Accidentally overclocked my GPU, desperate to reset - help!

Keeping in line with nothing but problems since the day I bought my new PC a couple of weeks ago, I followed some steps on YouTube to "maximize your GPU" and it's now completely unstable, making really basic games like Brotato which was running at a flawless 120 fps stutter badly (insta-drops from 120 to 80, the back - it's all over the shop) and in Firestorm the clock starts at 210 mhz (was sitting around 410 when I bought it and would fluctuate reasonably) and instantly jumping to what seems to be the max of 1590 mhz, and back again, constantly chopping. The temperature is also rising a lot more quickly, and the fans are not coming in when they used to.

I think the main culprit is a setting I changed in GeForce Experience, but it won't seem to reset. I've tried everything - uninstalled Firestorm and GeForce Experience, unintalled drivers in safe mode, changed stuff back in power settings, etc - it's a 3090ti - is there any way at all to just reset it to what it was? I don't know why I changed it, it was finally all working perfectly lol. I need the PC for work too, so I'm panicking a bit now. Anything that can be done in the BIOS? Nothing I am Google seems to help, and in fact it's Google that's rekt me in the first place. Thanks!

LIAN LI LANCOOL II GAMING CASE
Overclocked Intel® Core™ i9-11900K Eight Core (3.50GHz @ up to 5.4GHz)
ASUS® ROG STRIX Z590-F GAMING WIFI (LGA1200, USB 3.2, PCIe 4.0) - ARGB Ready
Motherboard wifi aerials
64GB Corsair VENGEANCE RGB PRO DDR4 3200MHz (4 x 16GB)
24GB NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 3090 Ti - HDMI, DP
4TB CORSAIR MP600 PRO NVMe PCIe M.2 SSD (up to 7000 MB/R, 6850 MB/W)
4TB CORSAIR MP600 PRO NVMe PCIe M.2 SSD (up to 7000 MB/R, 6850 MB/W)
20TB SEAGATE IRONWOLF PRO 3.5", 7200 RPM 256MB CACHE
6TB SEAGATE IRONWOLF PRO 3.5", 7200 RPM 256MB CACHE
6TB SEAGATE IRONWOLF PRO 3.5", 7200 RPM 256MB CACHE
CORSAIR 1000W RMe SERIES™ MODULAR 80 PLUS GOLD, ULTRA QUIET
1 x 1.5 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX RGB Hydro Series High Performance CPU Cooler
ARCTIC MX-4 EXTREME THERMAL CONDUCTIVITY COMPOUND
Creative Sound Blaster® Audigy™ FX
10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT
MIN. 2 x USB 3.0 & 2 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL + MIN. 2 FRONT PORTS
Windows 11 Home 64 Bit - inc. Single Licence [KUK-00003]

leea123

Enthusiast
surely there is an option in a firestorm to reset to standard. I use MSI afterburner and it works great, maybe try that. I am no expert, but afterburner has easy options to reset to standard. What would you have changed in the GeForce experience ?. I am sure the good people on here will be able to help.

B4zookaw

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
It would help if you describe what settings you changed in GeForce to enable this “overclock”.

surely there is an option in a firestorm to reset to standard. I use MSI afterburner and it works great, maybe try that. I am no expert, but afterburner has easy options to reset to standard. What would you have changed in the GeForce experience ?. I am sure the good people on here will be able to help.
You'd think yeah, but there's nothing and I did install MSI Afterburner, click the reset in there and it did nothing (and then uninstalled it). Also, the GeForce thing, here's an image (from the internet, this isn't mine) of the thing I clicked, but... it's still set to off on my PC and it never did a scan - it's like it just said no, so I have no idea if this is even the problem or not, or why it wouldn't let me turn it on properly. I am not on the PC right now but will grab a load more info this morning from it.

Attachments

• geforce-experience-new-performance-tuning-and-monitoring-options.png
    geforce-experience-new-performance-tuning-and-monitoring-options.png
    333.7 KB · Views: 86
Here's some extra images of what is happening. This is MSI Afterburner with nothing going on, then the second I click open on Steam for example, it just shoots right to max Mhz. I tried that reset button, it does nothing - same with the reset button I found in Firestorm. Any suggestions of what to try next? Oh, here's a chart too of what is happening when I open Steam and play a game for a couple of minutes.

Attachments

• MSI_01.jpg
    MSI_01.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 73
  • MSI_02.jpg
    MSI_02.jpg
    116.4 KB · Views: 72
  • GPU_01.jpg
    GPU_01.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 78
Here's the GeForce Experience thing I clicked, under experimental, but it never activated that switch and never did a scan, so I am not sure it even did anything.

Attachments

• GeForce.jpg
    GeForce.jpg
    195.5 KB · Views: 78
HWiNFO screen grabs taken before and after opening Steam. Is there no straight forward way to just reset the GPU? Again online info is all over the place, I am reading I might have to reinstall Windows?

Attachments

• HWin_02.jpg
    HWin_02.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 61
  • HWin_03.jpg
    HWin_03.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 67
Fans also not reacting properly. Should be on by now on auto, but temp going up and not coming on.

Attachments

• Fans.jpg
    Fans.jpg
    117.5 KB · Views: 59
I ran the OC Scanner thing, and now the GPU clock is going up even further than the boost clock thing on the right, now I am scared my computer is literally going to kill itself - this is with no programs open, doing nothing at all. Should I shut it down for now?

Attachments

• 1875.jpg
    1875.jpg
    157.8 KB · Views: 63

B4zookaw

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
So it's normal for a GPU clock to have a lower value, and then rise to max when under load. I presume Steam/Game is placing such a load on the GPU and causing clock to rise. As for fans, many cards won't start fans until temp gets to around 50C or so. Zero fan mode it's often referred to.

steaky360

I ran the OC Scanner thing, and now the GPU clock is going up even further than the boost clock thing on the right, now I am scared my computer is literally going to kill itself - this is with no programs open, doing nothing at all. Should I shut it down for now?
The image in this post seems to indicate the fans are now spinning....

Slow down a second and take stock of what is happening. I'd suggest starting from the beginning with a detailed account of what you think you changed, what happened, what you've done since then and what is currently happening now.

Instability in games can be caused by a lot of things so if thats the only issue might need to do a bit more digging to get to the bottom of things.

The image in this post seems to indicate the fans are now spinning....

Slow down a second and take stock of what is happening. I'd suggest starting from the beginning with a detailed account of what you think you changed, what happened, what you've done since then and what is currently happening now.

Instability in games can be caused by a lot of things so if thats the only issue might need to do a bit more digging to get to the bottom of things.
They did start spinning when I applied the OC Scanner thing, but I just shut it down as the heat and fans started going through the roof (took a video) whilst the GPU clock started coming down. It sounded like it was going to explode. The instability in this game has only happened since I messed with the settings. It's a super basic game too. Will watch back through the video and see what I did.

So it's normal for a GPU clock to have a lower value, and then rise to max when under load. I presume Steam/Game is placing such a load on the GPU and causing clock to rise. As for fans, many cards won't start fans until temp gets to around 50C or so. Zero fan mode it's often referred to.
It's been fine until I changed some settings - it's insta maxing out on the Mhz when the computer is doing nothing at all also. And with the auto fan settings in Firestorm, they usually come on at 30% basically from the moment I turn the PC on, which was fine.

B4zookaw

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
I think you've been jumping in and out of so many settings and software that it's best to start with a clean slate. What I'd be doing at this stage is connecting your monitor to your onboard graphics, then uninstall Firestorm, Afterburner and GeForce. I'd also use DDU to cleanly remove the Nvida drivers. I'd then remove the GPU from the device manager (right click on card and choose "uninstall device"). Then restart, let windows detect the GPU again and install basic drivers. Then install latest version of GeForce, with clean install and default settings.

And then don't touch anything and see how system performs. If you see behaviour that seems strange, report back here and DON'T change anything until you get some advice.

I think you've been jumping in and out of so many settings and software that it's best to start with a clean slate. What I'd be doing at this stage is connecting your monitor to your onboard graphics, then uninstall Firestorm, Afterburner and GeForce. I'd also use DDU to cleanly remove the Nvida drivers. I'd then remove the GPU from the device manager (right click on card and choose "uninstall device"). Then restart, let windows detect the GPU again and install basic drivers. Then install latest version of GeForce, with clean install and default settings.

And then don't touch anything and see how system performs. If you see behaviour that seems strange, report back here and DON'T change anything until you get some advice.

I can't see a way of connecting the monitor to the onboard graphics. There's an HDMI thing but it's covered up. Any way of doing all of the above any other way?

steaky360

Use either the HDMI or DP slots on your motherboard rather than your GPU

They're on the LHS in this image
1669300614712.png