A Proper Drivers Download Section

Nivation

It would be great to see the Drivers download section in the PCS account area used more. For me it's pretty much blank.

Reasons
  • faster download speed than clevo servers (200 KB/s) for me, when I get 1000 KB/s elsewhere
  • if you upgrade OS (e.g. from 7 to 8) the CD sent by PCS isn't of much use, as the drivers aren't fully compatible anymore
  • clevo site isn't the nicest to use generally, the windows 7 and 8 drivers are kinda muddled up in one long list
  • clevo links are wrong sometimes, which confused me for a while (EU server had an old AMD driver but US had a newer one - they were meant to be the same)

Pagey

Bright Spark
I like the idea of this but I'm not really sure if Clevo would agree to PCS hosting the files. Not only that PCS would need to make sure the drivers are kept up-to-date in reference to the Clevo drivers.

Even if it could be done it would be nice to have a "drivers" section on the main PCS homepage where you could look for drivers by "device" name as well as model number.

Then you would get a choice of OS drivers rather than sifting through them all to find the ones for your particular OS.

But still, I'm actually for this, would be beneficial to newcomers to PCS. It would allow users to get instant access to drivers rather than finding out too late that there are very specific drivers for their machines.

niklad

It wouldn't really be easy for all the drivers to be locally hosted and kept updated. (well it would be easy, but it'd be a lot of work)
What may be easier to achieve is a list of all components and direct links to the download page on their respective website. E.g for sabertooth Z77 motherboard, a direct link to its download page.

Everon

Enthusiast
Ye because going to the Asus site and putting in the motherboard name and your OS to get the newest drivers you need, then bookmarking that page for future reference sure is complicated lol (sarcasm intended)

The only thing I needed to get on my system when I moved from Win7 to Win8 was the newest Nvidia driver, everything else was fine. Cant say I see the need for PCS to do something like this, if people cannot even work out how to get the newset drivers using google then they should go back to using paper and pen and stay away from big complicated things like computers and toasters etc.

Pagey

Bright Spark
I may have to disagree slightly: Some people aren't technically inclined and if a driver disc for a laptop has Win7 drivers for a Win8 machine then things go slightly to pot.

Also laptop drivers are more specific and the added fact that some people wouldn't know where to look.

Mango(MarkWright)

Enthusiast
I am for this 100% some people on this forum never know where to go, even though they are told a lot by nearly all of us, this is a great suggestion, it might not work out though, there probably would be problems with downloads, and PCS may even get in trouble for hosting other's' downloads on this site, great suggestion though.