15.6" Optimus II ??? is it worth??

milopet

hi,

looking finally to replace my old notebook sager 3790 after 5-6 years, must say serve my well -- still working 24/7 always on
need to get something similar for next couple years
need to have dual os - win 7 & linux
and tv out - dual monitor important for me watch movies and games on plasma tv
just not sure about 2GB GeForce™ GT555M reading a lot of bad review for this video card, problems with games etc..

what you say about this configuration ?

Chassis & Display
Optimus II: 15.6" Glossy Full HD LED Widescreen (1920x1080)
Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™i7 Quad Core Mobile Processor i7-2670QM (2.20GHz) 6MB
Memory (RAM)
8GB SAMSUNG 1333MHz SODIMM DDR3 MEMORY (2 x 4GB)
Graphics Card
nVIDIA® GeForce® GT 555M - 2GB DDR3 Video RAM - DirectX® 11
Memory - Hard Disk
500GB SEAGATE MOMENTUS, SATA 3 Gb/s, 16MB CACHE (7200 rpm)
DVD/BLU-RAY Drive
8x SATA DVD±R/RW/Dual Layer (+ 24x CD-RW)
Memory Card Reader
Internal 9 in 1 Card Reader (MMC/RSMMC/SD: Mini, XC & HC/MS: Pro & Duo)
Thermal Paste
ARCTIC MX-4 EXTREME THERMAL CONDUCTIVITY COMPOUND (£9)
Sound Card
Intel 2 Channel High Definition Audio + MIC/Headphone Jack
Bluetooth & Wireless
GIGABIT LAN & WIRELESS INTEL® ADVANCED-N 6230 (300Mbps) + BLUETOOTH
USB Options
2 x USB 3.0 PORTS + 2 x USB 2.0 PORTS AS STANDARD
Battery
Upgrade to 62.16WH 6 Cell Lithium-ION Battery (£39)
Power Lead & Adaptor
1 x UK Power Lead & 90W Adaptor (GT 540M) / 120W Adaptor (GT 555M)
Operating System
NO OPERATING SYSTEM REQUIRED
Office Software
NO OFFICE SOFTWARE
Anti-Virus
NO ANTI-VIRUS SOFTWARE
Carry Case
Belkin Black/Red 15.6" Neoprene Notebook Sleeve (£14)
Keyboard Language
INTEGRATED UK KEYBOARD WITH NUMBER PAD
Notebook Mouse
INTEGRATED 2 BUTTON TOUCHPAD MOUSE
Webcam
INTEGRATED 1.3 MEGAPIXEL WEBCAM
Warranty
3 Year Silver Warranty (1 Year Collect & Return, 1 Year Parts, 3 Year Labour) (£5)
Dead Pixel Guarantee
30 Day Dead Pixel Guarantee Inc. Labour & Carriage Costs (£12)
Insurance
1 Month Free Laptop Insurance inc. Accidental Damage & Theft
Delivery
STANDARD INSURED DELIVERY TO UK MAINLAND (MON-FRI)
Build Time
Standard Build - Approximately 5 to 7 working days
Quantity

Price: £798.00 including VAT and delivery.

AndyL

If you want to play games at high settings then you will need to look at the Vortex series of laptops as a minimum.

M3zxu

Silver Level Poster
I haven't seen much trouble with games with the gt555m and it has loads of room for OC which would bring it much closer to gtx560m. However, I was going through a lot of stuff when I was trying to make up my mind and I got the impression that the cooling will have a bit of trouble handling a quad-core i7 and the gt555m and that the clevo w150hr (optimus II) chassis suffers from throttling. This can be easily improved on by manually increasing the fan speed but it doesn't come up to the level of cooling in the p150hm (vertex II) chassis. Anyone who has the laptop is free to prove me wrong though.

AndyL

I haven't seen much trouble with games with the gt555m and it has loads of room for OC which would bring it much closer to gtx560m. However, I was going through a lot of stuff when I was trying to make up my mind and I got the impression that the cooling will have a bit of trouble handling a quad-core i7 and the gt555m and that the clevo w150hr (optimus II) chassis suffers from throttling. This can be easily improved on by manually increasing the fan speed but it doesn't come up to the level of cooling in the p150hm (vertex II) chassis. Anyone who has the laptop is free to prove me wrong though.

Yes you can overclock the GT555M but it will not increase performance by 50% and it will also void your warantee, it also wont help the temps! If you can affoer it then the Vortex with a GTX560M is much better.

M3zxu

Silver Level Poster
Yes you can overclock the GT555M but it will not increase performance by 50% and it will also void your warantee, it also wont help the temps! If you can affoer it then the Vortex with a GTX560M is much better.

True, it's not going to match the performance of the gtx 560m (which can also easily be overclocked and doesn't produce much more heat if it is). Here's a graph of how it improves on 1600x900 performance in alienware m14x. (which uses a different version of gt555m but still comparable)

m14x-oc-g.png

It won't do Full-HD gaming very well, but if you drop the resolution to 1600x900 you can take the effects up a notch or two. Regardless, I still went with the Vortex II and gtx 560m and am waiting badly to get my laptop late this week or early next week.