Add extra HD

Mulligan

Silver Level Poster
Hi,

I purchased a new desktop from PCS a couple months ago, I'm now looking to add an additional SSD drive. If I do this myself will I risk voiding warranty or any service agreements I have with PCS?

Thanks!

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
If you're not sure whether you're one of the unfortunate people who hold a static charge get hold of an electrostatic wrist strap. You can get them from from any decent computer or electronics shop and they're not expensive. They connect you to ground through the strap so that any charge you have built up discharges safely through the wrist strap and not through the PC components - which would be bad. Very bad.

If, like me, you know that you don't hold much of a static charge just touch something that is earthed like a water pipe or the PC case if the mains cord is still plugged in, and that will dissipate any charge you may have built up.

That's about the only damage you're likely to do - unless you're really careless. :)

Stephen M

Author Level
There are some very wrist straps about, mine has a sort of plug on it, bottom two pins plastic but earth pin metal so it plugs in and is easy to use. As they are not expensive I would recommend them for anyone unless they are totally sure about what static they hold.