2670QM vs 2760QM - RAM

Hi,

I'm about to order a Vortex 2 with the 2670QM and 8gb when I noticed due to various price drops I have the budget to up the ram to 16gb - however the website tells me that processor won't correctly support more than 8gb - can anybody shed some light on this?

I was originally hoping to go with the 2670 and bump up the ram later, but if it won't support more than 8gb am I better biting the financial bullet and getting the 2760?

njmarkham

Bronze Level Poster
2670 supports 16gb at 1066, not 1333 or above, the max there is 8gb. If you feel you need that much memory, go for it. However in most cases that is pretty excessive.

Ok, interesting, it's just the idea of future proofing. 16gb might be excessive now but not further down the line, I may attempt video editing too so all the RAM possible might help...

djkeenan

I'd have to agree that getting that much ram is excessive. Upgrade later down the line IF you have to as i dont know any app that uses over 4gb let alone 8gbs but i dont video edit :p. It really is easy to upgrade ram (just google clevo np1750/np1780 ram upgrade to see how its done) or send it back to pcs later in the year and ask them to do it.

Tehmoe

Gold Level Poster
By the time you will need 16gb of ram your laptop as a whole will be away out of date so save your self some money, or better yet upgrade your graphics card as I guess your laptop will be mainly for games, that would give you a lot more benefit now and in the future then 16gb of ram.