17.3" Defiance GPU question

ozka

Just looking for some clarification on the available GPUs with the current Defiance

Main Build specs:
Chassis & Display
Defiance Series: 17.3" Matte, Full HD, 144Hz, Pantone Validated 72% NTSC, LED Widescreen (1920x1080)
Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™ i7 Eight Core Processor 11800H (2.3GHz, 4.6GHz Turbo)
Memory (RAM)
16GB Corsair 2666MHz SODIMM DDR4 (2 x 8GB)
Graphics Card
NVIDIA® GeForce® RTX 3060 - 6.0GB GDDR6 Video RAM - DirectX® 12.1
1st M.2 SSD Drive
256GB PCS PCIe M.2 SSD (2000 MB/R, 1100 MB/W)
AC Adaptor
1 x 180W AC Adaptor
Warranty
3 Year Silver Warranty (1 Year Collect & Return, 1 Year Parts, 3 Year Labour)
Chassis
Clevo PC70HP (6GB RTX-3060, i7-11800H, 144Hz N7 PANTONE, Blank KB)

Few notes:
- Sticking with 2666Mhz ram, as I'm assuming going faster is a negligible difference.
- Going with the basic mandatory ssd, as I have 1tb drives to put in and it looks like the samsung 2tb I want is much cheaper to buy elsewhere.

I currently have a Defiance from 2015 that is still working well enough, just that one hinge has gone and I figure the gpu (970m) is showing it's age now. I use it for general use and occasional gaming in various places and I tend to only be a few years behind in games (due to only buying stuff on sale and preferring console for multiplayer), so the gpu doesn't need to be the top choice.

My question here is whether the RTX 3060 will be enough to run more recent games at least 60fps in 1440p or even at 4k with medium/high settings? I ask because I sometimes plug into my TV for controller friendly game and recently upgraded from a 1080p to 4k model (1440p is fine for the distance I sit at.) If the 3060 is going to struggle there, is the 3070 max-q enough of a step up?

I can find loads of information at the moment about 3060 vs 3070 in general, suggesting that going for a 3070 makes sense on paper but it's gets confusing when trying to account for the power the chips are running at.

I rather stick with the Defiance model as I've always been pleased by the build from Clevo, I know they'll last. I'm not sure about Tongfang just yet, prefer not to risk it (maybe next time)

Last edited:

barlew

Godlike
Just looking for some clarification on the available GPUs with the current Defiance

Main Build specs:
Chassis & Display
Defiance Series: 17.3" Matte, Full HD, 144Hz, Pantone Validated 72% NTSC, LED Widescreen (1920x1080)
Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™ i7 Eight Core Processor 11800H (2.3GHz, 4.6GHz Turbo)
Memory (RAM)
16GB Corsair 2666MHz SODIMM DDR4 (2 x 8GB)
Graphics Card
NVIDIA® GeForce® RTX 3060 - 6.0GB GDDR6 Video RAM - DirectX® 12.1
1st M.2 SSD Drive
256GB PCS PCIe M.2 SSD (2000 MB/R, 1100 MB/W)
AC Adaptor
1 x 180W AC Adaptor
Warranty
3 Year Silver Warranty (1 Year Collect & Return, 1 Year Parts, 3 Year Labour)
Chassis
Clevo PC70HP (6GB RTX-3060, i7-11800H, 144Hz N7 PANTONE, Blank KB)

Few notes:
- Sticking with 2666Mhz ram, as I'm assuming going faster is a negligible difference.
- Going with the basic mandatory ssd, as I have 1tb drives to put in and it looks like the samsung 2tb I want is much cheaper to buy elsewhere.

I currently have a Defiance from 2015 that is still working well enough, just that one hinge has gone and I figure the gpu (970m) is showing it's age now. I use it for general use and occasional gaming in various places and I tend to only be a few years behind in games (due to only buying stuff on sale and preferring console for multiplayer), so the gpu doesn't need to be the top choice.

My question here is whether the RTX 3060 will be enough to run more recent games at least 60fps in 1440p or even at 4k with medium/high settings? I ask because I sometimes plug into my TV for controller friendly game and recently upgraded from a 1080p to 4k model (1440p is fine for the distance I sit at.) If the 3060 is going to struggle there, is the 3070 max-q enough of a step up?

I can find loads of information at the moment about 3060 vs 3070 in general, suggesting that going for a 3070 makes sense on paper but it's gets confusing when trying to account for the power the chips are running at.

I rather stick with the Defiance model as I've always been pleased by the build from Clevo, I know they'll last. I'm not sure about Tongfang just yet, prefer not to risk it (maybe next time)
Right I'll deal with your first note (even though its not your actual question) 3200MHz will have a difference the size of the difference will depend on the game. This video although not entirely scientific will give you a good idea:

Next and this is really simple, no, in short gaming at 4K with a laptop 3060 will be terrible.

1440p is a different matter. It will be playable for sure but how smooth it plays will depend on which game you are playing and the TGP of the card. If the chassis allows for max TGP on the card it will run pretty will but if its been lowered it could start to get ropey on high settings.

Personally for 1440p I'd be recommending a 3070 and above especially if you plan on maxing settings out.

If you want stick down your budget and main use cases and people on the forum will have a look and configure some options which would be best for you.

*Edit* - I just looked at the configurator, its only £10 more for 2 x 8GB 3200MHz. That is highly recommended.

ozka

@barlew

Thanks for linking that, going to go with 3200mhz since that price jump is nothing (I could've sworn it was more...)

My budget can stretch to a 3070, just wouldn't bother if it was only a minor improvement.

I'm now just debating whether to go for the Defiance "max-q" 3070 which looks like a clear low power or take a gamble with Tongfang and the Ionico 3070 which looks higher power.

Watching some comparison vids, the low power 3070 variations look only just slightly better than higher power 3060.

If that's the case, I feel like there's something I'm missing here in the pricing as it costs £150 more to go with defiance 3070 than the Ionico 3060 with similar performance. I guess the Clevo has better build/cooling perhaps.

Actually think I might give it a bit more of a wait and see if a higher power 3070 or AMD gpu Clevo shows up.

Edit: yeah reading around the forums more and I'm definitely staying away from Tongfang/Ionico this time, build reliability is too important. I would need to see them holding up past warranty period.

Last edited:

barlew

Godlike
@barlew

Thanks for linking that, going to go with 3200mhz since that price jump is nothing (I could've sworn it was more...)

My budget can stretch to a 3070, just wouldn't bother if it was only a minor improvement.

I'm now just debating whether to go for the Defiance "max-q" 3070 which looks like a clear low power or take a gamble with Tongfang and the Ionico 3070 which looks higher power.

Watching some comparison vids, the low power 3070 variations look only just slightly better than higher power 3060.

If that's the case, I feel like there's something I'm missing here in the pricing as it costs £150 more to go with defiance 3070 than the Ionico 3060 with similar performance. I guess the Clevo has better build/cooling perhaps.

Actually think I might give it a bit more of a wait and see if a higher power 3070 or AMD gpu Clevo shows up.

Edit: yeah reading around the forums more and I'm definitely staying away from Tongfang/Ionico this time, build reliability is too important. I would need to see them holding up past warranty period.
Ok to give you better advice it would really be helpful if you could tell me what your budget is, what your main use case is and whether or not that laptop needs to be mobile.

The answers to those will influence what I would recommend massively.

The general rule of thumb is to buy the best GPU you can afford as that will be the first part of the laptop which goes redundant.