9 Month old PC crashing frequently

Eggles

I've had my desktop PC from PCS for about nine months now and have had relatively few problems with it until now. Last night my PC randomly shutdown completely and since then every 15-30 minutes it does the same and switches off. It even happens when the PC is idle with no programmes running. I have managed to do a quick virus and malware scan in the periods which it remains on both of which have detected nothing.

Also I haven't downloaded any new programmes in the few days prior to the crashes.

Any information or ideas in preventing this would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
Have you checked the temps of the GPU and CPU?
Also might be worth checking for dust inside the case,might need a clean out.

Last edited:

Eggles

Yeah, they seem a normal temperature and I cleaned the inside out a couple of weeks ago. I will give it another clean out just in case just to rule that out.

mishra

Rising Star
As it usually is with this things a bit of research is required:
0. do backup of all data
1. Run Malwarebytes / antivirus.... which you already done.
2. Anything unusual in Event Log? Run Event Viewer and check Application and most importantly System log
3. HDD - check if your hard drive is not faulty ... download free version of HDtune and run a full scan
4. RAM - check if it's RAM, you can either run Prime95 (in memory testing) or run live CD of Ubuntu linux and during startup you have an option to check RAM

Now then if all of the above is not telling you anything useful.. no logs, errors, RAM and HDD is fine then I bet it will be your PSU. Most components (RAM, HDD, drivers, etc...) if they fail/crash PC they leave traces behind in Event Viewer. If there is absolutely nothing and PC is just crashing... it's most likely PSU. In older motherboards you could always check for blown capacitors as they were the give away signs of faulty mobo, but nowadays mobos use solid capacitors and these last forever, so I doubt it's that.