A wee head scratcher fpr a Saturday night.

mantadog

Superhero Level Poster
Too true. And if a man speaks and there's no woman there to hear him is he still wrong? :wacko:

The simple answer is yes, especially if the woman in questions is in a relationship with the said man. Very similar to the quantum theory of entanglement, the information will be passed instantaneously to the woman via an as yet undiscovered route. This gives the woman and incredible advantage as she can then bring it up at a time of her choosing upon an unsuspecting man...

mdwh

Enthusiast
Approximately at least it is the same, for the reasons given. The assumptions being that there is much more volume of air than water, and there is enough time for heat to transfer.

But with this question, it's unclear whether it's talking about an approximate real world case, or wanting an exact answer if one could hypothetically measure it.

Water has a higher specific heat capacity, so therefore it takes more energy to increase the temperature (same amount of heat energy doesn't imply same temperature). Therefore the temperature would be lower simply because of the extra water in the room. On the other hand, if heat energy transfers more quickly from computer to air via water, then it would heat the air more quickly, meaning the temperature would be higher at any given time. I don't know which of these two effects would be greater (and each would depend on the specifics of the cooling system, size of room, etc).

sparki makes a good point about the amount of power for the systems - this probably wasn't the point of the question, but it is an example of how these questions are often sloppily worded, which is much of the reason why there is so much disagreement.

Since we are talking real world the answer is fairly simple, the energy output is the same so while it might take fractionally longer to heat up (as the water absorbs the energy) the end result is identical.
If it's a sealed room, I don't think there is a stable end result - it would continue to heat up. If one takes fractionally longer, then at any given time, it's at a lower temperature.

Last edited:

halox

Enthusiast
I think you should really read the post from the beginning, including the Facebook conversation. It was not a science question paper and should not be treated that way. Simply a passing statement on Facebook. It was a bit of fun. The original question came about as guy on Facebook said he got a watercooler for his GPU and his room is now considerably cooler than with air cooling. He got the watercooler as he stays in a hot country and had the idea that as the GPU remains at a cooler temperature under water as apposed to air, this would keep his room cooler too. That person and others argued this case. Whereas others stated there will be very little difference.

I stuck it on here to get people opinions on this. I am not interested in 0.5 degree differences or overclocking, room size, vent placement or the size of the windows. Its just a comment that we make a decision on based on the information we have, for fun!

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
I think you should really read the post from the beginning, including the Facebook conversation. It was not a science question paper and should not be treated that way. Simply a passing statement on Facebook. It was a bit of fun. The original question came about as guy on Facebook said he got a watercooler for his GPU and his room is now considerably cooler than with air cooling. He got the watercooler as he stays in a hot country and had the idea that as the GPU remains at a cooler temperature under water as apposed to air, this would keep his room cooler too. That person and others argued this case. Whereas others stated there will be very little difference.

I stuck it on here to get people opinions on this. I am not interested in 0.5 degree differences or overclocking, room size, vent placement or the size of the windows. Its just a comment that we make a decision on based on the information we have, for fun!

So.....I can stop calculating the relativistic effects of the different speeds of air molecules and the non-linear (chaotic) air flow for each cooling system then? :confused:

Karnor00

Bright Spark
Assuming a PC in an otherwise empty room, the volume of water in the water cooling system could add a comparatively significant amount of mass to the room. I for example have a massive radiator - so there's about 3 litres of water running around the system, plus the weight of the radiator itself. More mass would require more energy to heat it up.

Assuming the GPU is run at the same speed with either cooling solution then the heat generated by the GPU would be the same. On the other hand the water cooled system will generate more heat than the air cooled solution but virtue of needing to move water around as well as air.

So it would depend whether the additional mass of the water cooling system was proportionally greater than the additional heat generated by the water cooling system. In most cases I think this would result in the water cooled solution leading to a cooler room.

However, in a real world practical situation, all of these differences are likely trivial. Any differences identified by the computer user would be all in the mind!

mdwh

Enthusiast
I don't see why treating it as a thought experiment ("science question paper") means we don't think it's fun - I find science fun :)

I did read the post, and the thread - several people have been considering this as one of those theoretical thought experiments, and considering the various scientific aspects (as I think is good - that's what makes these questions fun, in my opinion). I'm not on Facebook, and commented based on the discussion in this thread.

I agree that the logic "as the GPU remains at a cooler temperature under water as apposed to air, this would keep his room cooler too" is faulty. If he's convinced there's a difference, the practical answer would be to run an experiment.