17,3" OCTANE VI

drumks

Bronze Level Poster
Hi,

I ordered my computer today and I'll give you a review as soon as I get it.

Below configuration:

Châssis et affichageOctane Series : Écran large LED mat 17,3 pouces 144 Hz 72 % NTSC Full HD (1920 x 1080) + G-Sync
Processeur (Unité centrale)Processeur Six Core Intel® Core™i7 i7-8700 (3,2 GHz) 12 Mo de cache
Mémoire (RAM)16 Go Corsair 2666 MHz SODIMM DDR4 (2 x 8 Go)
Carte graphiqueNVIDIA® GeForce® RTX 2080 - 8 Go de RAM vidéo GDDR6 - DirectX® 12.1
1er Disque de stockageNON REQUIS(E)
1er disque SSD M.2500 Go SAMSUNG 970 EVO PLUS M.2, PCIe NVMe (jusqu'à 3500 Mo/R, 3200 Mo/W)
Lecteur de carte mémoireLecteur de carte intégré 6-en-1 (SD /Mini SD/ SDHC / SDXC / MMC / RSMMC)
Adaptateur C.A.1 adaptateur C.A. 330 W
BatterieBatterie lithium-ion 8 cellules Octane Series (82 WH)
Câble d'alimentation1 câble d'alimentation européen, 1 m (C13/14)
Pâte thermiquePÂTE THERMIQUE STANDARD POUR UN REFROIDISSEMENT EFFICACE
Carte sonIntel 2 Channel High Definition Audio
Bluetooth et sans filGIGABIT LAN ET KILLER™ WI-FI-AC 1550 M.2 GAMING 802.11AC + BLUETOOTH 5.0
Options USB/Thunderbolt4 PORTS USB 3.0 + 2 PORTS USB 3.1 Type C
Langue du clavierCLAVIER FRANÇAIS RÉTROÉCLAIRÉ OCTANE SERIES AVEC PAVÉ NUMÉRIQUE
Système d’exploitationSYSTÈME D’EXPLOITATION NON REQUIS
Langue du système d’exploitationFrance/République Française - Français
Support de récupération WindowsSUPPORT DE RÉCUPÉRATION NON REQUIS

Last edited:

drumks

Bronze Level Poster
I ordered my laptop with the option "FAST TRACK 5 WORKING DAYS".

I am very satisfied by the quality of the service, for each step PCs send you an email.
My laptop have been shipped today -> only 2,5 days after my order, well done !

I also received by email my 2 promotional code to get my games: Total War & Wolfenstein.

Next in few days when it will be in my hand.

Last edited:

Shepard

Enthusiast
Hi Drumks,

happy to hear that it's all going according to plan. I'm looking forward to read your review!
:)

drumks

Bronze Level Poster
Hi,

I got my computer since few hours.
I did a clean install of Windows 10 1903 and all went fine. All the drivers are ok (thank you Windows Update ;)).

First impression are very good, the computer is very qualitativ, touch pad, keyboard, display nothing negativ to say for now.

My main concern was about the temp and with the first test the results are ok (GPU around 75° in game and CPU in stress test at 83° max) -> Without any undervolt (just -0.100 mv core, it came stock like this)

I only found one problem, my CPU don't reach 4.6k MHz , with Aida64 stress test it reach only 4.3k MHz max and mainly around 4k MHz with Power Limit Throttling . Any one have any idea why ? I think about CPU turbo in the bios but i don't find any thing.

You'll find below the first benchmark:
temp cpu boost.JPG
firestrike stock.JPG
cinebench.JPG

Last edited:

debiruman665

Enthusiast
power limit throttling can be overcome if you set the short term and long power limits to higher values. When you hit current limit throttling that's a hardware limit set by the motherboard. As far as I can tell on the octane this isn't adjustable, even if you alter it on the bios.

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
I only found one problem, my CPU don't reach 4.6k MHz , with Aida64 stress test it reach only 4.3k MHz max and mainly around 4k MHz with Power Limit Throttling . Any one have any idea why ? I think about CPU turbo in the bios but i don't find any thing.

If you perform a stress test, the CPU will be loaded to the max on all cores.

The i7 8700's 6-core turbo boost rating is 4.3GHz (4.6GHz is for single core only). So 4.3GHz on stress test load is 100% normal and exactly what you'd get from the CPU in a desktop.

drumks

Bronze Level Poster
If you perform a stress test, the CPU will be loaded to the max on all cores.

The i7 8700's 6-core turbo boost rating is 4.3GHz (4.6GHz is for single core only). So 4.3GHz on stress test load is 100% normal and exactly what you'd get from the CPU in a desktop.

Oh ok, i didn't know it...
But when running OCCT or Aida64, the CPU on all core only reach 4k MHz, (we can see it on the screenshot). Why it can't reach 4.3k MHz ?

Moreover, comparing the firestrike graphics score i see that my result 22.394 are far below the other results with the same GPU (rtx 2080 Notebook). The average is aroung 25k

I'll do another test tonight :)

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
Turbo boost doesn't have infinite duration. It lets the CPU boost up to certain speeds for a given amount of time, depending on thermal and power limits.

So my i5 8250U, for example, boosts to 3.4GHz on all cores for ~30 seconds or so, then drops down to.. 2.8(?) GHz Something like that. Which is still well above the 1.6GHz base clock, but well below the max boost clock.

If you run a stress test and your CPU peaks briefly at 4.3GHz and then drops down to 4GHz, that sounds like normal turbo boost behaviour.

For a long time, Intel's desktop CPUs sustained max boost clocks, or near-to-max boost clocks, without that really being an issue. Then with the 8th Gen CPUs (e.g. 8700k etc), Intel added more cores but kept the same 'TDP' rating on CPUs. So boosting at max boost frequencies all the time wasn't usual any more. Motherboards had to use tricks to run the CPUs out of spec in order to keep that up. But a laptop won't necessarily be capable of the same - or at least probably won't do that by default.

So this could just be turbo boost behaving as turbo boost is actually meant to. i.e. you get the max boost rating for a short while, then to drops down a bit.

If that is what's happening, you could undervolt the CPU. Undervolting reduces power consumption, and therefore can increase turbo boost duration.

I'm not sure why the GPU performance is ~10% lower in benchmarks than some other laptop 2080s.

drumks

Bronze Level Poster
Thank you Oussebon for these explanation.
I wanted to try to undervolt the CPU tonight, i'll give you the results later ;)

Concerning the GPU score on 3D Mark Fire strike, i'am a bit disappointed. I thought it could reach min 24 000.
I found a lot of benchmark with that rtx 2080 notebook and with differents CPU (i7 8750h / i7 9750h / i7 8700k / i7 9700k / i7 9900k) who reach easily more than 22.3K.

I'll try with newest Nvidia's driver.

debiruman665

Enthusiast
This result was after a lot of tweaking just to get a good benchmark, that's the thing you can make your comp be amazing at benchmarks but its not exactly a real world test. It's nothing like gaming for 8 hours straight. The benchmark doesn't come anywhere near close to stressing my laptop like playing a real game does.

Attachments

• fire.PNG
    fire.PNG
    16.3 KB · Views: 197

drumks

Bronze Level Poster
This result was after a lot of tweaking just to get a good benchmark, that's the thing you can make your comp be amazing at benchmarks but its not exactly a real world test. It's nothing like gaming for 8 hours straight. The benchmark doesn't come anywhere near close to stressing my laptop like playing a real game does.

What was the result of the graphics test ?

debiruman665

Enthusiast
Must admit the results do seem low overall.

the laptop RTX is clocked at a few hundred Hz lower than the pc version.

What is the max temp of the RTX does anyone know if the GPU has the similar protection mechanisms that intel chips have.

my cpu can easily hit 100 if I allow it to, but the rtx stays around 80C I wonder if it has more headroom in order to participate in the benchmarklympics

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
the laptop RTX is clocked at a few hundred Hz lower than the pc version.

What is the max temp of the RTX does anyone know if the GPU has the similar protection mechanisms that intel chips have.

my cpu can easily hit 100 if I allow it to, but the rtx stays around 80C I wonder if it has more headroom in order to participate in the benchmarklympics

I purely looked at laptop RTX 2080s with the 8700 chip on 3DMark. The OP has the lowest score by quite some margin.

drumks

Bronze Level Poster
I did some test during lunch break.

I uninstalled nvidia driver with DDU and installed the lastest (480.36) and i undervolted the CPU with Throttlestop (-125mv cache -100mv core) and the result is... bad...