on hard disk, not DVD) with the Optimus settings on amber (GPU turned on): crica 2 hours 25 minutes

We will re-test with the Optimus button turned off shortly.

Dealmaster13

Gold Level Poster
Excellent! Eagerly awaiting the Optimus-off results.

A third test with Optimus on yet doing something fully GPU (and/or CPU) intensive would be great if possible; for example, simply keeping a resource-hungry game open idly.

Finally, I suppose it's not possible to upgrade to a higher cell battery at some point in the future?

Laptop ordered as in the first post by the way :)... can't wait for it to arrive!

PCS

Administrator
Staff member
We don't provide higher cell batteries at present but we can supply as many spare batteries as you need. :)

We will update the results shortly.

PCS

Administrator
Staff member
3 hours 32 minutes with the Optimus button on green (UMA graphics).

Note: Film was stored on HDD, not played by DVD. Sound was muted. :)