2400mhz vs 2666mhz and standard TIM vs cooler mastergel. New Recoil 2 15 RTX on Way!!

superswirl

Bronze Level Poster
Ok, so pretty excited as I literally just ordered a pre-built Recoil 2 15 RTX 2070 MQ to take advantage of the same day disptach (no need for paying extra for the 3 day build) as I need it quick and living in France adds to delivery time to begin with...

However, I was hesitant because ideally I wanted to upgrade to 2666mhz corsair Ram which I might still order and replace when the laptop comes but whats more of a concern is that the pre-built come with the stand thermal paste and here too wanted to upgrade to the cooler mastergel stuff that presumably helps with temps?

Have you guys got any experience with the standard paste? And do you think its just a waste of time to swap the ram for 2666mhz. I the little extra speed of the RAM could help feed the 2070 MQ a little better and it should also score better in things like cinebench R15

I'll be adding an nvme soon as well as tit comes with a 512GB ssd but on the SATA interface. Although I've see a lot of videos showing that the advantage of nvme pcie over sata ssd isnt always particularly noticeable. ie: loading games, apps

Thanks for any input guys!

Will

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
Cinebench really doesn't care about RAM frequency. Short of going for a world-record, it's a non-issue
https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews..._Memory_Performance_Benchmark_Analysis/7.html
https://www.anandtech.com/show/8959...-3200-with-gskill-corsair-adata-and-crucial/5

Most gaming barely cares about RAM frequency especially when GPU-bound, which most AAA titles at ultra are going to be even at 1080p with a powerful GPU.

Some games really like RAM frequency. WoW, FO4. Others (Total War: Attila and probably all the other TWs too) see tiny gains (.4fps or something going from 1600MHz to 2400MHz DDR3 in my case).

Unless your major passion is for one of the games that can't get enough frequency, it's not worth it to replace a whole RAM kit just for 266MHz. Especially with RAM prices still being around double what they used to be.

Although I've see a lot of videos showing that the advantage of nvme pcie over sata ssd isnt always particularly noticeable. ie: loading games, apps
That's right from what I've seen, yes.

superswirl

Bronze Level Poster
Yep I might just leave the Ram alone but people are seeing good results with repasting and I've also done it in the past and was really pleased

Especially since the Recoil 2 seems like a really friendly chassis to work with, I looked it up and its super easy so I'll do a repaste very soon!

bibolcm

Yep I might just leave the Ram alone but people are seeing good results with repasting and I've also done it in the past and was really pleased

Especially since the Recoil 2 seems like a really friendly chassis to work with, I looked it up and its super easy so I'll do a repaste very soon!

Nice to know that you made your choice!! Why did you go for the 2070 max q? I'm still confused.. When you receive the laptop can you post some pictures?

The paste, just, buy one that has good reviews, check the temps, repaste and try to know when do you need to repaste again.(eg. when temps are high again or you fill that is hot).
In my current laptop(not a gaming one, but i play alot) I repaste alot of times, and i clean it too alot. But it's not a gaming laptop. On recoil check on youtube Bob of all trades, he explains alot about temps, repaste, undervolt.. And he does that on the overpower laptop, which is the same chassis.

superswirl

Bronze Level Poster
The 2070-MQ is more expensive but I have a G-sync 1440p monitor so its nice to have the extra 2GB VRAM and hopefully with time and newer drivers we will see the 2070 MQ pull away a bit more

I still can't find much data on the 2070 MQ performance but I think its fair to say that it sits between a 1070 MQ and 1070 laptop. Not great but hopefully it will be at least around that sort of performance

I won't bother repasting unless it clearly has temperature issues but I usually like knowing its been done properly.