6ms VS 5ms

Deanabean

Hi all!
I'm looking to buy a IPS monitor and I have come across some 6ms and 5ms monitors. Generally speaking I hear that TN is preferred for gaming but then I hear that IPS is lovely to look at so I've decided to go for that. Anyway, I was wondering if 6ms would be bad for gaming and if I would feel a real struggle especially when it comes to ghosting. The sort of games I play are: Titanfall, World Of Warcraft, Minecraft, C.O.D and some other games from time to time.

Thanks all!

Dennis.

steaky360

Your posts were already moderated.

If you can tell the difference between 6ms and 5ms I'd be surprised. I'd say you'd be fine regardless. If the 6ms is the better monitor get that one :).

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I've currently got a 6ms screen, one of the dell ultra ones which is an IPS panel, previously I had a samsung 4ms LCD. Unless you're a nutty gamer that heavily relies on benchmarks, you won't be able to visually see any difference. The naked eye can only detect 60fps which works out at around 17ms (not sure if my maths is right there?). Basically it's a marketting gimick like PPI on phones, it has no relevance in the real world. What's more important is the panel type and maker.

Kuniva

Silver Level Poster
Wagging your finger rely fast gives you a motion blur. Filming your finger doing the same chops up the fluid motion of the blur into blurred frames, and doesn't matter if that playback is 120FPS your eye will still notice it not being as fluid as IRL. Unless we can get vsync with our eyeballs or 1000's FPS we'll always notice a difference.

steaky360

The 4/5/6ms refers to the screens response time rather than its refresh rate. The time indicates how long it takes one pixel on the screen to change to another colour and back again. The 'Hz' is the refresh rate, this is how often the display draws the image on the screen per second.

So a 120MHz monitor draws the image on the screen 120 times a second, if you're only pushing 60FPS those frames get doubled. This is why you may have noticed folk saying if you have a 60Hz monitor you cannot display more than 60FPS.

At least, that's how I understand it...