2x2TB Drives - Only One Shows In Win/DManagement

RopeDrink

Hey folks,

Received my new rig from PC:S recently and am currently enduring the horrid process of adapting to a new operating system (Win10).

First and only issue thus far is that despite containing 2x2TB WD2003FZEX Drives, only one is showing up in Windows. The extra drive doesn't show up in Disk Management - and considering they're identical, I have no reason to suspect drivers. I also requested both drives be partitioned before arrival, so I doubt it is to do with it not containing data (or being unused). I admit total ignorance when it comes to BIOS, which I feel I should investigate first (to see if it is noticed in any way, shape or form by the computer) before opening up the machine and poking around to see if there is a physical problem.

Any and all tips and advice welcome on this matter!

thisisevilevil

Enthusiast
Hey folks,

Received my new rig from PC:S recently and am currently enduring the horrid process of adapting to a new operating system (Win10).

First and only issue thus far is that despite containing 2x2TB WD2003FZEX Drives, only one is showing up in Windows. The extra drive doesn't show up in Disk Management - and considering they're identical, I have no reason to suspect drivers. I also requested both drives be partitioned before arrival, so I doubt it is to do with it not containing data (or being unused). I admit total ignorance when it comes to BIOS, which I feel I should investigate first (to see if it is noticed in any way, shape or form by the computer) before opening up the machine and poking around to see if there is a physical problem.

Any and all tips and advice welcome on this matter!

If you can tell me the name of your motherboard, I can guide you to enter bios and check BIOS yourself if the drive is detected. And yeah, as SpyderTracks has mentioned, if you ordered a RAID-1 you would only see 2TB out of 4TB. Otherwise you can also try and Re-seat the SATA Power Cable and SATA Data cable for the hard-drive yourself, to make sure it's properly seated.

We can also take a closer look at your OS, if you provide a log file from your OS. A speccy output should be fine. Get speccy here: https://www.piriform.com/speccy -> Install speccy, open the program. Navigate to File -> Save as text file. Link that file in here :)

RopeDrink

Hi, thanks for the replies.

Motherboard = ASUS® SABERTOOTH 990FX R2.0 (DDR3, USB3.0, 6Gb/s, CrossFireX/Sli)
This time around I decided not to opt for RAID like I did my last computer, so it's just 2 x (2TB WD BLACK WD2003FZEX, SATA 6 Gb/s, 64MB CACHE (7200rpm)) slotted into above motherboard.

Here is the list from PC:S order - if this isn't enough, I'll download/install speccy.

Processor (CPU) AMD FX-9590 Eight Core CPU (4.7GHz-5.0GHz/16MB CACHE/AM3+)
Case CORSAIR CARBIDE SERIES™ AIR 540 GAMING CASE
Motherboard ASUS® SABERTOOTH 990FX R2.0 (DDR3, USB3.0, 6Gb/s, CrossFireX/Sli)
Memory (RAM) 32GB KINGSTON HYPER-X FURY DUAL-DDR3 1600MHz (4 x 8GB)
Graphics Card 8GB AMD RADEON™ R9 390X - DVI, HDMI, DP - DX® 12, Eyefinity
2nd Graphics Card NONE
3rd Graphics Card NONE

1st Hard Disk 240GB KINGSTON HYPERX SAVAGE SSD, SATA 6 Gb/s (upto 560MB/sR | 530MB/sW)
Partitions: 240GB

2nd Hard Disk 2TB WD BLACK WD2003FZEX, SATA 6 Gb/s, 64MB CACHE (7200rpm)
Partitions: 1000GB, 1000GB

3rd Hard Disk 2TB WD BLACK WD2003FZEX, SATA 6 Gb/s, 64MB CACHE (7200rpm)
Partitions: 1000GB, 1000GB

4th Hard Disk NONE
RAID NONE
Power Supply CORSAIR 1000W RM SERIES™ MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOLD, ULTRA QUIET
Processor Cooling Corsair H100i GTX Hydro Series High Performance CPU Cooler
USB Options MIN. 2 x USB 3.0 & 4 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL + MIN. 2 FRONT PORTS

RopeDrink

View attachment SPECCY.doc

Here is the SPECCY Text File (Renamed to .DOC in order to attach).

What I saw from opening BIOS:

Opened SATA Config, couldn't see drive listed.

SATA6G_1 (Windows Drive)
SATA6G_2 NOT PRESENT
SATA6G_3 NOT PRESENT
SATA6G_4 NOT PRESENT
SATA6G_5 (1x2TB Drive)
SATA6G_6 NOT PRESENT

P1-4 were set to AHCI (with IDE, RAID and AHCI being options)
P5-6 also the same (with only IDE & AHCI being options)

Boot priority shows the designated Windows Drive (not one of the 2xTB's), the working 2TB drive, two other things (Controllers I believe) and my external 1TB Samsung from old computer that I have plugged in (not in that order). Did not notice any option to add the additional WD 2TB anywhere. Underneath the above options were ECI (or something) options for all 6 Ports which were set to disabled. I tried enabling them but this didn't seem to change anything. I'll reboot now and revert computer back to optimized defaults unless someone here has some BIOS magic they think would work. I'm not looking forward to having to open the actual box and root around with the wires/connections :(

I didn't order RAID this time around - which probably didn't help.

Last edited:

RopeDrink

I am pretty certain that I saw 2x2TB drives positioned on the bottom of the machine while removing the foam, yes.

EDIT: Better yet, forgetting that the side of the case is transparent - I can see them clear as day.

Last edited:

thisisevilevil

Enthusiast
I am pretty certain that I saw 2x2TB drives positioned on the bottom of the machine while removing the foam, yes.

EDIT: Better yet, forgetting that the side of the case is transparent - I can see them clear as day.

Drive is not detected in Windows at least, so theres a big chance there's some cabling that is loose. Do the following now:
a)Power down PC
b)Disconnect Power cord
c)Press the power button once to unload any remaining power
d)Refer to page 2-37 in the systemboard manual for your system board, for connecting SATA Devices: http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/SocketAM3+/SABERTOOTH_990FX/E6674_SABERTOOTH_990FX_V2_u.zip
e)Also be aware there seems to be 2 separate SATA Controllers on your motherboard, one is for 3GB/s SATA Devices (JMicron chip), and one for 6GB/s SATA Devices (AMD). Please make sure the non-detected drive is connected to the AMD SATA Controller. The Jmicron chip doesn't seem to be supported by Win10. Googling the Jmicron JMB36x, it seems it also had issues with Windows 8.1 (Seeing as their drivers hasn't been updated since 2012). Refer to page 2-3 in the manual for which SATA Connectors that is AMD and which ones is JMicron.

EDIT: When you have done this, refer to page 3-17 in the manual, to verify the drive is detected by the motherboard, in BIOS.

Last edited:

RopeDrink

Checked the manual, which said that both the Grey & Brown connectors are 6GB (no indication of which is AMD, which is Jmicron - just 2x2 Brown and 1x2 White being the only indication of any kind of difference). Removed the connectors and tried them in various slots, both white, both brown, one brown/white. In all cases, only one 2xTB would show up - and the only noticable change in BIOS was the port number of registered devices. I can only check the connection to the motherboard/SATA, but not the connectors you plug into the Disks themselves as the comp is setup in a way where I'd need to fully dismantle it and look in from the bottom, seeing as the TB Disks are wedged literally on/parallel-with the base of the case (connectors in a way where I can't view them when opening the side - hard to explain).

I'll probably gather the energy some other time - it's not like 2TB isn't enough space - but I really didn't want to have to dismantle and perform DIY with this machine. Thanks for all previous (and any further) input.

sanj

Please check the hard drive caddy's as they are slotted into the sata /power connector as these can come loose during transit, just push them in as far as they can go and see if this solves your problem, if not the drive's may be held in by a small cable tie, just snip that and push the tabs in to release the drive's and then slot them back in again and see if it pop's up in the bios.

540 caddy.jpg

Last edited: