17.3 inch Defiance, blu ray capable

daveeb

Enthusiast
Hi all

Just looking at the specs of the current laptop offerings with a view to possibly upgrading/replacing my nearly three year old Vortex IV.
One of my primary requirements is an internal blu ray writer....something that is as rare as hens teeth with the current range of chassis, and I assume will be phased out completely soon.

The Defiance 17.3 is described as being "Blu Ray capable", but nothing on the configurator allows for the selection of a blu ray drive or indeed any kind of optical drive. I thought it might be an option on one of the two hard drive options to replace with a blu ray drive and caddy but this doesn't seem to be the case.

Anyone have any ideas on this before I speak to them directly ?

Cheers

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
It's possible it's a leftover from an earlier chassis on which the configurator is based. I suppose it's Blu-ray capable in the sense that if you plug a blu ray drive into it and have the appropriate software it will then play the bluray...... :/

I don't think you can sacrifice one of the HDD bays for an ODD, since there's no hole in the chassis (no space for a bezel / slit to feed the discs through) even if there were space for one inside.

daveeb

Enthusiast
Thanks Oussebon...Looks like I should have got the Optimus 17 which still had the option for blu ray until a month or so ago. :yes: