4th gen vs 6th gen

So was looking to buy a new Desktop, but now with the new choice of a 6th gen motherboard, I'm wondering about the benefits of it, and if its worthwile, future proof(more than the 4790 for example) etc. - basically i7-4790 v i7 6700

mantadog

Superhero Level Poster
In a nutshell I would advise the 6th gen, it is very slightly faster has a few more PCIe lanes and supports DDR4 RAM. If you intend to add to the system for many years to come then it make sense to go for the most modern platform you can. On the other hand if your workload is likely to remain the same until your next upgrade cycle then you will have no issues with an 4790 as it is only marginally slower and certainly wont be noticeably slower.

So without going on too long and going into all the minutia, 6th gen if you can but 4th gen is pretty much the same performance wise.

Stephen M

Author Level
A difficult time to choose as the Skylake is still very new, although I tend to agree with Mantadog. I had been considering a desktop for audio and video work, plus various work related multi-tasking but there are still times when I want/need to carry a PC with me, so it was a bit of a no brainer when the Octane with the 4790 was launched, especially as nothing was known about the Skylake then, although I have only just ordered and had a look at the Skylake. In a couple of years it is unlikely I will be travelling much at all, so have pencilled in 2017 for a decent desktop, by then the Cannonlake, with a 10-nanometer die shrink will be out.