16gb ddr4 sticks?

_Rob_

I have been eyeing up the octanell 17". The spec states it can take 64GB with four slots. Does this mean 16GB sticks exist, or will soon?

'Only' 8 can be selected at the moment. Maybe I am being greedy, but give it a year and 64GB will be the minimum requirement for windoz.
I tried googlin but i could not find the answer :turned:

thanks.

btw i realise that there is an update in process on this laptop, so i shall wait a week or so b4 ordering, in any case.

Last edited:

Stephen M

Author Level
DDR 3 16GB sticks already exist, so there is a good chance of sticks for this model will soon but what are you intending to use the laptop for that requires that amount of RAM, 8GB will do for gaming at the moment and even people modelling, rendering etc rarely go above 16.

_Rob_

I want to use it for programming and video editing and creating a ram disc. The reason for wanting a 16GB stick is future proofing, in ~5 years or so 64GB will not seem so much. It would be an environmental waste to buy 8's when it is likely I will throw them out to get 16's.

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
RAM requirements haven't increased in years now. 8GB was more than enough for high end gaming when I got my PC in 2011 and its still more than enough now. 16GB is a reasonable upgrade for those that are ordering very high end PCs or doing certain work on their PC and 32GB is only for the most extreme. 64GB is never really necessary. You'll just be bottlenecked by the CPU.