4 month old Optimus V 17"

Stese

Hi All,

I've started noticing light and dark patches on the LCD panel... With considerable bleeding around the edges of white light. This isn't all that noticable when the image is mostly light, but on darker images, it's really quite distracting...

Is this an issue I can sensibly raise as a fault with PCS, as it is only 4 months old?

My wife's machine (same age, make and model) has also begun to show this, but not nearly as bad.

Regards,

Steve

mantadog

Superhero Level Poster
You can certainly raise it directly with PCS, though you will need at least the silver warranty otherwise you will need to covers the postage costs yourself.

PCS will then examine the machine and determine if the fault is caused by a manufacturing fault.

My only slight concern would be that both machines are experiencing a very similar fault, yes that could be down to a manufacturing defect but that would seem quite unlikely. Are the machines moved around constantly? I only ask because problems like yours could be caused by pressure on the machine. if for example you were to pack them in the boot of a car with some other luggage on top, or anywhere else that could put pressure on the screen side you could end up with a problem such as yours. In which case PCS could carry out the repair but it would be chargeable.

If its getting worse over time all on its own it might be a fault, tough to say without a more detailed history

Stese

As the machine was bought via ebuyer, i'm not sure on the warranty. I'd have to investigate that.

As for the actual issue, my laptop is moved around a bit, but it is always moved in a padded laptop rucksack. I've had the bag many many years, mainly for use with my old Dell laptop. This laptop still has an almost perfect screen, after almost 12 years of being moved around in the bag... so i'd like to think i'm careful enough not to have damaged the screen myself. My wifes machine rarely moves from her desk.

I'll contact PCS and see what they say. They were helpful in resolving an issue I had with the DVD drive that wouldn't stay closed, by sending a new Drive out for me to install, which i've done.

Thanks for the input!

Regards,

Steve

You can certainly raise it directly with PCS, though you will need at least the silver warranty otherwise you will need to covers the postage costs yourself.

PCS will then examine the machine and determine if the fault is caused by a manufacturing fault.

My only slight concern would be that both machines are experiencing a very similar fault, yes that could be down to a manufacturing defect but that would seem quite unlikely. Are the machines moved around constantly? I only ask because problems like yours could be caused by pressure on the machine. if for example you were to pack them in the boot of a car with some other luggage on top, or anywhere else that could put pressure on the screen side you could end up with a problem such as yours. In which case PCS could carry out the repair but it would be chargeable.

If its getting worse over time all on its own it might be a fault, tough to say without a more detailed history

LFFPicard

Godlike
If you ring or email PCS with the order numbers when you raise this they can advise you what warranty you have before you decide what to do about it.

mantadog

Superhero Level Poster
as I said, just a hunch I had and may or may not be related, just throwing it out.

Your machine will come with a 1 years parts warranty as standard with labour covered for 3 years. The postage is only covered for the first month, so unless you upgraded you will need to pay the postage back to PCS who will be able to fix it if they deem it damaged.

So well worth giving them a ring I'd say.