2 questions regarding my recent arrival..

Petchi b

1 - I heard that for powerful case fans its best to connect them direct to PSU rather than the motherboard, what are your views on this? I had to re-connect my side fan on my CM HAF-X and I just connected to the motherboard as it was the easiest option, would there be any issues with this?

2 - Has anyone had any issues with the E2473HDS Iiyama monitor? I connected it using a HDMI cable. I installed monitor and GPU drivers but I had this black border all the way around the screen and no matter what screen resolution I choose it stayed there. I eventually had to use overscan to get rid of it but it was quite weird as I have never had this problem before with any other monitors.

Teaz

Godlike
Nothing wrong connecting it to the motherboard, usually its how it is. direct to the psu would just have it jacked at full speed leaving your pc like a mini jet engine perhaps. You can control the fan speeds with programs if felt need or purchase a fan controller to adjust it or with multiple fans.

Petchi b

Teaz thanks.

Re my 2nd point - I have just installed Crysis and the black border has reappeared again :s It's fine on the desktop and internet etc as I have used overscan but that doesn't seem to translate to games. Plus in AMD Vision it says the highest res I can have is 1680x1050?? I have used Windows to get the full res on desktop. Also in Crysis the highest res it will let me choose is 1600x900?? I'm confused, there must be something wrong..

I think I'm going to try using a DVI cable to see if that helps.

Last edited:

Petchi b

It works perfectly now that I'm using the DVI cable! The full res options are now showing in AMD Vision. Dont know what the problem was with the HDMI cable but it didn't like it!

Teaz

Godlike
good to see it working fine now. i was just about to say have you tried fiddling through all the settings with the monitor which may help.

Petchi b

It's strange about the problems with HDMI. I'm assuming DVI will not lessen the quality of the picture, does HDMI just add sound really?

Petchi b

Alright thanks. Well although my monitor has speakers, I have my own Creative Inspire 5.1 setup with onboard HD sound so that will do for me :D