2133 or 1600 ram

jayjay

Enthusiast
i will be getting an oc i7 sandy bridge witch ram should i get and why 8gb of 2133 or 8 gb of 1600 rig will be for gaming movies music thanks

pcdan

Bronze Level Poster
not really to sure with that but i think 2133 would mean if u want to OC the cpu to over prob 4.5 not to sure ull prob have to wait with someone with more knowlage bout the higher ram says somehting

BAD SANTA

I would go for the faster ram but only because I would overclock and for bragging rights but you will have a job to overclock the ram that fast anyway and void your warranty so if your not going to do that then go with a pcs pre overclocked machine and get 1600 that will be super fast and stable.

prixat

Hope this threads not too old to necropost!

What was the conclusion here?

Does 2133 memory help in an overclocked system? (and why can't I specify 16GB of it on the spec. form?)

Does 1600 memory become a bottleneck in an overclocked system?

NMEBowen

Master Poster
go for the 1600 its probably better atm for oc`ing and the 2133 tends to be unstable, hope that answers your question.

R0B_

Bronze Level Poster
With SB, the speed of the memory doesn't improve the overclock. As Samx300 has stated, trying to run RAM at 2133MHz above 4.6GHz is hard. To be honest, trying to run it above 4.5GHz has been slightly challenging.

As far to actual improvements in your computing experience, RAM of that speed only plays a part when using things like Photoshop or 3D - rendering software. To improve game quality you don't need to go over 1600MHz unless of course you want bragging rights. Remember that increases to RAM speed increase the thermal output of the system and as a consequence, better cooling is required on occasion.

R0B_

Bronze Level Poster
Ha ha. Don't panic. When I say there is a mild improvement, I mean in the speed tests done in benching scores.

Now... Unless you're working to extremely tight deadlines, in a competitive industry driven environment where knocking around 20-40mins of time off a 8 hour day will save you money over the year... (You see where I'm going with this).

I got the Kingston 2133MHz RAM from PCS and I do use Photoshop and convert some HD video from time to time and to be perfectly honest, I wasted money. Saying that, I still run it at 2133MHz because I can. Remember as well that if you consider overclocking your CPU, it is easier using 1600MHz.

Please let me know if you have any further questions and I will happily help.

samx300

Enthusiast
With SB, the speed of the memory doesn't improve the overclock. As Samx300 has stated, trying to run RAM at 2133MHz above 4.6GHz is hard. To be honest, trying to run it above 4.5GHz has been slightly challenging.

As far to actual improvements in your computing experience, RAM of that speed only plays a part when using things like Photoshop or 3D - rendering software. To improve game quality you don't need to go over 1600MHz unless of course you want bragging rights. Remember that increases to RAM speed increase the thermal output of the system and as a consequence, better cooling is required on occasion.

Hey R0B_,

I completely agree mate. It is indeed difficult to run your Hyper X T1 @ the specified 2133MHz speeds unless you tinker around for the perfect voltage settings etc. Thanks to you, I have been able to run my RAM with more confidence @ 2133MHz by upping the VCCIO voltage. I am facing frequent BSODs etc and I am in discussions with PCS. Since I have been primarily suspecting my OCZ Vertex 3 as the root cause of all issues, PCS has advised my to try installing the OS on a separate HDD to see if the issues persist. If they don't, then we would have successfully isolated the faulty SSD, in which case PCS will help me upgrade the firmware (from 2.06 to 2.15) from OCZ.

Will keep you posted.
Cheers

R0B_

Bronze Level Poster
I've been essentially spending all of my spare time learning how the Sandy Bridge platform works and what voltages do what over the last couple of months. I can't comment on the SSD as I don't use one (yet), but I know that VCCIO when running 2133MHz will definitely be between 1.1v - 1.2v... Never go over 1.2v though for 24/7 use!

Also remember to leave VCCSA voltage at the default value of AUTO. (Usually about 0.925v) as this does not improve overclock.

CPU PLL should be between 1.7v to 1.8v if you're under 4.8GHz and I've known people to lower it further and remain stable.

My settings for my 4.5GHz 2600k are:

Vcore: 1.315v (In BIOS)
DRAM: 1.65v
CPU PLL: 1.8v
VCCIO: 1.3125v
VCCSA: Auto
PCH Voltage: Auto

RAM running at 2133MHz (9-11-9-27 2T)

I can run Prime95 Blend all week and I've used LinX 0.6.4 for 24hours using 6500mb of RAM. It is stable.