A gaming laptop for World of Warcraft

Lionsfury

Hello guys, I am looking to buy the Optimus Series: 15.6" laptop with the following configuration:

Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™ i7 Six Core Processor 9750H

Memory (RAM)
8GB Corsair 2400MHz SODIMM DDR4 (2 x 4GB)

Graphics Card
NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1660 Ti

1st M.2 SSD Drive
500GB SAMSUNG 970 EVO PLUS M.2, PCIe NVMe

AC Adaptor
1 x 150W AC Adaptor

My budget is roughly £1,000 and with this current build, it amounts to £1,068. However, if I only change the graphics selection to a GTX 1650, it goes down to £926; £142 less!! Does anyone here know if it be worthwhile choosing the 1660 Ti over the 1650, even though I will be playing at 1080p HD (preferably just high settings, not ultra). Furthermore, the screen has a refresh rate of 60Hz, so I do wonder if the 1660 Ti might be overkill for a monitor like that?

Another question would be: if I was to go with a GTX 1650 instead, would the i5 9300H CPU be a better choice from a budget perspective? I do not plan on straming or doing lots of multitasking etc on this device, just playing World of Warcraft... So 4 cores or 6 cores is not a huge deal for me. (the reason why I selected the i7 with the GTX 1660 Ti instead of the i5 is because I felt maybe the 1660 Ti might get bottlenecked by the i5 due to it's slower single speed?)

Sorry guys if I don't make a lot of sense or asking too many questions, it's just I'm not very smart with all of this... Thank you if you could elp me please :)

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
I don't see the i5 9300H on sale in either Optimus?

I would push for the 1660 ti as it is a great deal more powerful than the 1650 and WoW is a demanding game on the GPU, and only gets moreso with progressive expansions. Considering that, unlike a desktop, you can't upgrade the GPU, generally getting a laptop with the most powerful GPU you can reasonably afford is the best way to save money long-term though delaying the point at which you'll want to buy a new system.

If you needed to save cash, get a cheaper SSD. I'm not a massive fan of the Intel 660p, but it is a lot cheaper and framerate should be unaffected.

Also note the price difference between 2x4gb 2400MHz and 2x8gb 2666MHz is only £40 or so, which could be covered by the savings from the SSD. WoW does like RAM frequency.

Lionsfury

I don't see the i5 9300H on sale in either Optimus?

I would push for the 1660 ti as it is a great deal more powerful than the 1650 and WoW is a demanding game on the GPU, and only gets moreso with progressive expansions. Considering that, unlike a desktop, you can't upgrade the GPU, generally getting a laptop with the most powerful GPU you can reasonably afford is the best way to save money long-term though delaying the point at which you'll want to buy a new system.

If you needed to save cash, get a cheaper SSD. I'm not a massive fan of the Intel 660p, but it is a lot cheaper and framerate should be unaffected.

Also note the price difference between 2x4gb 2400MHz and 2x8gb 2666MHz is only £40 or so, which could be covered by the savings from the SSD. WoW does like RAM frequency.

Thank you and extemely sorry for my late reply. You make a good point regarding the longetivity of the system along with WoW so I will take into consideration. Thank you for this valuable point! I will also have a look at other SSD options, including the Intel 660p as it seems quite good for value. Also, I currently only use around 150 Gb on my current harddrive as I don't really have photos or music stuff, and rest of my work files are online.

I never knew about the ram frequency in WoW, so that's also good to learn! I just knew about the dual-channel ram being better compared to single-channel ram (i learned from You a while back on WoW forums :D) Thank you Oussebon for your help once again!

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
And I learned a lot from discussions with Retier on those forums. :)

Glad it was of interest! Keep us posted as you firm up your spec. Replies hours or days later are normal on the forums; no apologies needed

Lionsfury

Ahh yes, he/she the blood elf rogue :D Hehe, brings back the memories of where I would see other people were posting their knowledge and I knew if it was Oussebon the paladin or Retier the rogue, they were the ones that were sure to be correct. For example, when some denied that the intel pentium with hyperthreading was a pretty good budget CPU for WoW and insisted in getting an i5, whereas you and Retier would often refute that commonly held notion (that it was bad for WoW just because it was "dual-core"). Hehe.