980Ti fans spin on startup...but then stop when actually needed

RaffScallion

Help me PCS forums...you're my only hope.

So I have a Gigabyte Windforce 980Ti in my rig. For some time, one of the fans seemed to be struggling and yesterday it finally gave out. I removed it earlier today (not disconnecting the power, and leaving the other 2 fans behind) to tide me over until my replacement fan arrives. When I had it all open, I even tested, and saw that the 2 fans did spin up on startup...all good.

However, when I actually put it back in its place and sat down to use it, found out that the remaining 2 fans only spin on startup, then stop after ~20 seconds. I am getting display fine. Interestingly, the fans spun constantly when the GPU was on PCI-E power only (when I'd forgotten to plug in the PSU cables oops).

HWMonitor shows fan RPM at 810811 and editing MSI Afterburner curves doesn't do anything :/ Idling at ~70C right now so fans should definitely be kicking in.

Any help appreciated.

Citrus_9

Expert
Help me PCS forums...you're my only hope.

So I have a Gigabyte Windforce 980Ti in my rig. For some time, one of the fans seemed to be struggling and yesterday it finally gave out. I removed it earlier today (not disconnecting the power, and leaving the other 2 fans behind) to tide me over until my replacement fan arrives. When I had it all open, I even tested, and saw that the 2 fans did spin up on startup...all good.

However, when I actually put it back in its place and sat down to use it, found out that the remaining 2 fans only spin on startup, then stop after ~20 seconds. I am getting display fine. Interestingly, the fans spun constantly when the GPU was on PCI-E power only (when I'd forgotten to plug in the PSU cables oops).

HWMonitor shows fan RPM at 810811 and editing MSI Afterburner curves doesn't do anything :/ Idling at ~70C right now so fans should definitely be kicking in.

Any help appreciated.
If this is a PCS machine, we need full specs from the order page as explained in the link.

If it's not a PCS Pc the we unfortunately can't advice on competitors' or self-builds. Worth to try other, but opened, forums.

RaffScallion

It's a PCS machine with this GPU added. Didn't include the full specs as the issue was only with this part so thought it may be irrelevant. Please find below!

CaseCOOLERMASTER MASTERBOX 5t GAMING CASE
Processor (CPU)Intel® Core™i7 Six Core Processor i7-8700 (3.2GHz) 12MB Cache
MotherboardASUS® TUF Z370-PLUS GAMING: ATX, LGA1151, USB 3.1, SATA 6GBs - RGB Ready
Memory (RAM)16GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 3000MHz (2 x 8GB)
Graphics CardINTEGRATED GRAPHICS ACCELERATOR (GPU)
1st Storage Drive5TB SATA-III 3.5" HDD, 6GB/s, 7200RPM, 128MB CACHE
down_right_arrow.gif
Partitions: 2500GB, 2500GB
DVD/BLU-RAY DriveNOT REQUIRED
Power SupplyCORSAIR 550W VS SERIES™ VS-550 POWER SUPPLY
Power Cable1 x 1 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
Processor CoolingCoolerMaster MasterLiquid Lite 120 High Performance Liquid Cooler
Thermal PasteEK-TIM ECTOTHERM THERMAL COMPOUND
LED Lighting2x 50cm RGB LED Strip
Extra Case Fans2x 120mm Black Case Fan (configured to extract from rear/roof)
Sound CardONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Wireless Network Card10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT (Wi-Fi NOT INCLUDED)
USB/Thunderbolt OptionsMIN. 2 x USB 3.0 & 2 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL + MIN. 2 FRONT PORTS
Operating SystemGenuine Windows 10 Home 64 Bit - inc. Single Licence [KK3-00003]
down_right_arrow.gif
Change to: NO OPERATING SYSTEM REQUIRED
Operating System LanguageUnited Kingdom - English Language
Windows Recovery MediaWindows 10 Multi-Language Recovery Image - Unlimited Downloads from Online Account
down_right_arrow.gif
Change to: NO RECOVERY MEDIA REQUIRED
Office SoftwareFREE 30 Day Trial of Microsoft® Office® 365
down_right_arrow.gif
Change to: NO OFFICE SOFTWARE
Anti-VirusNO ANTI-VIRUS SOFTWARE
BrowserGoogle Chrome™
Warranty3 Year Silver Warranty (1 Year Collect & Return, 1 Year Parts, 3 Year Labour)