7970 vs 5970

Al.Neri

Super Star
been offered a 7970 in replacement of a dead 5970. I don't know anything about this card, what is thegeneral consensus? it's either that or £275 credit towards another card. I'm a bit limited on funds right now so if the 7970 is good, I will choose that.

how does it handle gaming, especially compared to the 5970?

SmokeDarKnight

Author Level
Try this webby for a comparison

Radeon HD 5970 vs Radeon 7970

I'd say the 7970 was a far superior GPU and i'd be happy with it.

Im not sure if the motherboard compatibility is an issue however as the 5970 is 40nm design and the 7970 is a 28nm design. Someone else will hopefully confirm.

Is PCS offering this to you? Could you please post further specification for people to check perhaps.

Hope this helps

Last edited:

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
The 7970 is a very good card and will handle any game out at the moment,so I would settle for that.

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
I don't think PCS deal in refurbished components,could be wrong though,best check with them.

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
Info from the same link.
Texel Rate: Texel rate is the maximum texture map elements (texels) that can be applied per second. This number is calculated by multiplying the total texture units by the core speed of the chip. The better the texel rate, the better the graphics card will be at handling texture filtering (anisotropic filtering - AF). It is measured in millions of texels per second.

Pixel Rate: Pixel rate is the most pixels that the graphics card could possibly write to its local memory in one second - measured in millions of pixels per second. The number is worked out by multiplying the amount of Raster Operations Pipelines by the clock speed of the card. ROPs (Raster Operations Pipelines - aka Render Output Units) are responsible for outputting the pixels (image) to the screen. The actual pixel rate is also dependant on quite a few other factors, especially the memory bandwidth of the card - the lower the bandwidth is, the lower the potential to get to the maximum fill rate.

Last edited:

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
so what noticeable difference will that produce between what I had and what PCS are offering?
The texel and pixel rates will be of very little if any noticeable difference in my opinion.
Performance wise the 7970 is a better card than the 5970.You are getting a very good offer from PCS,I would grab it with both hands.:)

Last edited:

NMEBowen

Master Poster
Due to the memory bandwith and clock speeds that need to be taken into account when looking at texel and pixel rates the 7970 will be a far far better card and will run cooler and use less power, also might be quieter(not sure). personally id bite pcs`s hand off for a rma like this unless you wanted to go with a nvidia card.

Al.Neri

Super Star
I went with the 7970, and also asked them to change out the liquid cooler for the spire gemini. once the ball got rolling, it was done surprisingly swiftly. it's been dispatched and should be on its way back home in time for tomorrow or the day after if not.

after having to use my PS3 for the last 3 weeks, it can't get here quick enough.