15.6" Vortex III

!James!

15.6" Vortex III
I have been looking at getting a gaming laptop for a while now and eventually have taken the plunge and got the spec below!!

Chassis & Display
Vortex Series: 15.6" Matte Full HD LED Widescreen (1920x1080)
Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™i7 Quad Core Mobile Processor i7-3630QM (2.40GHz) 6MB
Memory (RAM)
16GB KINGSTON HYPER-X GENESIS 1600MHz SODIMM DDR3 (4 x 4GB)
Graphics Card
NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 680M - 4.0GB DDR5 Video RAM - DirectX® 11
Hard Disk
180GB INTEL® 520 SERIES SSD, SATA 6 Gb/s (upto 550MB/sR | 520MB/sW)
DVD/BLU-RAY Drive
6x BLURAY WRITER, 8x DVD ±R/±RW & CYBERLINK SOFTWARE
Memory Card Reader
Internal 9 in 1 Card Reader (MMC/RSMMC/SD: Mini, XC & HC/MS: Pro & Duo)
Thermal Paste
STANDARD THERMAL PASTE FOR SUFFICIENT COOLING
Sound Card
Intel 2 Channel High Definition Audio + MIC/Headphone Jack
Network Facilities
GIGABIT LAN & KILLER™ 1202 WIRELESS GAMING 802.11N + BLUETOOTH 4.0
USB Options
3 x USB 3.0 PORTS + 1 x USB 2.0 PORT AS STANDARD
Firewire
1 X 1394a FIREWIRE PORT
Battery
Vortex Series 8 Cell Lithium Ion Battery (5,200 mAh/76.96WH)
Power Lead & Adaptor
1 x UK Power Lead & 180W AC Adaptor
Operating System
Genuine Windows 7 Professional 64 Bit w/SP1 - inc DVD & Licence (£109)
Keyboard & Mouse
INTEGRATED BACKLIT UK KEYBOARD WITH NUMBER PAD
Mouse
INTEGRATED 2 BUTTON TOUCHPAD MOUSE
Webcam
INTEGRATED 2.0 MEGAPIXEL WEBCAM
Warranty
3 Year Silver Warranty (1 Year Collect & Return, 1 Year Parts, 3 Year Labour) (£5)
Dead Pixel Guarantee
1 Year Dead Pixel Guarantee Inc. Labour & Carriage Costs (£19)

Looks good James, You may want to get the Arctic Thermal Paste for an extra £9 though. Also, are you only going to be using the SSD with that being the only drive you've ordered or have you got your own?

Farhie,

The 675MX is out of stock (I found out yesterday as well) and I was told that they're not getting anymore until late next week, maybe not even the 18th. I called them today and swapped the 675MX out for the 7970M and then 5 minutes after that I got an email saying it was going into Building.

farhie

Looks good James, You may want to get the Arctic Thermal Paste for an extra £9 though. Also, are you only going to be using the SSD with that being the only drive you've ordered or have you got your own?

Farhie,

The 675MX is out of stock (I found out yesterday as well) and I was told that they're not getting anymore until late next week, maybe not even the 18th. I called them today and swapped the 675MX out for the 7970M and then 5 minutes after that I got an email saying it was going into Building.

Cheers for the heads up, mine does say it is awaiting dispatch. Might chase them up on that. I went for the arctic paste as well.

I just got mine today. I upgraded to the ATI 7970M instead so I didn't have to wait for stock to get back in. And then I drove to Manchester to collect it myself as I couldn't possibly wait till Tuesday for it to be dispatched.

And MY GOD it is a beast!! I can run Guild Wars 2 on MAX settings, literally, everything as high as it can go, and it runs flawlessly. I get about 60 fps on average, even whilst spell casting. It's amazing what it can do, I'm very surprised how well it runs.

Thank you PCS, You have won yourself a life long customer!

farhie

I just got mine today. I upgraded to the ATI 7970M instead so I didn't have to wait for stock to get back in. And then I drove to Manchester to collect it myself as I couldn't possibly wait till Tuesday for it to be dispatched.

And MY GOD it is a beast!! I can run Guild Wars 2 on MAX settings, literally, everything as high as it can go, and it runs flawlessly. I get about 60 fps on average, even whilst spell casting. It's amazing what it can do, I'm very surprised how well it runs.

Thank you PCS, You have won yourself a life long customer!

First off, I'm very jelly. Are PCS based in Manchester? As that is where I am at the moment... hmm :D I want my laptop and I want it now (I'm done being a spoilt brat now)

Glad to hear you're happy with your laptop! I will have to lose to you on steam at some point :p

James have you got your laptop yet?

Last edited:

!James!

I had added the Arctic Thermal Paste to the spec as you suggested. I have a 320GB portable drive and a 2TB NAS, so I thought I will use them for media etc, and just use the SSD for OS and game installations. I do understand that it is a small drive and hopefully i wont regret it! I guess i can always upgrade in the future....

It depends what you intend to use the laptop for James.

If it's for gaming, you won't be able to play many games as I don't believe games will run on an external drive (correct me if I'm wrong)

I have a 120Gb SSD for my primary, and i've installed Guild Wars and WoW on that, but i won't install anymore so the disc space isn't too low. So with a 180Gb, you may only be able to install about 5 games on it.

Farhie, haha Yeah I live down in Buckinghamshire so it was about a 2 hour drive but TOTALLY worth it. Send message on here with your steam ID and i'll add you :D

!James!

It depends what you intend to use the laptop for James.

If it's for gaming, you won't be able to play many games as I don't believe games will run on an external drive (correct me if I'm wrong)

I have a 120Gb SSD for my primary, and i've installed Guild Wars and WoW on that, but i won't install anymore so the disc space isn't too low. So with a 180Gb, you may only be able to install about 5 games on it.

I did realise this when i bought it, but I am still going to go ahead with the 180GB drive. Going to have to be ultra efficient with installing games and keep movies and everything else on my NAS and portable media. As I said though, Ican upgrade the SSD at a later point, they are bound to come down in price when i need that extra space. I can let everyone know how i get on when i get it....hopefully this week!! :D

!James!

Has anyone got any ideas as to what bag to get (preferably a backpack style case) for the 15.6" Vortex III?

Last edited: