Acer aspire 5735z not booting up.

Hi ,i have a bii of a problem with my 3 year old laptop.

Its was working fine as usual , never any problems before , then it turned off .

At the time I was just completing the security code on my card for Paypal (which worried me a bit ). After checking on another pc the payment had gone through.

I turned it back on and it got as far as ,

PXE-E61:MEDIA TEST FALIURE, CHECK CABLE
PXE-MOF:EXITING PXE ROM.
OPERATING SYSTEM NOT FOUND.

i have opened the bios and it is showing this -IDEO:ST9250315AS-(PM) as no 1 in the boot order.

The only other thing that may be worth mentioning is that for the past week we have been having power cuts in our area and somethimes reduced power (dim house lights ect ) but the power supply seemed normal at the time of the laptop shutting down , this is going to be a new hard drive isnt it?:(

Thanksin advance for any help offered ,

Cheers , Spud.

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
If your bios settings has an option to boot from the LAN/Network, disable this option, save and exit..
If this does not resolve the issue, try resetting the bios values to the default settings, save and exit.
As a last resort take out the drive if possible, give it 2 or 3 firm taps with your fingers,reinsert drive & reboot.

Music Guy123

Prolific Poster
Don't tap too hard, hard drives are rather delicate!

Oh, and what is your spec, always a good idea to pass it through here to make sure you have got it right! You can change it when it is in pre-production without any problems.

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
Don't tap too hard, hard drives are rather delicate!

Oh, and what is your spec, always a good idea to pass it through here to make sure you have got it right! You can change it when it is in pre-production without any problems.
I did say as a last resort :) this can sometimes be just a temporary fix,
but at least give you the chance to save any data you want.

I cant see how to disable the network (this is no.2in list) but I can move it down the list ,which I did.Fired it up again but still the same , then changed the values to the default settings but that made no difference.
Not sure what you mean by "spec".
I will bring a hammer home tommorrow and have a go on the hard drive ,we will see how hard it is:hammer:

Rakk

The Awesome

He has no spec to check, he was just asking for advice on an ailing laptop :)

Music Guy123

Prolific Poster
Sorry, yes I am being dopey! I thought he was paying for a new pc and the problem occured. Sorry, just being very dopey! Ignore my previous post!

Had the hard drive out ,tapped it about ,still not booting up.

I disabled network boot but still the same.

Is it worth downloading any boot repair software ,is there any?

If I cannot fix it is it worth taking it to a repair shop or would I be better off buying a new hhd, its a seagate momentus 5400.6.
Thing is I dont have a vista copy (it came pre-loaded) whats the best bet there?

My son has a copy ,(he,s using seven I think) so can I use the copy we bought him on a new hhd , or is it registered to just him now?

Should I buy the same hhd or is there better that would fit straight in,where from ,I am in Oldham so Bowlers court pc fair is not far or should I get one off the net?

Sorry for all the dumn questions but i,m a bit lost here:(

Cheers ,Spud