1W Over 450W >.<

Aki

Hey guys im ordering a gaming rig here and this is typical.

We notice that you have selected a 450W power supply, but based on our calculations we recommend you change your selection to a 600W power supply because your computer could require up to 451W of power including a 20% allowance.

Do i ignore it or bump down my cooler? =/
I just want a nice cooler so it doesnt over heat and die..

tom_gr7

Life Serving
personally I'd always go for a 650w corsair psu, good quality and energy efficient, both important for a psu.

edit- reliable too

JSG10

Expert
The warning is there for a reason, as is the allowance. 450W is cutting it a little fine, personally I'd never use such a low PSU. Always better to have more than less right? Also it's not a hugely expensive upgrade, but if you want to upgrade later it will be a pain in the ass to switch yourself if you're not tech savvy or cost you more money by having to pay some other company to fit it for you.

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
Got to agree with JSG10,skimping on a PSU is not recommended,
It could cause problems from PC refusing to start to damaging components.
Quote from the PCS configurator
"A PSU is the Power Supply Unit for your computer. The average PSU nowadays ranges from 450W up to and above 800W. If you are ordering a powerful computer, for example a Core i7 CPU, 6GB+ RAM and a High-End Graphics Card, we seriously recommend you choose a more powerful Power Supply Unit with advanced CPU cooling fan. They may add a small amount to you order, but it will make your computer more reliable, efficient and increase the overall lifespan of your PC."

mishra

Rising Star
Also worth mentioning is that with 450W you can forget about any SLI setup in the future. So maybe it's best to pay little extra and get a decent PSU and then you are sorted in the future?

Through my experience my 500W PSU is not enough in my system. Yes, I can overclock my gfx but only just, if I try to push it more - it simply crash. Swapped temporarily to a 650W PSU at work, and problem got fixed... can OC my gfx much more. But... it's a bend idea of spending money for a new PSU just to overclock my gfx bit more... could just invest that money in much better graphics in first place. Ehh... always learning it the hard way.

To sum up... get as good PSU as you can (dnt skimp money on it), you will replace lots of bits in your PC, a good PSU will stay with you for good. Unless, you have absolutely no plans for any overclock, SLI setup or any future upgrades...

Aki

Okay everyone thanks for the advice 650w it is, i'll just exclude the wireless mouse and keyboard and anti virus

JSG10

Expert
Good decision.

Imo, a wireless mouse and kb is also just a pain, you're forever replacing batteries, I raid on RIFT with a friend of mine with wireless mouse and kb and I've lost count of the amount of times in the middle of a raid he's said "argh batteries have died, just a sec" and normally in the middle of a boss fight. Wired is the way to go if you've got a desktop, they're really not that much of a hinderance.

As for AV. Just get MSE (Microsoft Security Essentials) It's free, it's from Microsoft and it's actually bloody good :) That + the Windows 7 firewall and you'll be fine :) Had my PC for over a year now and just ran these 2 and not had a single problem :)