Adding extra fans to Fractal R2

patmcg205

Bronze Level Poster
Hi Guys,

Having recently taking delivery of my new rig I want to play with a few basic modifications. Review and pictures to follow, after my exams on the 4th of October.

I've ordered some braided LEDs with controller and want to order 2 140mm blue LED fans. I'm looking for recommendations on two things first of all which fans to get to maintain the super quite nature of the rig while adding a bit of colour and secondly the Fractal R2 Arc case I've got has a built in fan controller. Is it possible to split the fan cables to control 5 fans from the controller rather than just the current 3?

Thanks in advance

Patrick

patmcg205

Bronze Level Poster
Cheers thanks. I don't really have 'a budget' but £25 seems reasonable. I'll have a look at these thanks.

Any thoughts on if it's possible to split the fan controller cable to run 5 vs 3 fans?

steaky360

Chances are you will be able to use two "y splitter cables" to split the connections on the fan controller to control 5 fans as opposed to 3. You'd need to check that the fans you pick are under the total voltage which can be supplied through each fan header on the controller (Fractal website suggests 10w max - i suspect this is in total). Most fans I'd guess use <1W each so in theory at least you should be able to plug more than one into each header.