1st Hard drive / M.2 SSD Drive

spooky23

Daft question here. I'm guessing that when the laptop I ordered gets built W10 will be installed on the drive I've selected in M.2 SSD Drive? I've got a SSHD as the 1st hard drive and a 256GB SAMSUNG SM961 in M2.

Thanks

keynes

Multiverse Poster
It should but the configurator shows a warning to confirm where you wish to have the OS. A hybrid drive is not going to bring many benefits if the main drive is an ssd

Stephen M

Author Level
As you proceeded in the order process the confiurator should have asked you, it usually goes by default to the m2. If not too late to change your order I would suggest another drive to the SSHD, they are not up to much.

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
You should have had the choice when you completed your specification. The default is to put it on the M.2 SSD
idoaT6T.png

spooky23

Thanks for the quick replies. My order is still in processing. To be honest, I regret not asking these questions before pulling together the specs.

1TB SLIM SERIAL ATA III 2.5" HARD DRIVE WITH 128MB CACHE (5,400rpm)
Change to: 1TB SEAGATE FIRECUDA 2.5" SSHD - UP TO 5X FASTER THAN HDD!
Partitions: 200GB, 300GB, 500GB

M.2 SSD Drive NONE
Change to: 256GB SAMSUNG SM961 M.2, PCIe NVMe (up to 3100MB/R, 1400MB/W)

My original quote had one drive. I then added the SSD and changed the 1st hard drive. The hybrid drive is just for data (mostly family pics, images etc for my site). Am I better off with the original one?

Appreciate any guidance on this.

Stephen M

Author Level
The SM961 will be great for the OS and main progs plus a normal drive for data will be fine, a 7200rpm will be a bit quicker if you are moving a vast load of files to it but for day to day use you will not notice a difference. The problem with hybrids is they have a fairly small SSD area and you have no control over what goes on it.

spooky23

Thanks again.

So ignoring the issue with hybrids (and the small SSD area they have), would their general performance still not match or improve on a normal drive, considering they're meant to be faster? Or is the extra speed only for that small SSD area?

I appreciate the sentiment that there is no point in SSHD if say a normal drive can do the job perfectly well and reach the same level as the hybrid and still cost less.

edit: I guess my thinking was to go with 1TB Hybrid over the 5400rpm 1 TB ATA, as it will be in essence overall faster. Understand that a 500Gb 7200rpm would the best performance choice, but need 1TB.

Last edited:

Stephen M

Author Level
I am not sure about the current hybrids but the previous versions had a 5400rpm HDD part which is the same as standard drives. There may be some info online about the Firecuda but I am suspicious when no figures are given, only that it is faster.