5800X idle temps way high, doesn't seem to underclock?

aroobra

Case
CORSAIR iCUE 5000X RGB MID TOWER GAMING CASE
Processor (CPU)
AMD Ryzen 7 5800X Eight Core CPU (3.8GHz-4.7GHz/36MB CACHE/AM4)
Motherboard
ASUS® TUF X570-PLUS GAMING WIFI (USB 3.2 Gen 2, PCIe 4.0, CrossFireX) - RGB Ready!
Memory (RAM)
32GB Corsair VENGEANCE RGB PRO DDR4 3600MHz (2 x 16GB)
Graphics Card
10GB NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 3080 - HDMI, DP, LHR
1st Storage Drive
4TB SEAGATE IRONWOLF PRO 3.5", 7200 RPM 128MB CACHE
1st M.2 SSD Drive
500GB SAMSUNG 980 PRO M.2, PCIe NVMe (up to 6900MB/R, 5000MB/W)
2nd M.2 SSD Drive
1TB SAMSUNG 980 PRO M.2, PCIe NVMe (up to 7000MB/R, 5000MB/W)
Power Supply
CORSAIR 1000W RMx SERIES™ MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOLD, ULTRA QUIET
Processor Cooling
Corsair H115i ELITE CAPELLIX RGB Hydro Series High Performance CPU Cooler
Thermal Paste
STANDARD THERMAL PASTE FOR SUFFICIENT COOLING

Received this build yesterday and I've noticed that with the H115i fans set to Quiet in iCUE my *idle* temps are above 60 degrees which seems crazy even for a Ryzen processor. On the balanced setting (which is very loud) idle temps are around 50c. In HWiNFO my CPU always seems to be boosting the clocks randomly even when not doing anything which probably doesn't help this. The only way I found to make it underclock at all was with the "power saver" plan in Windows but this doesn't seem to work correctly for boosting back up when gaming (even with min and max processor state set to 5% and 100% respectively inside the plan options.)

Last edited:

Martinr36

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
What do you have running at idle and what do the temperatures go up to when the cpu is running at 100% (try a stress test such as Aida64)

sck451

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Are you sure it's actually idle? If you're doing something like updates or game downloads in the background, the CPU could be working surprisingly hard.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
It won't be idle if it's a new PC, the indexing will be running full tilt for the first few days, plus Windows updates alone will put quite a load on the CPU.