3060Ti at 1080p - Worth it?

aseax

In 3 years time software and games will demand more and there will be a new generation of GPUs. You will probably need to upgrade the GPU anyway. Overspecifying the GPU now for a possible monitor upgrade is likely to cost you more money, not save any.
True but only if you want to play in high the latest game in three years.
but spending 350 now and 450 in three years is expensive (plus the screen).
It depends to everyone and every budget. Even if you want a 3090 to play minecraft in 1080 it is your stupid choice and daddy money. For myself I prefer to have space to improve my screen later.

I understand it's easy to get disheartened and irritated with the wait times, but we're all in this que together that's designed in a fair way. No need to give someone trouble about the card they themselves have chosen to spend their own money on and ordered just to possibly free up another space in the que or that it "doesn't fit your perfect build". I understand I've only waited 26 days and it's not as long as some people, but patience is the best thing to have in this situation - not long left now guys our PC's will be with us soon.

thurloto

It depends to everyone and every budget. Even if you want a 3090 to play minecraft in 1080 it is your stupid choice and daddy money. For myself I prefer to have space to improve my screen later.
What does that mean? Why would you have to spend £450 in three years?

AgentCooper

At Least I Have Chicken
I really struggle with your logic, it’s a false economy and approaching with that school of thought tends to end up costing a lot more in the long run. Your monitor is 1080p 60Hz, right?

The importance of screen matching can’t be overstated. Why spend an extra £250 now on a graphics card if you’re not utilising it’s capability and might not upgrade your monitor for up to three years? Save that money, bank it, and suddenly the cost of upgrading monitor and GPU simultaneously is significantly offset.

At the end of the day, it’s your money. Do what you want with it. But you aren’t spending it wisely, the ethos of everyone here (at least 25 helpful souls, god love ‘em) who’ll try and assist speccing a system for you is to get you the best bang for the buck. I’m confident that not a single one of those people would advise going the route you are.

Peeqa

Bronze Level Poster
Day 21 🥲

-We need to stay on topic and stop arguing about the relevance of 1080p vs 1440p. It’s not what the thread is for. We will scare folks away from contributing if it looks toxic. A 60hz monitor at either quality won’t be great. I have a 1080p 240hz monitor and a 1440p 144hz and I will be using the 3060ti more on the 1080 as I can utilise all of the frames but will jump to the 1440 for quality and when I don’t care about the frames. But it doesn’t matter at all what anyone does. Live and let be. Free market and all that.

aseax

What does that mean? Why would you have to spend £450 in three years?
For a new card more powerful.
I really struggle with your logic, it’s a false economy and approaching with that school of thought tends to end up costing a lot more in the long run. Your monitor is 1080p 60Hz, right?

The importance of screen matching can’t be overstated. Why spend an extra £250 now on a graphics card if you’re not utilising it’s capability and might not upgrade your monitor for up to three years? Save that money, bank it, and suddenly the cost of upgrading monitor and GPU simultaneously is significantly offset.

At the end of the day, it’s your money. Do what you want with it. But you aren’t spending it wisely, the ethos of everyone here (at least 25 helpful souls, god love ‘em) who’ll try and assist speccing a system for you is to get you the best bang for the buck. I’m confident that not a single one of those people would advise going the route you are.
It’s only an extra 50£ for much more power compare to the 3060.
yeah it’s annoying under using the card even more when there is a shortage.
but like it was said before we all have seen people with beast playing old game, no one complain, but now because everyone is impatient we start judging how people make choice.
I found this discussion really interesting because we got two vision fighting but at the end we can’t stop someone choice.
it’s like buying a Ferrari to drive at 50km/h, you do it because you can afford it but a Renault could do the same job.
For my case I will change soon for another screen and will avoid wasting power and go for a be headset also so I know why I am doing it but let’s be smarter and not judge too much people choice to reduce the queue for washing our own wait. Let’s just be happy at the end everyone got what he/she wanted. 😊

AgentCooper

At Least I Have Chicken
For a new card more powerful.

It’s only an extra 50£ for much more power compare to the 3060.
But a 1660 Super would be enough for your monitor. That’s where your savings lie. You’re going vastly overkill... unless you’re into some intensive video editing, that’s the only scenario where your choice of GPU would make sense.

You’ve also gone from possibly changing your monitor in between one and three years to ‘changing soon’ and getting a ‘be’ (VR?) headset. The goalposts have been moved.

I wouldn’t like to think I’m judging you, what I will do is question your decisions on the details you originally gave us.

You don’t need anyone’s blessing to buy that card but this is a forum... you will incite varying degrees of opinion based on the information you supply to people.

aseax

But a 1660 Super would be enough for your monitor. That’s where your savings lie. You’re going vastly overkill... unless you’re into some intensive video editing, that’s the only scenario where your choice of GPU would make sense.
So your point of view is it’s impossible to have an overkill gpu for few months to save money to buy screen. We should buy all in right now ? Or screen before and so play with bad gpu with an insane monitor which is overkilled and useless too ... some people needs to go up step by step. Not everyone can effort that. So the only way is to continue to play on a bad computer, until you save enough to buy all at once ? Again the step by step methodology is not a good one or a bad one it is just a methodology.
And don’t lie, how many people on this thread are just going to play WoW or fortnite, gtx 1080 is enough for that.

thurloto

So your point of view is it’s impossible to have an overkill gpu for few months to save money to buy screen. We should buy all in right now ? Or screen before and so play with bad gpu with an insane monitor which is overkilled and useless too ... some people needs to go up step by step. Not everyone can effort that. So the only way is to continue to play on a bad computer, until you save enough to buy all at once ? Again the step by step methodology is not a good one or a bad one it is just a methodology.
And don’t lie, how many people on this thread are just going to play WoW or fortnite, gtx 1080 is enough for that.
What are you planning on playing at 1080p, 60Hz where you need to buy a 3060ti? You can save £50 getting the 3060 or way more getting an older GPU and buy a new monitor now. Also, are you planning on buying a new monitor in a few months or a few years, as you’ve said both?

AgentCooper

At Least I Have Chicken
I’d added to my last post as you replied so I think I’ve taken care of most your message there.

I’d also be careful about accusing people of lying on the forum, baseless defamation isn’t acceptable.

aseax

What are you planning on playing at 1080p, 60Hz where you need to buy a 3060ti? You can save £50 getting the 3060 or way more getting an older GPU and buy a new monitor now. Also, are you planning on buying a new monitor in a few months or a few years, as you’ve said both?
Yeah will buy a more suited monitor as this one was just to play on my old pc. But what I am trying to say is even if it is too much for my use right now it will turn soon perfectly balanced. But is everyone in the queue buying for video editing or always playing the last game at the best ? I don’t think so, people are free to play portal or whatever and to spend their money the way they want. Otherwise we will not be waiting right now.
I’d added to my last post as you replied so I think I’ve taken care of most your message there.

I’d also be careful about accusing people of lying on the forum, defamation isn’t acceptable.
I am deeply sorry, it’s maybe « too french » but we say that for saying « don’t lie to yourself guys » it was not aggressive in any way. Will be more careful.

i am not gonna respond more as it is a little bit out of topics I think, but keep in mind even if choices are stupid and you try your best to educate people, they are free to make mistake because they plan something that seems smart for them but stupid for you.

for my special case, I bought a gtx 1080 when it was released, a long time ago, got it for years, now would like to improve my games and aiming for a better monitor really soon otherwise the gtx 1080 would be more than enough. Also aiming for VR so my choice was more what is the best for 1440p I can afford and I want to keep for years even if it mean reducing the quality of the game in 6 years because the gpu cannot provide enough FPS in high quality mode.
And even if I fully agree about what people said, I am just trying to defend another point of view. But keep educating people, it is pretty useful and hope this conversation will help some to make good choices.

Peeqa

Bronze Level Poster
@AgentCooper @aseax The TI or even anything 20 series and above is overkill for a 60hz monitor, simply a fact.

If you were going to wait 3 years to upgrade your monitor you may as well buy the cheapest GPU you can and wait for the newer ones to come out or hope that the overpricing of gpus plateaus and goes back to the way things were. If you are going to buy one within a year and plan to keep your gpu for the next 5 years then It makes sense to go for the ti.

A big argument on the forum is that a 1080p monitor and a 3060ti is a ‘complete waste of money’. That’s also false.
If you’re playing on max settings with rtx enabled, you’re going to struggle to pull 100 frames on a lot of newer titles so even a 144hz 1080p monitor could just justify the Ti. Some AAA titles struggle to touch 144 even without ray tracing. If you’re playing on a 240hz somewhat competitively it is also definitely worth it for the price point if you’re building on a budget. All down to preference, your set up, what you intend to get out of it etc.

If someone is genuinely just inexperienced and lacks the knowledge - wanting to play RuneScape or minecraft at 60hz then it’s wise to advise them against the 60ti. If someone has done their research, are happy with their choice and are set in going for it, no amount of arguing/discussion/negativity is going to change their mind. Whether they are right or wrong, it doesn’t matter as it will only impact them. It’s creating such community rifts and it’s just sad to see to be honest.

Last edited:

AgentCooper

At Least I Have Chicken
Yeah will buy a more suited monitor as this one was just to play on my old pc. But what I am trying to say is even if it is too much for my use right now it will turn soon perfectly balanced. But is everyone in the queue buying for video editing or always playing the last game at the best ? I don’t think so, people are free to play portal or whatever and to spend their money the way they want. Otherwise we will not be waiting right now.

I am deeply sorry, it’s maybe « too french » but we say that for saying « don’t lie to yourself guys » it was not aggressive in any way. Will be more careful.

i am not gonna respond more as it is a little bit out of topics I think, but keep in mind even if choices are stupid and you try your best to educate people, they are free to make mistake because they plan something that seems smart for them but stupid for you.

for my special case, I bought a gtx 1080 when it was released, a long time ago, got it for years, now would like to improve my games and aiming for a better monitor really soon otherwise the gtx 1080 would be more than enough. Also aiming for VR so my choice was more what is the best for 1440p I can afford and I want to keep for years even if it mean reducing the quality of the game in 6 years because the gpu cannot provide enough FPS in high quality mode.
And even if I fully agree about what people said, I am just trying to defend another point of view. But keep educating people, it is pretty useful and hope this conversation will help some to make good choices.
Don’t worry about it, my girlfriend is French... and every day is a living nightmare. I am, of course, joking. She is my world 👍

As stated, buy whatever you wish! We will never judge anyone for purchasing something that makes them happy... It’s just not always a fruitful move to bring it to debate on a platform like a forum where people with serious technical knowledge will be able to tell you why it isn’t the wisest move.

You’ve made your purchase, we’ve had a discussion and you’ve chosen to leave it at that, I think that’s a really good move. I hate arguing with people so am happy to also leave it. If you need technical support with your new system at any point, please let us know 🙂👍

AgentCooper

At Least I Have Chicken
A big argument on the forum is that a 1080p monitor and a 3060ti is a ‘complete waste of money’. That’s also false.
If you’re playing on max settings with rtx enabled, you’re going to struggle to pull 100 frames on a lot of newer titles so even a 144hz 1080p monitor could just justify the Ti. Some AAA titles struggle to touch 144 even without ray tracing.
Now... this is a statement I have more of an issue with.

I’ve been playing AAA titles on an ultrawide 1440p 144Hz screen with a 3070 and I’m pulling in way over 100FPS, with a slight reduction for ray tracing. Where does the difference lay?

Firstly and most importantly, the big games aren’t actually well optimised for 1080p. At all!

Not much you can do about that, you get a free pass there. The other difference? Use your settings. That’s what they’re there for, tweak the textures, take the edge off the draw distance and you’ve got yourself an entirely different gaming experience. Attempting ultra settings on any AAA title is ridiculous, in my eyes. They’re not designed to be played that way, it’s about designers showing what graphics engines are capable of.

The only argument you’ve got for the 3060Ti at 1080p that holds any water is for playing at 240Hz. Which is competitive level. And if I was serious about that... I’d actually go for the 3070 instead.

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
I've gone through all this and it's always a topic of contention. It's always interesting regardless though and it's nice to see some open debate without too much sniping.

There are a couple of trains of thought that are often merged into one. This causes confusion when each person is offering their thoughts on it, as they aren't always paralleled with the point being made (both ways).

Firstly - Is it worth it:

This is where every single forum frequenter is passionate. As previously stated, we always put forward system suggestions based on the best system that you can get for your money. Often times people have unrealistic budgets and we have to suggest potentially saving to get a more appropriate system for their needs..... otherwise you end up buying a 90s BMW without the Radio. On the other hand, there are more generous budgets where people tend to aim overkill. This is where the discussion begins as people will use flawed logic to justify their choices.

Secondly - What is performance?:

The above bleeds into this for the most part, but it is a separate contention and part of the flawed logic, IMO, that is used the most often. It's all very well and good buying a 240hz monitor and justifying it by purchasing a GPU that will power it.... moarrrr framess...... but can you see it? Other than the wanting, and I have a lot of wanting myself and make daft purchases because I want them, for 99.9% of the general public you won't see a blind bit of difference between that and the 120/144hz offerings that are most popular. I would argue that most wouldn't even notice a blip with anything over 75FPS to be perfectly honest.... certainly not while gaming. Smooth gameplay is FAR more important than throughput as you can time things so much better. There's an argument for having a 60hz monitor and wanting a card to push 120fps, but other than that..... save the money. I can't tell what frames I'm getting without an FPS counter..... well, I can... but if it's over 100 I can't. Can you? Can you really? It's not a question to answer on the forum, it's a question to answer for yourself.

My thoughts:

When matching a GPU to a monitor, you don't need to max it out.... that's not the aim. The aim is to be consistently over the lesser specs top bar. If you consider the following, 60 & 144hz are the most common choices for monitor. If your GPU can produce 100FPS, you want a 144hz monitor, if it can produce 40fps you want the 60hz option. The reverse logic is obvious. If you have a 144hz monitor, you want a GPU that can hit over 100fps IMO. It doesn't need to max out 144hz all the time, you're just looking to have a monitor & GPU pairing where nothing is bottle necked. Once you're at the point of maxing out the monitor at 144hz+ it's time for a resolution upgrade.

I would personally be far happier with 100fps/hz on a 144hz 1440p monitor than I ever would be with 240hz on 1080p, there isn't even a comparison to draw here.

I fully understand where these thoughts and opinions come from. It's clickbait though. It's entertainment and it's like thinking an Alonso hat will turn you into a driving god. Having all the gear doesn't make you an immediate gaming master, it doesn't really make any odds what sort of kit you use. It's been proven, a good gamer can smash average gamers while using an 18" CRT system pushing 40fps (it was a funny vid years ago).

TLDR;

We all want the best for you. We are not saying you cannot buy what you wish, the point of contention will come from the logic you use when justifying your spend..... it will be flawed and likely skewed from impressions and opinions for youtube videos and the likes. Having a system that plays well for your needs is our aim and we will do our best to aid you with that. If the budget allows for a better resolution than you had planned we will always recommend this route. We will never suggest wasting money on something you don't need as there is never a logic that applies. Save the money, get the next big thing in a year or 2.... it's that simple.

If the logic you are using is I want it so I'm getting it, then that's fair enough. I would only suggest that it's the only argument presented as if you're not aiming for the top 10 in the world of gaming, you really don't need to be sitting with a 300+ FPS system on an overclocked 240hz monitor.

Last edited:

Quarter

Silver Level Poster
Feel like we go round and round in circles on this thread - if you’re playing in 1080p for the foreseeable future, stick to the 3060. Save yourself time and money and let someone else get the ti
And it robs a good card from someone who will actually use that power now.
These are both terrible takes if I want a 3060ti which I got btw(Playing at 1440p) then ima buy it it's my money to waste( about robbing from someone) LMAO,
. plus logically why would i not buy a card that i can get now with the capability rather then spend more money in 3 years .

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
These are both terrible takes if I want a 3060ti which I got btw(Playing at 1440p) then ima buy it it's my money to waste( about robbing from someone) LMAO,
. plus logically why would i not buy a card that i can get now with the capability rather then spend more money in 3 years .
But you said you were on 1080p 60hz or was that someone else?

The 3060ti is a good pairing for 1440p 144hz, that’s not where the argument lies.

It’s for 1080p 144hz or under that it’s a waste.

And in 3 years, you don’t pay more for equivalent power, you pay substantially less.

For instance the 2080ti (£1200) is roughly on par with the 3070 (£550) and the 3070 has better features.

This is almost always the case. Each generation, power is increased, that’s why last generation there were 4 cards aimed at 1080p, now there’s one, perhaps soon to be 2, and next generation I think they’ll phase out 1080p support entirely as it’s a dead resolution. They’ll probably introduce 8k 60hz at the price point of the 3080ti.

Point being, if you are to spec a 3060ti now on 1080p 144Hz or less with the view of upgrading your monitor some time in the future longer than 1 year or so, you'll actually pay more for less performance as the upcoming GPU's will have better feature sets and be more powerful at Ray Tracing.

It's always a false economy overspeccing a GPU. It will literally give zero benefit to your experience as the monitor is capping performance, so if you had a decently paired 2060 or a monstrous 3080, the experience would be EXACTLY the same.

And in the current times, you are takingg that GPU from someone who would actually use it to it's potential.

Last edited: