1950's 5 MB hard drive

Martinr36

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
This shows how far we've come

Screenshot_20230609_002232_Facebook~01.jpg

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
the guys in the suits on the left hand side of the picture are looking as if to say "so, we put the thingymebob into the do da and that makes it go vroom vroom".
My father was the project manager for the Lloyds bank and Bank Of South America inputting their mainframes back in the 60's and 70's, he'd spend a 4 year stint in each location overseeing the installation and roll out.

One of the mainframes (no idea what model) they wanted a RAM upgrade as wanted the extra power after a couple of years. They had an engineer callout. Cost about the equivalent of £10,000 in todays money for the callout. My Dad oversaw the engineer out of interest, he literally flipped a switch on the mainboard which accessed the extra RAM capacity, the full amount was installed by default.

How much of a con is that! Can you imagine if the internet and wiki pages had been around then? Those early engineers made an absolute fortune!

HomerJ

Prolific Poster
My father was the project manager for the Lloyds bank and Bank Of South America inputting their mainframes back in the 60's and 70's, he'd spend a 4 year stint in each location overseeing the installation and roll out.

One of the mainframes (no idea what model) they wanted a RAM upgrade as wanted the extra power after a couple of years. They had an engineer callout. Cost about the equivalent of £10,000 in todays money for the callout. My Dad oversaw the engineer out of interest, he literally flipped a switch on the mainboard which accessed the extra RAM capacity, the full amount was installed by default.

How much of a con is that! Can you imagine if the internet and wiki pages had been around then? Those early engineers made an absolute fortune!

this reminds me of gaming walk-throughs and tips used to work, where in the manual there was a premium rate number to ring if you wanted help getting through a level etc,

now, some kid uploads a video within a seconds showing how things are done,

they will never know the pain joy of being charged a pound a min

Martinr36

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
this reminds me of gaming walk-throughs and tips used to work, where in the manual there was a premium rate number to ring if you wanted help getting through a level etc,

now, some kid uploads a video within a seconds showing how things are done,

they will never know the pain joy of being charged a pound a min
And as for loading stuff off of a C60 cassette😂😂😂

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
And as for loading stuff off of a C60 cassette😂😂😂
Cassettes were just awful, 9 times out of 10 you'd wait for 45 minutes for a calculator program to load in, and then right at the end it would display some random error.

That's when the tape didn't get eaten by the reader, that happened sooooo often!

Martinr36

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Cassettes were just awful, 9 times out of 10 you'd wait for 45 minutes for a calculator program to load in, and then right at the end it would display some random error.

That's when the tape didn't get eaten by the reader, that happened sooooo often!
Oh the joys of winding them back on using a pencil or a biro

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
All the hip producers release a limited edition tape nowadays, it's insane.

I've just ordered a new box set from Laurent Garnier who is probably one of the most influential modern dance music influencers of all of them, doesn't need to do anything special to sell stuff, all his stuff is sells out before it's released, it's got a tripple vinyl, CD (ok, can excuse I guess) and a damn tape!!! What the hell???? Who said that was ok?????

AgentCooper

At Least I Have Chicken

Christ almighty. If I ever get access to a time machine, me and you are heading back to that era, flipping a few switches and then investing heavily on shares in Apple. We might also need to get hold of a DeLorean and a sports almanac so we feel like the real deal.

0C961AAC-DE66-475E-A8EC-2722414B0C4D.gif

#notTHATscott

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I just don't get it.

Of course, I won't actually burn it because it will likely be worth a few bob when I'm gone, perhaps my nephew can buy a bag of Haribo or something when he's in his 30s.

20230610_203406.jpg