580m framerate issues

Lddowser

Hey all,

After some expert advice, recently bought a new laptop from here, can I say, love it and great service..

I mainly bought the laptop to play swtor, sad I know! But seem to have some issues while running it.

Laptop is i7, 16 gig ram and 580m card... If you need more let me know.

Game settings are on high and I've downloaded the most up to date drivers for the card.
The main issue is that from time to time I incur frame rate drops from time to time, this could be every few minutes while moving around.. When idle its sits around a constant 60fps but while playing can drop to as low as 5.. I've tried playing around with the game settings but this doesn't seem to resolve the issue.. Could it be latency?

When it comes to graphic cards I'm not a techie and would appreciate any help... Is there particular settings I should use in the nivida control panel?

Is there program's I should use to monitory card??

Many thanks in advance!

dangro474

Bright Spark
Hi Lddowser,

If swotor is anything like wow in terms of LOD loading times and interruptions, the framerate drop may be due to the game loading in new scenery / models.

Do you experience this issue in any other games / while running on an older driver release? Please check your driver release notes just incase your problem is a known driver related issue.

If you do not experience a similar issue with other games, judging by the number of omplaints which surface from a quick google search for "swotor low fps", I would blame the game itself.

El Wayneo

Silver Level Poster
If physx is on auto in the nvidia control panel then set it to cpu, loads of people having fps issues since the new nvidia drivers.

truegrace

Enthusiast
It can just be random, I know a few people who get low FPS spikes who run gtx570s, same drivers, better CPU than me, but I have never experienced it. Nvidea seems to have more issues than amd with swtor

ace1

Silver Level Poster
try some other games and see if your fps drops on them alot as it been a reported bug for some users on swtor to get low fps with a top end pc and don't think it been fully fixed yet.

Lddowser

Hey All,

Thanks for the replies.... I've been working away so this weekend im going to try it with skyrim to see if it still happens.. I am putting it down to the game rather than the machine..I'll see if it gets any better over time.

El Wayneo - Or anyone for that matter, Physx - what does this actually do? what are the benefits of putting it on CPU, mine was set to the graphics card????

Thanks again!

El Wayneo

Silver Level Poster
Physx just makes games that support it look a bit prettier, best examples are Mafia 2, where the bullet damage looks a lot better and so do some of the textures, it looks good on the batman games as well, adds in a lot of extra stuff, like bits of paper flying around, water tends to look better.

The downside is that it hammers your GPU, so framerates will drop massively, even on a powerful GTX580m, on desktop PC you needed a GTX460 on its own to run the physx on high on Mafia 2 so imagine that on a laptop, thats basically your whole graphics card getting sucked into physx work.

If you have a good CPU then set it to use that as it wont take such a hit on the frames.

Lddowser

Ah thanks that makes sense.. I'm using Intel® Core™i7 Quad Core Mobile Processor i7-2860QM (2.50GHz) 8MB, so hopefully that should be ok, so ill switch it to cpu to see if that makes any difference.