17.3" VYPER vs 17.3" DEFIANCE VII

Whirly123

Bronze Level Poster
I am choosing between the 17.3" VYPER vs 17.3" DEFIANCE VII, they are speced up identically and the price is almost and its hard for me to judge the major differences between these two options.

From what I can see I will have a slightly better time with the larger battery of the Vyper (in theory) while the defiance has a slightly updated USB (that in practical terms I am not sure is makes much difference to me).

Is there any extra info to help me choose which is the better option as its only a tenner difference?

Thanks!

Whirly123

Bronze Level Poster
Because of the better battery of the Vyper, it seems like the way to go but there's lots of talk on here regarding the currently unresolved problem that on battery power the Vyper has terrible performance anyway.

They are both similar thickness, I wonder if either runs hotter or is heavier etc

RobertoDub

Wait, isn't the Vyper built on a magnesium chassis?
As far as I know, it's the only chassis that uses that material (as a result of synergy with Intel), which means lighter weight and improved heat dissipation properties.

Whirly123

Bronze Level Poster
This is useful information, thank you. I guess that means I should just wait and hope the Vyper technical issue is resolved.

Severon

I've just purchased the Defiance and I too was comparing against the Vyper. For me, one of the deciding factors was the location of where the webam on the Vyper. It being placed at the base of the screen doesn't sit well with me.

Whirly123

Bronze Level Poster
Is anyone able to give me a rough idea of battery life for the Defiance when doing simple stuff like internet browsing? It will be plugged in for anything intensive obviously.

barlew

Godlike
Wait, isn't the Vyper built on a magnesium chassis?
As far as I know, it's the only chassis that uses that material (as a result of synergy with Intel), which means lighter weight and improved heat dissipation properties.

The all Magnesium chassis of the Vyper is extremely nice. I was also surprised at how well it dissipates heat. The cooling system draws cool air in through the keyboard and then expels hot air out of the back and sides. This solutions appears to be extremely efficient at cooling especially for such a thin laptop.

Whirly123

Bronze Level Poster
The all Magnesium chassis of the Vyper is extremely nice. I was also surprised at how well it dissipates heat. The cooling system draws cool air in through the keyboard and then expels hot air out of the back and sides. This solutions appears to be extremely efficient at cooling especially for such a thin laptop.
Thanks for the info once again Barlew :) ... currently (before having the permanent fix obviously) what would you say the batterie life is like for the Vyper for non-intensive stuff?

barlew

Godlike
Thanks for the info once again Barlew :) ... currently (before having the permanent fix obviously) what would you say the batterie life is like for the Vyper for non-intensive stuff?

At a guess probably around 3 hours but I've never timed it. I am running on battery now from a full charge and I have a morning of work to get through so ill time it and let you know. You will need to bear in mind that I am using the temporary fixed you mentioned which pushes the PL1 and 2 states to 120W this is obviously substantially increased over the default Tongfang profile so potentially will reduce the battery time we should be seeing as it may well be drawing more power than it would other wise do.

barlew

Godlike

So I just got two hours out of it. I was browsing the internet, using word documents and carrying out minor picture editing.
A point to not which I have already mentioned is I have my PL1 and PL2 states set at 120W which is well above what you would normally have on battery power so this may have reduced the battery life.

hcb4gp

Is anyone able to give me a rough idea of battery life for the Defiance when doing simple stuff like internet browsing? It will be plugged in for anything intensive obviously.
Hopefully not too late answering this, I've only just seen it.
I have got over 4 hours out of my Defiance running on batteries, while doing ight duty stuff like word processing and browsing. The indicator said there was still some power left when I turned off.

RicDin

Well after much hesitation and countless threads similar to this one I've jumped the gun on a RECOIL IV with an i9-10850k and a RTX 2080 Super. The wallet cries but the heart rejoices.

Whirly123

Bronze Level Poster
Hopefully not too late answering this, I've only just seen it.
I have got over 4 hours out of my Defiance running on batteries, while doing ight duty stuff like word processing and browsing. The indicator said there was still some power left when I turned off.
Hmm, I guess that means the Vyper only on two hours shouldn't be representative after the fix? After all it has a bigger battery

Fede

Bronze Level Poster
I've just purchased the Defiance and I too was comparing against the Vyper. For me, one of the deciding factors was the location of where the webam on the Vyper. It being placed at the base of the screen doesn't sit well with me.
Hi Severon, I would likes to know if a body of Defiance VII Is in Aluminium.

Thank you

Fede

Bronze Level Poster
I ask a question because the same laptop it is sold by other companies. The description is : aluminium body.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
I ask a question because the same laptop it is sold by other companies. The description is : aluminium body.
Well PCS can't be held responsible for what other companies might say. PCS don't describe it as having an aluminium chassis.

Fede

Bronze Level Poster
Ok fine, but PCS itself writes the name Clevo on all its models. And Clevo indicates the PC70DD2 (Defiance VII) model as a metal body.

Attachments

• Senza titolo-1.jpg
    Senza titolo-1.jpg
    812 KB · Views: 171