A question about gpu fan curves in msi afterburner

leea123

Enthusiast
Hi all. so am tuning the fans up to find a good balance for noise and performance and decided to make my own fan curve to help with that . In msi it says the temp limit for my 3080 is 83c which i believe is when it would start to throttle back . If i let the gpu do its own thing it goes to 75 percent fan at 74- 75c at full load . If i set a curve in msi and drop the fan percentage to max out at 70 the gpu is 76c on full load for example and of course a little quieter . What i am asking is it ok to play about with the fan percentage and maybe lower and get little higher temp as long as the max temp of the gpu does not reach the 83c to lose more noise if i wanted , or is that a bad thig to do . Thank you

B4zookaw

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Hi all. so am tuning the fans up to find a good balance for noise and performance and decided to make my own fan curve to help with that . In msi it says the temp limit for my 3080 is 83c which i believe is when it would start to throttle back . If i let the gpu do its own thing it goes to 75 percent fan at 74- 75c at full load . If i set a curve in msi and drop the fan percentage to max out at 70 the gpu is 76c on full load for example and of course a little quieter . What i am asking is it ok to play about with the fan percentage and maybe lower and get little higher temp as long as the max temp of the gpu does not reach the 83c to lose more noise if i wanted , or is that a bad thig to do . Thank you
I would say yes. It will come down to your own perference as to whehter you priortise acoustics (fan noise) over performance (limited by thermal throttling). You'll probably find a sweet spot with the fan RPMs that is the highest you would like to them to go before the acoustics becomes an issue. For me (3070 TI) that was around 60%, so my fan curve will have fans run at 60% for the temp the GPU likes to run at under full load. Beyond this point the curve ramps up a bit to bring any temp rise back down as quickly as possible.

A further step I've taken in the past few days is to undervolt the card, allow me to get the same performance, but at lower voltage and therefore lower temp and fan noise. This has made an additional improvement to the overall noise levels of the system.

leea123

Enthusiast
I would say yes. It will come down to your own perference as to whehter you priortise acoustics (fan noise) over performance (limited by thermal throttling). You'll probably find a sweet spot with the fan RPMs that is the highest you would like to them to go before the acoustics becomes an issue. For me (3070 TI) that was around 60%, so my fan curve will have fans run at 60% for the temp the GPU likes to run at under full load. Beyond this point the curve ramps up a bit to bring any temp rise back down as quickly as possible.

A further step I've taken in the past few days is to undervolt the card, allow me to get the same performance, but at lower voltage and therefore lower temp and fan noise. This has made an additional improvement to the overall noise levels of the system.
Thank you. I will create a curve to drop fans to 65 percent and watch the temps on full load to see if temps still hold at a good level below the throttle temp . All a learning curve for me , but enjoying it . . I will take a look into undervoting as well to understand it better. I also realize that the resolution i am running makes a difference 3440x1440 so it takes a bit more horsepower and will fun hotter than at 1080 . have learned a lot from this forum. Thank you

Last edited: