7970m high temperature.

Alloid

Bronze Level Poster
Hello!

I have found that my 7970m in full load sometimas reach 85-90°C
And maximal temp. was 95°C.

Is this fine for this GPU?
Or I should start to think abuot an cooling stand.

If I use CF - I got this temp only for one of the GPU's, second always around 85°C.

Any suggestions how I can beat this temp down?
Apart of cooling the stand.

tom_gr7

Life Serving
I'd make sure you use vsync in games, so the cards are limited to 60frames per second, therefore the cards wont be working to 100% potential.

SmokeDarKnight

Author Level
I agree with what Tom Said, i have the 6990m and it usually works away for hours at about 93-95. I just use something to wedge the laptop about 45 degrees off the worktop and it works away fine. I use all my games with Vsync on 60fps to me looks amazing so in not bothered about hitting higher

tom_gr7

Life Serving
How to turn on vsync for ati cards?

I'm not clued up with AMD CCC, but I think in many cases you can enable this in the game settings, bf3 for example, is under options in game. But most are on the main screen, options then graphics settings.

You could also dl fraps, (its free) allows you record footage but also gives you a FPS count top right on the screen, therefore giving you a indication of your current FPS. Vsync should limit to 60fps, so if you have 120fps on a game, then ya cards are going crazy! that may be why it seems like they are having a BBQ. Its useful and a good tool to have :)

SmokeDarKnight

Author Level
Yeah Toms right again =)

Use the ingame option for Vsync, some games liek Boarderlands 2 will let you either Limit the FPS to 60 or Vsync, i use vsync because i still get screen tairing when limiting it to 60 but you have a better card then i do so you may not have the same problem.

I also use MSI Afterburner to monitor my temps and FPS etc, if you have it running on the computer you can link it through wifi to your phone (Afterburner App) and use it as a second screen to show stats which is handy.

Krayzi3Bon3

Hello Alloid, I have a Vortex III Elite as well with Crossfire. Just experienced a shock, when, after playing Medal of Honor Warfighter for only 5 minutes it shut down completely :| I'm guessing it's due to overheating too... I admit the crossfire was on and the in-game graphic settings were all on Ultra but I do have an Antec Notebook Cooler 200 (BigBoy Fan), which was turned to High RPM and still....5 minutes?!?!?!? Not happy.... I'm going to install a few programs to monitor the temps now..

tom_gr7

Life Serving
Hello Alloid, I have a Vortex III Elite as well with Crossfire. Just experienced a shock, when, after playing Medal of Honor Warfighter for only 5 minutes it shut down completely :| I'm guessing it's due to overheating too... I admit the crossfire was on and the in-game graphic settings were all on Ultra but I do have an Antec Notebook Cooler 200 (BigBoy Fan), which was turned to High RPM and still....5 minutes?!?!?!? Not happy.... I'm going to install a few programs to monitor the temps now..

try GPU Z as you "log to file" so if it does crash just read over the file :)