Adding extra case fans

joeben

Bronze Level Poster
Hey guys, I have the corsair 600t case, which has an optional mesh side to add up to 4 120mm fans. I have 4 120mm fans that are not doing anything, so do you think that I should put these in to the case? My cpu tends to run at about 60-72 constantly when gaming, and has a max operating temp of 66.8, so I am worried. Would the extra case fans work?

Last edited:

joeben

Bronze Level Poster
PS. I know that extra case fans may not have a huge impact on cpu temps directly. But I thought that it possibly might cool down my gpus and therefore cause less heat in general when gaming?

VenatoS

Hey there joeben.
Since you are worried about your CPU temps, could you tell me what CPU you have and what CPU cooler do you own?

Usually adding many fans do your case does not improve temps that much (1-4 C) from what i've heard.

keynes

Multiverse Poster
Would the extra case fans work?
I know that extra case fans may not have a huge impact on cpu temps directly

Agree with your answer. You could add more fans but it won't have a significant difference in temperatures, your temps are not a concern at all. The cpu can run over 90 degrees.

joeben

Bronze Level Poster
I know that extra case fans may not have a huge impact on cpu temps directly

Agree with your answer. You could add more fans but it won't have a significant difference in temperatures, your temps are not a concern at all. The cpu can run over 90 degrees.

I have read online that my cpu can not handle that sort of temperature. (4960x)

steaky360

60-72 degrees isn't a problem, I simply wouldn't worry about it :) But if it has a max temp of 66.8 then its only running 60-67 rather than 72 :D

More case fans may indeed provide more air in the case and subsequently cooler graphics cards but its not certain and the benefits are debatable. You may not like the increased noise they bring.

Better CPU cooling might be an option if you really are concerned and would give you a much better result imo.

Where?

I assume you're referring to http://ark.intel.com/products/77779/Intel-Core-i7-4960X-Processor-Extreme-Edition-15M-Cache-up-to-4_00-GHz T.Case - which is not the same thing as the processors temperature.

The 4960x is an extreme edition processor designed for overclocking, its meant to potentially get a little toasty.

Don't worry :) But if you can't stop worrying, get a better CPU cooler :)

joeben

Bronze Level Poster
I meant 66.8 is the max operating temp :) sorry for the confusion. I have the h100i so I wouldn't know how to improve the CPU cooling.

VenatoS

It should be able to handle 90, it should throttle at around 100 most likely.

If you have the fans, then i would go for it and mount then in a logical way.

joeben

Bronze Level Poster
It should be able to handle 90, it should throttle at around 100 most likely.

If you have the fans, then i would go for it and mount then in a logical way.

Thats what I thought, I have the fans, so I may as well. Are there any disadvantages of adding them? Other than increased noise?

steaky360

Is your CPU overclocked? The H100 should provide better cooling than that on a stock processor (although I hope its overclocked :))

No real disadvantages other than the increased noise really.

VenatoS

Thats what I thought, I have the fans, so I may as well. Are there any disadvantages of adding them? Other than increased noise?

Yeah, power consumption so be careful if you have a limited PSU.
Also the cable management can get a bit messy :p

But it should help to keep your GPU and other components a little cooler, just make sure to read some stuff online on how to position and where to mount your case fans as that DOES matter.

joeben

Bronze Level Poster
Another thought I had... My SSD and HDD are in the middle drive bay at the front of my case. The drive bay below that is completely empty and is just sitting in front of the intake fan doing nothing. Do you think I should remove the lower bay?

joeben

Bronze Level Poster
Yeah, power consumption so be careful if you have a limited PSU.
Also the cable management can get a bit messy :p

But it should help to keep your GPU and other components a little cooler, just make sure to read some stuff online on how to position and where to mount your case fans as that DOES matter.

Well my case has a mesh side panel which I will be mounting the fans onto. All my fans are currently plugged into the psu, so I thought I would plug these straight into the mobo, I have 8 4 pin headers free on my mobo, and I'll use the y adapter that came with the fans to plug 2 fans into 1 header.

VenatoS

Another thought I had... My SSD and HDD are in the middle drive bay at the front of my case. The drive bay below that is completely empty and is just sitting in front of the intake fan doing nothing. Do you think I should remove the lower bay?

Gooo for it! :D
Its your computer! Experiment with new things :) Just make sure you are careful not to damage anything and think three times before you do something!

joeben

Bronze Level Poster
Is your CPU overclocked? The H100 should provide better cooling than that on a stock processor (although I hope its overclocked :))

No real disadvantages other than the increased noise really.

No it isn't overclocked :( that is down to the high temps I am seeing when not overclocked.

VenatoS

No it isn't overclocked :( that is down to the high temps I am seeing when not overclocked.

What i suggest doing is, taking off the CPU cooler (Just the bit that directly touches the CPU), cleaning the thermal paste with 99% alcohol, and then applying new thermal paste and putting back on the CPU Cooler.
This SHOULD fix the problem :)

joeben

Bronze Level Poster
What i suggest doing is, taking off the CPU cooler (Just the bit that directly touches the CPU), cleaning the thermal paste with 99% alcohol, and then applying new thermal paste and putting back on the CPU Cooler.
This SHOULD fix the problem :)

I want to do that, but I am terrified of doing it wrong and ruining something :/. I am no good with the insides of PCs.

keynes

Multiverse Poster
I want to do that, but I am terrified of doing it wrong and ruining something :/. I am no good with the insides of PCs.

The temperatures you posted are not a concerned. Don't reapply thermal paste, if you were experiencing those temperatures at idle maybe you may want to consider it but it is not a problem.

VenatoS

If you want to do it but you are just afraid, watch some youtube videos they always help and show step by step moves.
You have to start somewhere :)