4 Monitors! But...

Branflakesnmilk

Hello People :)

If I have 4 monitors, can I use 3 of them for gaming and use the 4th one for casual use (switching quickly to something, so all I have to do is pause the game and move my mouse over the other screen)

If so, how do I do this? And with What Graphics Cards?

Thank you!

mantadog

Superhero Level Poster
Yes you can indeed. You would need a SLI setup from Nvidia or an eyefinity 4 capable card from AMD.

If your looking for a single card that can do the job, i would advise something like a HD7950 or a 7970 as gaming over 3 monitors will be quite stressful for the GPU. If you would be happy with slightly lower settings then something like a 7870 would also work. It all depends how much money u want to spend really.

mantadog

Superhero Level Poster
Well if you want to do down the max performance route, consider a GTX 680 that is the only Nvidia card that supports 4 display at the moment. It is faster than a 7970 but cheaper, for ure performance i would go for that, for absolute max performance get 2, but that is seriously overkill at the moment, just get single GTX 680 for now, with an 850w PSU, that way you can slot in a 2nd later when you need more performance.

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
personally, if i were going to do for a triple screen setup id always say AMD

But, Frenchy runs 3x1080p monitors on 2 580s and he says everything runs fine

keynes

Multiverse Poster
I did some research when deciding which GPU to use for 3D-surround. I am able to run BF3 on High settings and 3D mode on without any problems (have not tried ultra) with GTX 680 SLI. Tri-SLI may improve your fps in 3D-surround but the gain will be minimal and not worth the additional cost of a 3rd card. I also had many issues when trying to enable 3D-surround with GTX 580 SLI but none so far with the GTX 680.

Branflakesnmilk

Hmm....

Money isn't so much of an issue. I just want smooth gameplay.

My choices are:

Tri-Crossfire 3 6970's

Crossfire 2 7970's

Tri-SLI 3 580's

SLI 2 680's

Opinions...... GO!

mantadog

Superhero Level Poster
If you gave me the money and i had to pick, i would probably go for the 2 680's. The 680's are just a bit more powerful than the 7970's (i'm not sure how they scale when your use them in sli them mind you).

The power consumption and heat generated by 3 GPU's, especially when the 3rd GPU is hardly contributing that much anyway (approx 25%), probably rules that out in my book anyway.

For me it's 2 680's for sure, but if you prefer AMD then get a pair of 7970's both would give you great FPS

Branflakesnmilk

Well this new set up is going to be my first multi-screen 3D one, so I'm new! :helpsmilie:

So I am relying off Advice and looking up information about it.

keynes

Multiverse Poster
When contacting NVIDIA I was told (if I remember correctly) that 3D surround would only work for monitors not 3D TV.
For 3D Surround setup :

1. You need two exactly same model cards (with same memory size).
2. Cards should be connected by SLI bridge
3. Motherboard should support NVIDIA SLI
4. All the monitors should have same resolution and refresh rate
5. If you want to use 3D Surround, then monitors should be of same model number
6. Monitors should be connected by Dual-Link DVI cable

http://www.nvidia.com/object/3d-vision-surround-technology.html

You should be able to use the 3D TV monitor to play in 3D mode but only on 1 monitor.

keynes

Multiverse Poster
I have a 3D surround set up with the Asus VG278H 27 3D Monitor, NVIDIA 3D Vision 2 Glasses and 3D LightBoost. It has the emitter built in and the new NVIDIA 3D Vision 2. I tried 3D TV before and the quality when gaming in 3D is much better with the Asus monitor, every monitor comes with a set of 3D glasses and DVI-D cables. I had to buy a longer DVI-D cable since the ones provided are around 1.5 m long and it wasn't reaching the monitor at the end.
uno.JPG

Last edited:

Branflakesnmilk

I love your set up <3 ! I want mine to be like that but with an extra monitor on the end :)

That possible yeah?

What are the screens like by the way?

keynes

Multiverse Poster
It is possible if you have a massive desk. You could have the 4th monitor on top of the one in the middle. The screens are 27 inches and the brightness is very high (which is something I prefer) and when gaming in 3D the quality of the images are very good. I have tested Duke Nuken Forever, Batman Arkhan City , Battlefield 2 and Battlefield 3 in 3D surround and they are great. It has the new NVIDIA 3D technology (lightboost)
http://blogs.nvidia.com/2011/10/preview-nvidia-3dvision-2-%E2%80%93-twice-as-bright-more-comfortable-glasses/