17.3" Omega Supreme (Clevo P570WM) Full Review

Animal

Hi all, as promised, now that I have finally received the laptop and had an opportunity to have a good play, here is my comprehensive review of the Omega Supreme.

Order Specification
Omega Supreme
17.3" Gloss 90% Gamut Full HD LED Widescreen (1920x1080)
Intel Core i7 Six Core Processor i7-3930K (3.2GHz) 12MB Cache
16GB Kingston Hyper-X Genesis 1600MHz SODIMM DDR3 (2 x 8GB)
Twin nVIDIA GeForce GTX 680M - 4.0GB DDR5 Video RAM
Kingston HyperX 480GB SSD
DVD/Blu-Ray Drive/Writer

Online Ordering Process

The online configuration page was really neat allowing you a multitude of custom configurations to meet your budget/requirements. However there is room for improvement regarding out of stock components (see Build & Dispatch Process)

Finance Option
I decided to opt for the interest free finance option. This was a really easy straight forward process which took no more than 20 minutes to complete and was agreed immediately through an automated process. There were no forms to print or post as this was all addressed electronically.

Build & Dispatch Process
For me, this was the Achilles heel part of the process. Having placed the order on 17/02/13 and entered the ninth working day, naturally I wanted to know how my order was progressing. This is a comprehensive breakdown of my experience;

On 28/02/13 I sent PCS an email requesting an update to be advised they were awaiting the chassis which was due in the following day and would 'progress as a priority'. I didn't want to hassle PCS so left it a few days but did not receive any updates.

On 04/03/13 I was advised that all orders were being treated as a priority and PCS hoped to dispatch in the next 1 to 2 days.

On 06/03/13 I received an automated email advising the Blu-Ray drive was out of stock with an ETA of 06/03/13. However checking the build notes, it showed the Intel 520 480GB SSD was also out of stock. Again I didn't hear anything after the date PCS quoted above so left it a few days.

On 11/03/13 I emailed PCS asking if BOTH parts were in stock. I was advised that they were in stock and were 'hoping to fit one today'??? By now I was starting to get frustrated and on 13/03/13 put a cheeky post on PCS forum which was promptly answered by Tom Davies.

On 14/03/13 received an email from Tom who kindly took ownership of my ordering frustrations and really got things moving. Tom advised that PCS were unable to give any form of ETA for the Intel SSD! Therefore had Tom not looked into this matter my order would have been stuck in the building status indefinately! In fairness to PCS, I searched the net to find that this component was pretty much sold out everywhere. In the end I decided to change the Intel SSD to the Kingston Hyper-X 480GB SSD.

On 15/03/13 PCS finally dispatched my laptop. On 18/03/13 I received a series of emails/text messages from DPD and PCS. This was an excellent service as it even gave an hour’s window of the expected time of delivery. I finally received the laptop that afternoon :).

Total time
19 working days

Unboxing
The laptop was reasonably well packed however it soon became apparent that one of the two power leads needed to run the laptop was missing. The most concerning issue for me was that there was slight cosmetic damage to the laptop lid. PCS however were brilliant and sent the missing power lead the same day I called them and quickly arranged an RMA for the damaged lid to be replaced (see RMA Process).

Installation

As I had my own copy of Windows 7 64 Ultimate, I installed a fresh copy. This went without a hitch other than the usual windows update glitches that always occur. All the drivers installed without any issues at all.

Laptop Build Quality
Visually the laptop actually looks rather cool. The lid and keyboard surround are constructed of brushed metal and there is a glowing tribal logo on the lid. The keyboard and track pad also are illuminated and you can customise the colours of your choice. You can even make it flash! The track pad is rather rough to the touch and over a short time think it would show signs of wear. The keyboard is solid and feels like a quality product. As stated, when I took delivery of the laptop, there was slight cosmetic damage to the lid. This could be due to the metal being soft so recommend that you never rest anything on top and generally handle with care. As stated, PCS have since replaced the lid but serves as a warning to others (including me!)

Laptop Performance
AWESOME! I could leave it there but I guess you are looking for my review. The Omega Supreme is an absolute beast and requires two enormous PSU’s to run. In fact each one is nearly double the size of a standard laptop PSU!

This is the specification of my previous laptop which I think will explain why I have such a large grin on my face with the specification of the new beast!

Packard Bell iPower
17.0" Gloss Widescreen (1440x900)
Intel Core Duo P8700 (2.53GHz)
4GB RAM
GPU nVidia 9800m - 1.0 GB
Western Digital 500GB HDD
DVD Writer

I decided to compare performance of both laptops which were running Windows 7 64bit Ultimate. It is worthy of note that I had disabled windows indexing and most of the start-up applications in MSConfig on both laptops during the tests. In addition I disabled page filing on the Omega as felt that as I have 16GB RAM, this really isn't required saving wear and tear on the SSD.

Here is some performance data;

Windows boot time from cold start (Packard Bell iPower)
2 minutes 11 seconds

Windows boot time from cold start (Omega Supreme)
35 seconds

Windows Experience (Packard Bell iPower)

CPU 6.2
RAM 6.2
GPU 6.8
GPU Gaming 6.8
Hard Drive 5.7

Windows Experience (Omega Supreme)

CPU 7.8
RAM7.8
GPU 7.9
GPU Gaming 7.9
Hard Drive 7.9

Cyberlink PowerDirector 11-2 hour video converting (Packard Bell iPower)

Approximately 1 hour 30 minutes

Cyberlink PowerDirector 11-2 hour video converting (Omega Supreme)

Approximately 15 minutes

3DMark (Omega Supreme only)
Cloud Gate 3DMark Score 21385. I have just acquired 3D Mark and to be honest am not really sure how good this score is. I think I may need to tinker with the GPU settings!

Gaming (Omega Supreme only)
The twin nVidia GTX 680m GPU's really makes the Omega the beast that it is. So far I have played Far Cry 2 and Battlefield 3 (what an awesome game) both with a screen resolution of 1920 x 1080 using ultra settings. The Omega ‘ate each game for breakfast’ with absolutely no fluctuation whatsoever. The average frame rate for each game was in the region of 60 fps.

Sound Quality
In view of some of the negative comments I had read, I really thought the sound would be absolutely horrendous. However it was not as bad as what I anticipated. Sure it's not brilliant but then again what laptops are? The Soundblaster software definately helped improve the quality. However in the end I decided to buy a Logitech Z305 speaker which hooks on the laptop lid which has vastly improved the quality.

Laptop Price
The first thing I want to comment on is the value for money. Whilst the Omega Supreme is not cheap, you really do get a lot for your money. I did loads of research and narrowed it down between the Omega Supreme and the Alienware M18x. The total cost of my specification for the Omega Supreme was £3000 (excluding Windows). Alienware however was in the region of £4500! I kid you not; try for yourself if you need convincing. Even then, the Alienware CPU is not as powerful as the Omega Supreme which allows the use of a desktop processor. In the end my decision boiled down to whether the Alienware chassis was worth an extra £1600. It was a no brainer!

RMA Process

Having to return a faulty or damaged product back to the seller/manufacturer can be a real pain. Unfortunately on receipt of my laptop there was minor cosmetic damage to the lid which I suspect was caused by one of the PSU’s which shared the same compartment as the laptop. The lid, which is constructed of a metal alloy, looks like it is easily prone to damage and serves as a warning to me to take extra care when moving the laptop (don’t let this put you off though!). I have to say that I was extremely impressed with the service PCS provided. I contacted PCS via email who asked for a couple of photos before promptly arranging collection of my laptop on the day of my choice using DPD. The repair was carried out the same day they received my laptop and was returned to me a few days later (taking into account the Easter holidays). Absolute full marks to PCS here for their RMA process; very impressive.

Overall

Pros
• Awesome performance
• Attractive design
• Good array of ports
• Value for money
• Excellent after care (RMA Process)
• Well managed forum which is frequently monitored by PCS
• Really nice ordering interface and configuration options
• Excellent delivery process with numerous automated updates via text messaging/email

Cons
• A lot of misinformation given by PCS concerning my order (big thanks to Tom though for sorting)
• Track pad rather rough
• Chassis lid easily prone to damage
• Highly addictive preventing any form of social life & possible marital friction!

I am really pleased with my purchase; it is an excellent performing laptop which really looks the business. Would I buy from PCS again? Despite the ordering debacle, most definately. Would I recommend this particular laptop to others? Absolutely! Thanks PCS for an awesome machine ;-)

Here is a link to a video which reviews a Sager NP9570 which is the American equivalent of the Omega Supreme which I found really useful http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=zvTVGNAlfgc&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DzvTVGNAlfgc

Last edited:

Corfate

Author Level
Great review :)

FYI, i found when i got my ultranote that the trackpad felt rough and had a texture to it. However, after a few days use, it smooths down as your finger wears it away :) Mines totally smooth now :) (Thats what she said)

Animal

Thanks guys. I've just edited my post as I have since managed to acquire the FPS for each game which gave an average performance of 60 fps ;-) As a separate matter, I have been blown away by Battlefield 3. Wow, what an incredible game. I can't understand why anyone would knock this!

PCS

Administrator
Staff member
Great review, +rep :)

Can you add some pics and we'll add your review to our configurator section?