15.6" PROTEUS VI RTX Quick Review

kostalasa

Recently received my Proteus VI laptop and I thought to share my first impressions for anyone interested to acquire one.

A. Build Quality
One of the strong point of Proteus VI laptop. Pretty solid build with interesting looks. A professional look all around and cool illuminated keyboad and mouse pad. Comfortable keyboard easy to use and reliable.
Mini USB 3.1 C port to easily plug any modern smartphone.

B. Touch Pad
Unreliable (at least in my case) touch pad hard to use and not resposnive. I have to rely on an external mouse and would advise to do so if you look for a reliable input.

C. Screen
Again one of the best selling point of this kind of laptop. Very good quality, excellent colors and good gaming experience.

D. Graphics Card
From my point of view I believe that the GeForce RTX 2070 is overpriced for what it offers. Nevetherless it copes with almost all modern games on the market on the highest settings.

E. Sound
Whilst the overall sound quality is just good and an external sound devise is beneficial it's not a deal breaker. At the end of the day it does the job and in all households there are audio bluetooth devices.

F. SSD Drive
I desided to go for the ADATA SX6000 Pro PCIe M.2 2280 (2100 MB/R, 1500 MB/W) which is super fast and suberb value for money

G. Overall Performance - temperature
Instantaneous response even under demanding conditions (gaming, Photoshop etc..). As far for temperature overheating the fans (on the noisy level) keep the laptop on a decent level. I do use though a CoolerMaster NotePal L2 Laptop Cooler to protect the laptop and increase it's lifespan.

Conclusion - Value for Money
I beleive that Proteus VI is a good compromise when someone is looking for a good quality laptop that can be used both in professional situations and for gaming.
Before buying consider its weight and the frustration of the touch pad (again it could have been an issue on the specific laptop).

PLUS POINTS: Performance, solid build, screen, gaming experience
Negative Ones: Touch Pad, Slightly overprised (maybe due to RTX 2070), Major issues with the "ControlCenter" software which is incompatible with latest Windows 2019 updates (I had to use a separate software as my monitoring software). Will benefit from external speakers.

Update: It IS possible to use Control Center after rebootting to safe mode. I think there is a conflict with NVidia GeForce Experience Software [?}.

Chassis & Display Proteus Series: 15.6" Matte Full HD 144Hz 72% NTSC LED Widescreen (1920x1080)
Processor (CPU) Intel® Core™ i7 Six Core Processor 8750H (2.2GHz, 4.1GHz Turbo)
Memory (RAM) 16GB Corsair 2133MHz SODIMM DDR4 (1 x 16GB)
Graphics Card NVIDIA® GeForce® RTX 2070 - 8.0GB GDDR6 Video RAM - DirectX® 12.1
1st Storage Drive NOT REQUIRED
1st M.2 SSD Drive 512GB ADATA SX6000 Pro PCIe M.2 2280 (2100 MB/R, 1500 MB/W)
Memory Card Reader Integrated SD Memory Card Reader
AC Adaptor 1 x Proteus Series 230W AC Adaptor
Battery Proteus V Series Lithium Ion Battery (7180mAh)
Power Cable 1 x 1 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
Thermal Paste COOLER MASTER MASTERGEL MAKER THERMAL COMPOUND
Sound Card Intel 2 Channel High Definition Audio + MIC/Headphone Jack
Bluetooth & Wireless GIGABIT LAN & WIRELESS INTEL® AC-9260 M.2 (1.73Gbps, 802.11AC) +BT 5.0
USB/Thunderbolt Options 3 x USB 3.0 PORTS + 1 x USB 3.1 Type C PORT AS STANDARD
Keyboard Language PROTEUS SERIES RGB BACKLIT UK KEYBOARD WITH NUMBER PAD
Notebook Mouse INTEGRATED 2 BUTTON TOUCHPAD MOUSE
Games Controller Xbox One Controller + Cable for Windows
Webcam INTEGRATED 720P 30 FPS HD WEBCAM
Weight 3 kg
Screen Size 15.6 inch Widescreen
Native/Maximum Resolution 1920 x 1080
Refresh Rate 144 Hz
NTSC 75%

Audio
Chipset Intel High Definition Audio
Connections Headphone-out/ MIC-in phone jack
Speakers 2 x 2W Stereo Speakers
Subwoofer 3W Subwoofer
Integrated Microphone Yes, Array Microphone

Communications
LAN Gigabit LAN
Wireless Support Wireless LAN 802.11AC/B/G/N (M.2 Interface)
Webcam 720P HD Webcam

Last edited:

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Thanks for the review, very thorough and balanced.

Did you check your downloads folder for an updated Control Center?

If there isn't one listed there, may be worth contacting PCS directly and requesting an update. Unfortunately I don't think the chassis manufacturer has their own website with driver downloads like Clevo do.

kostalasa

Thanks for the review, very thorough and balanced.

Did you check your downloads folder for an updated Control Center?

If there isn't one listed there, may be worth contacting PCS directly and requesting an update. Unfortunately I don't think the chassis manufacturer has their own website with driver downloads like Clevo do.
I will update my post. It IS actually possible to use Control Center after rebooting to safe mode. This issue occured after installing Nvidia GeForce Experience software.

TrIgGeR

Hi there! Which Control Center application do you use?
This application is not working anymore, on my Proteus VI GTX version, under windows 10
it's very annoying, because I can not modify some important settings.
Do you have any problem with this application, on your laptop?

kostalasa

I had exactly the same problem which stopped after updating the graphics card, downloading from Nvidia website

TrIgGeR

I just allowed to update the windows 10 latest version, and the control center didn't work after, anymore
Someone knows, who is this application's supplier? I am sure, not the Clevo! This is a quanta motherboard, but I didn't find nothing on their websites...

kostalasa

Hi, an easy way to go over this is to reboot on Windows SAFE MODE, which will allow you to execute the control center application and change any settings you want.