2nd Hard Drive Randomly Disappears Windows 7

TheMightyChris901

Bronze Level Poster
Hello, I have a problem where my hard drive will randomly disappear in 'My Computer' and I cannot load anything off the hard drive until I restart my PC. Today it has happened twice but luckily my main drive is an SSD so it doesn't take long to reboot. I'm thinking its something to do with my hard drive going to sleep but not coming back on, or just a faulty drive. It has been making a clicking noise recently as well when loading games but its hasn't slowed down or anything in loading times. I have had the hard drive/PC for about 3 months. I have tried to look online but haven't found any straight forward help yet. I was wondering if anyone knew what might be wrong?

Thanks.

Glissov

Bronze Level Poster
Have you/do you know how to access power management on your hard drive to stop them for going to sleep when idle?
Also what make is your SSD/2nd hard drive and is your 2nd hdd also a SSD or mechanical? What capacity/make/model?

Glissov

Bronze Level Poster
I have actually heard about this problem and as I suspected it relates to WD drives. Instead of choosing never in the settings, try to choose 999 (or as many 9s as you can).
Then reboot and make sure it is still all 9s, then let me know if that has fixed it or if the problem remains. Good luck!