4k or ultrawide?

Jingo

Bronze Level Poster
Hi guys,

While in waiting on my 3080 build I might as well have a look at some monitors. I was originally planning an ultrawide, so the build specs were advised on with that in mind. But now I'm wondering whether 4k might be the better option. I'm a big gamer, so that's what I'd mainly use it for.

I would however need the equivalent space as an ultrawide for work, so would have to factor in a second monitor if I went 4k - not necessarily a 4k one of course.

Any advice on which way to go and some suggestions of decent monitors are gratefully received. Budget is about £1000, could maybe stretch to a bit more for a cheap second monitor.

These are my specs:

CaseCORSAIR OBSIDIAN SERIES™ 500D SE CASE
Processor (CPU)AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 12 Core CPU (3.7GHz-4.8GHz/70MB CACHE/AM4)
MotherboardASUS® ROG STRIX X570-F GAMING (USB 3.2 Gen 2, PCIe 4.0) - ARGB Ready!
Memory (RAM)32GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 3200MHz (2 x 16GB)
Graphics Card10GB NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 3080 - HDMI, DP (Xmas delivery not guaranteed)
1st Storage Drive2TB SEAGATE BARRACUDA SATA-III 3.5" HDD, 6GB/s, 7200RPM, 256MB CACHE
1st M.2 SSD Drive1TB SAMSUNG 980 PRO M.2, PCIe NVMe (up to 7000MB/R, 5000MB/W)
2nd M.2 SSD Drive1TB SAMSUNG 980 PRO M.2, PCIe NVMe (up to 7000MB/R, 5000MB/W)

Jingo

Bronze Level Poster
What kinds of games do you play? Is it competitive at all?
Not really. I tend to play competitive games on console, so probably won't on PC. I do play MMOs on PC, but more as a single player game than competitively. Otherwise a lot of strategy, open world RPGs mainly.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Not really. I tend to play competitive games on console, so probably won't on PC. I do play MMOs on PC, but more as a single player game than competitively. Otherwise a lot of strategy, open world RPGs mainly.
I would strongly suggest a superwide then to make the most of a 3080. 4k is standard aspect ratio, superwide gives you far greater field of view and is a much more immersive experience.

The Samsung G9 is the one to go for, it’s the same as 2 1440p 240hz screens.

This place still has it on Black Friday reduction:

Jingo

Bronze Level Poster
I would strongly suggest a superwide then to make the most of a 3080. 4k is standard aspect ratio, superwide gives you far greater field of view and is a much more immersive experience.

The Samsung G9 is the one to go for, it’s the same as 2 1440p 240hz screens.

This place still has it on Black Friday reduction:
Many thanks. Looks like ultrawide is the way to go and that monitor is a beast!

Is smartappliances a reputable firm? I was thinking of buying the g9 as well. My desk is only 24in deep though.. Need to get tape measure out over the weekend.

scarpa1

Enthusiast
Is smartappliances a reputable firm? I was thinking of buying the g9 as well. My desk is only 24in deep though.. Need to get tape measure out over the weekend.
Hard to be sure but it sounds like they sell liquidated stock, so perhaps the G9's they are selling were the first batch ones that had problems.

scarpa1

Enthusiast
What console do you play on? The ps5 doesn't support 1440 currently I don't think, so if you wanted the monitor for that as well its something to think about.

No doubt it will soon I guess though.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Hard to be sure but it sounds like they sell liquidated stock, so perhaps the G9's they are selling were the first batch ones that had problems.
They’re not allowed to sell the pre recall one afaik, and even if they do, Samsung would straight swap it.

They’ve got good reviews on trustpilot:

scarpa1

Enthusiast
They’re not allowed to sell the pre recall one afaik, and even if they do, Samsung would straight swap it.

They’ve got good reviews on trustpilot:

I don't know, hard to actually work out what they sell. Most seems from businesses that have gone bust or older models that manufacturers want getting rid of.
That was just my worry with the G9 and it maybe one of the first ones out.
If it comes with a warranty then should all be fine

Jingo

Bronze Level Poster
What console do you play on? The ps5 doesn't support 1440 currently I don't think, so if you wanted the monitor for that as well its something to think about.

No doubt it will soon I guess though.
I have a 4k TV I use for the PS5/XB One X. The PC will be in another room