17.3" Laptop Cooling

dancha

Hi all,

Ordered a Vortex III 17.3" recently - in processing and I'm cautious of trying to keep the rig in tip top condition for as long as possible.

Therefore I've been looking into coolers. Something which appears (at least according to my Google searches) to not have that good of a resource on for reviewing the numbers. I've checked a few sites who review them but they appear to either focus on the aesthetics or the price as a focus point :sweatdrop:

Does anyone have a recommendation for a good resource on CPU / GPU temps for different coolers?

Any pointing in the right direction would be greatly appreciated

Many Thanks

Dan

Torgan

Gold Level Poster
Hi,

I have used a CoolerMaster U3 for my laptop and heat has not been an issue at all (and I have monitored both GPU and CPU temps during gaming at ultra settings)

Link to the site I used : http://www.play.com/PC/PCs/4-/17587934/-/Product.html?ptsl=1&listingid=935339283

The laptop sits flush on top with no overhang at all, is USB powered and also has an extra USB port that runs my Logitech Z305 Speakers perfectly.

The added bonus of this cooler over others I looked into, is that the three fans are fully detachable so you can place them directly under your hotspots.

Hope this helps

Torgan.

Last edited:

dancha

Many thanks for the reply Torgan - do you have any thoughts on the dead pixel guarantee? looks like a cheap addition which could be very useful...

I've actually looked into getting that particular stand for about a week now - seems to have the most positive reviews. Was apprehensive about posting a link elsewhere but i've looked at that one on Play, Newegg, Amazon and through "best laptop cooler" Google searches.

What kind of Temp changes do you get with it? I've read other reviews which say that the fans are rather weak (approx 5-7 Centigrade) (link: http://www.google.co.uk/products/ca...olermaster&cid=9035653906442754527&os=reviews) so i'd be interested for you feedback on the temp changes.

I have ordered the thermal paste £9 addition and will do a good cleaning out on a monthly basis.

Torgan

Gold Level Poster
Hi,

First off, I would definitely recommend taking out the Dead Pixel Guarantee. I've had a few problems with Stuck Pixels since I received this current machine, but this is just a lottery really as nobody knows if there is a fault until you get working with a screen for a while.

Second, the U3 is the best cooler I have used, it is quite lightweight and portable (it kind of "wraps" around your closed laptop to make one lump when travelling, which is handy. It even comes with a securing strap so you can lash the two together). I'm sure there are lighter ones out there, but as you said before, they seem more concerned with looking pretty than actually doing the job...

Temperature wise, I can't really tell you what my temps are without using a cooler as I don't want to try it..... i'm sure you understand :)

But sitting on the Cooler CPU temperatures recorded using Coretemp are around 37 - 42 on each core when idle, pushing up to around 70ish when gaming. It will of course push higher than that at very specific and short lived intervals, but i'm talking on average.

GPU temps monitored using GPU-Z hit about 60 - 70 degrees when gaming and both GPU's sit at 35 degrees when just mooching around the web etc

The case does get very slightly warm in a couple of areas when i'm stressing the innards out a bit, but nothing like i've experienced with earlier machines, and certainly nothing that you would start to worry about.

Thermal Paste is again a must for me, £9 isn't a lot of money in the grand scheme of ordering a laptop..

Hope you enjoy your new beast!

Torgan

Animal

Hi,

First off, I would definitely recommend taking out the Dead Pixel Guarantee. I've had a few problems with Stuck Pixels since I received this current machine, but this is just a lottery really as nobody knows if there is a fault until you get working with a screen for a while.

Second, the U3 is the best cooler I have used, it is quite lightweight and portable (it kind of "wraps" around your closed laptop to make one lump when travelling, which is handy. It even comes with a securing strap so you can lash the two together). I'm sure there are lighter ones out there, but as you said before, they seem more concerned with looking pretty than actually doing the job...

Temperature wise, I can't really tell you what my temps are without using a cooler as I don't want to try it..... i'm sure you understand :)

But sitting on the Cooler CPU temperatures recorded using Coretemp are around 37 - 42 on each core when idle, pushing up to around 70ish when gaming. It will of course push higher than that at very specific and short lived intervals, but i'm talking on average.

GPU temps monitored using GPU-Z hit about 60 - 70 degrees when gaming and both GPU's sit at 35 degrees when just mooching around the web etc

The case does get very slightly warm in a couple of areas when i'm stressing the innards out a bit, but nothing like i've experienced with earlier machines, and certainly nothing that you would start to worry about.

Thermal Paste is again a must for me, £9 isn't a lot of money in the grand scheme of ordering a laptop..

Hope you enjoy your new beast!

Torgan

Ideal, having just read this thread I've already ordered the extended pixel guarantee and the thermal paste. I also bought the U3 cooling pad from Amazon based on the reviews. Looks like I've done all the right things! :)