2 year old PCS machine broken down.

schwinks

Hi,
It's been a while, but was hoping the Motherboard would last more than 2 years.

Yesterday PC below failed to boot, only the fans ran. No signal received on monitor. Took to local repair guy who says the Motherboard needs replacing probably due to a firmware update.
Has suggested replacing with an MSI b550. (£200 all in).

Any advise on the above would be greatly appreciated.

Case
CORSAIR 5000D AIRFLOW TEMPERED GLASS GAMING CASE
Processor (CPU)
AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Six Core CPU (3.7GHz-4.6GHz/35MB CACHE/AM4)
Motherboard
ASUS® TUF GAMING B550-PLUS (DDR4, USB 3.2, 6Gb/s) - ARGB Ready!
Memory (RAM)
16GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 3200MHz (2 x 8GB)
Graphics Card
6GB NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 2060 - HDMI, DP - VR Ready!
1st M.2 SSD Drive
500GB SAMSUNG 980 PRO M.2, PCIe NVMe (up to 6900MB/R, 5000MB/W)
1st M.2 SSD Drive
1TB PCS PCIe M.2 SSD (2200 MB/R, 1500 MB/W)
Power Supply
CORSAIR 850W RMx SERIES™ MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOLD, ULTRA QUIET
Power Cable
1 x 1.5 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
Processor Cooling
CoolerMaster MasterLiquid Lite 240 High Performance Liquid Cooler
Thermal Paste
STANDARD THERMAL PASTE FOR SUFFICIENT COOLING
Sound Card
ONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Network Card
10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT
Wireless Network Card
WIRELESS INTEL® Wi-Fi 6 AX200 2,400Mbps/5GHz, 300Mbps/2.4GHz PCI-E CARD + BT 5.0
USB/Thunderbolt Options
MIN. 2 x USB 3.0 & 2 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL + MIN. 2 FRONT PORTS
Operating System
Windows 10 Home 64 Bit - inc. Single Licence [KUK-00001]

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
It's worth getting a quote from PCS, you'll still be in labour warranty, but you may even still have manufacturers warranty anyway in which case it would be replaced for free

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Just confimed, standard motherboard warranty is 3 years with Asus.

So I'd RMA the system with PCS, let them know about parts warranty, they may well offer to replace it and sort the warranty with Asus themselves, they've done that before.

You have to be careful of local repair guys, they can be crooks at times.

And just to stress, in the future, any BIOS update should be done only with PCS authorisation as that covers you against this very problem and would automatically cover you if anything went wrong. Any warranty is 3 years for that.

Last edited:

B4zookaw

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
"Took to local repair guy who says the Motherboard needs replacing probably due to a firmware update." - Mmm, what? That makes no sense? Unless you did a BIOS update and it failed, but I don't think that's the case. Chancing their arm or not bothered to figure out the cause I'd say. But sounds like you're doing the right thing and going down teh PCS road.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
I agree with @B4zookaw, that sounds like a "poke and hope" style of troubleshooting. When a new board failed to fix it they'd claim that the (mythical) motherboard failt had damaged something else. The world is full of cowboys....

schwinks

"Took to local repair guy who says the Motherboard needs replacing probably due to a firmware update." - Mmm, what? That makes no sense? Unless you did a BIOS update and it failed, but I don't think that's the case. Chancing their arm or not bothered to figure out the cause I'd say. But sounds like you're doing the right thing and going down teh PCS road.
Thanks for reply. No I didn't do a BIOS update. The PC was working yesterday morning, turned on in the evening from the wall plug and the fans immediately started up which has never happened before, I then pressed the PC on button, which lit up but didn't have any effect on start up. Fans also continued.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Thanks for reply. No I didn't do a BIOS update. The PC was working yesterday morning, turned on in the evening from the wall plug and the fans immediately started up which has never happened before, I then pressed the PC on button, which lit up but didn't have any effect on start up. Fans also continued.
I would avoid that PC repair shop in the future, unfortunately they're either incompetent, or just taking you for a ride. Either way, they're not what a PC Repair shop is about.

The very first thing if they'd confirmed it was indeed a faulty motherboard would have been to look up the manufacturers warranty.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Decades ago we had a guy working with us who claimed to be a hardware wizard, so we directed first-line hardware issues to him. He once sent a monitor (they were 80 x 24 green screen monitors, and about 12 inches back then) back to the vendor with a report of "faulty display".

It came back a few days later with a docket attached which read "brightness adjusted". We never use the 'hardware wizard' again!

That's a true story....

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
Must admit, I've never visited a PC repair shop that didn't seem shady. We have one locally and rumour is his mortgage is paid by pensioners.