2 possibilities for laptop specs: please help me choose

accip

Hello everyone,

I have been looking at possible laptop setups and have come to 2 possibilities, but do not know which one to choose. Could you please provide some insight on which setup would be best for a gaming oriented laptop?

The setups:

The 15.6" Optimus VI
Intel i7-4870HQ (3.7GHz, Turbo)
Nvidia GeForce GTX 960M (2GB)
750GB Scorpio Black HDD,16mb cache 7200 rpm.
8GB RAM

The 15.6" Defiance
intel i7-4720HQ (2.60GHz; 3.6GHz, Turbo)
Nvidia GeForce GTX 970M (3GB)
500GB SERIAL ATA HDD, 32mb cache, 7200 rpm.
8GB RAM

Help is highly appreciated!

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Hello everyone,

I have been looking at possible laptop setups and have come to 2 possibilities, but do not know which one to choose. Could you please provide some insight on which setup would be best for a gaming oriented laptop?

The setups:

The 15.6" Optimus VI
Intel i7-4870HQ (3.7GHz, Turbo)
Nvidia GeForce GTX 960M (2GB)
750GB Scorpio Black HDD,16mb cache 7200 rpm.
8GB RAM

The 15.6" Defiance
intel i7-4720HQ (2.60GHz; 3.6GHz, Turbo)
Nvidia GeForce GTX 970M (3GB)
500GB SERIAL ATA HDD, 32mb cache, 7200 rpm.
8GB RAM

Help is highly appreciated!

The Defiance would be much more powerful for gaming. Once you have the basic quad core i7 chip, the next important thing is the graphics card, you want as powerful as you can get.

accip

Would it be beneficial to get RAID 0 with 2 hdd of the same type for the defiance or would that just be wasting money?

Additionally, is 8gb of ram enough? Also, should I get an msata for the system or a small-ish (120-240gb or so) SSD?

Newbie here, I have no clue about all of this :/

Last edited:

keynes

Multiverse Poster
Would it be beneficial to get RAID 0 with 2 hdd of the same type for the defiance or would that just be wasting money?

for gaming it would be a waste of money, if you want fast loading times you will need an ssd

accip

I am a bit confused as to why the defiance only has 1 option for a 7200 rpm hdd and it is only 500gb. I would like more space, but do no want to go for a 5400 rpm hdd. Would getting 2 hdd with 500gb each (no raid, just seperate hdds) be a smart idea or not?

Or should I get a 120gb SAMSUNG EVO SSD and the 500gb serial ata hdd?

The more I look at the options, the more confused I get.

Last edited: