17" Optimus IV ...Questions

Hey people!

I’ve been watching this forum for a while now, and I was originally going to get the 15” Optimus III, but for £5 might as well get the 17” Optimus IV :detective:
Before I buy, I’ve got a few questions if the forum could help me out?

1. What are the differences between the new and old models (W170ER & W370ET)
    Apart from graphics and colour (!)?
  2. Does the 370ET have an improved keyboard, cooling system, noise level? These seem to the previous models weakness.
  3. Can you update the dvd drive to a bluray drive at a later date, will I be restricted in anyway (manufacturer/software issues).
  4. Stock matte and glossy display. How's the matte? Will the contrast and brightness be noticeably less then the glossy?
  5. My current laptop, Asus W3J , hast lasted 6yrs after heavy use, can I reasonably expect the same from this?
  6. This in my probable final spec, thoughts?
    ...gone a bit over budget :S but n/m.
Chassis & Display
Optimus Series: 17.3" Matte Full HD LED Widescreen (1920x1080)
Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™i7 Quad Core Mobile Processor i7-3610QM (2.30GHz) 6MB
Memory (RAM)
8GB SAMSUNG 1333MHz SODIMM DDR3 MEMORY (2 x 4GB)
Graphics Card
NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 660M - 2.0GB DDR5 Video RAM - DirectX® 11
Memory - Hard Disk
500GB WD SCORPIO BLACK WD5000BPKT, SATA 3 Gb/s, 16MB CACHE (7200 rpm)
DVD/BLU-RAY Drive
8x SATA DVD±R/RW/Dual Layer (+ 24x CD-RW)
Thermal Paste
ARCTIC MX-4 EXTREME THERMAL CONDUCTIVITY COMPOUND (£9)
Bluetooth & Wireless
GIGABIT LAN & WIRELESS INTEL® ADVANCED-N 6235 (300Mbps) + BLUETOOTH
Operating System
Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit w/SP1 - inc DVD & Licence
Warranty
3 Year Silver Warranty (1 Year Collect & Return, 1 Year Parts, 3 Year Labour) (£5)

Price: £810.00 including VAT and delivery.

Some reviews I found helpful (for you lurkers wondering whether to take the plunge):
http://www.notebookcheck.net/Quick-Review-Schenker-XMG-A722-Notebook.80223.0.html
http://www.notebookcheck.com/Test-One-K73-2O-Clevo-W370ET-Notebook.78123.0.html

*Bonus Question* There's a Saddam smiley, where's the Gadaffi one?

PCS

Administrator
Staff member
Welcome to our folrums :)

a. Upgrade to 2GB GTX 660M from 1GB GT 650M.
b. Upgrade to premium Onkyo Speakers from a standard set.
c. Upgrade to High Quality 79.86WH 8 cell battery with fantastic battery life from 6 cell 48.84WH battery.

2. As far as I am aware the other items are the same.

3. You are welcome to install a Blu-ray drive at a later date.

4. Matte is recommended and is provided by default now. The colours are very high quality and the glare is minimal.

5. It will last as long as you are willing to make it last, depending on the software you need to run.

6. The only thing missing from your spec is an SSD. If you can adjust your specification to fit in an SSD I would highly recommend it.

iPHAILZ

Bronze Level Poster
Welcome to our folrums :)

a. Upgrade to 2GB GTX 660M from 1GB GT 650M.
b. Upgrade to premium Onkyo Speakers from a standard set.
c. Upgrade to High Quality 79.86WH 8 cell battery with fantastic battery life from 6 cell 48.84WH battery.

2. As far as I am aware the other items are the same.

3. You are welcome to install a Blu-ray drive at a later date.

4. Matte is recommended and is provided by default now. The colours are very high quality and the glare is minimal.

5. It will last as long as you are willing to make it last, depending on the software you need to run.

6. The only thing missing from your spec is an SSD. If you can adjust your specification to fit in an SSD I would highly recommend it.

Hi,

Have you got the optimus 4 chassis in stock now along with the matte screen?

The reason i ask is i am on my 10th working day now and appreciate the upgrade as good will but when i try to amend to fast track it says you have no matte screens in stock.

I was promised delivery mid week and hope this is still the case?