Adjust Dedicated VRAM Pool Ryzen 7 4800H

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flkrz

I'm wondering if it's at all possible to manually adjust the dedicated VRAM reservation of system memory to always be a higher value?

Currently my week old Fusion Pro 14 is only giving the GPU cores 512MB of the 16GB single DIMM installed. I have another matched DIMM on order (thanks PCS for giving wholesale pricing, cheaper than Amazon!) which will boost me up to 32GB.

I'm currently envisaging only needing about 24GB RAM total at any time, so would like to give the GPU some more VRAM so I can do more with it. I've looked in the BIOS and there are basically no options for me to control in there at all.

Any advice is appreciated.

mrlip

Gold Level Poster
Can you post full specs - Does this machine have a dedicated GPU? Either way, You don’t want your GPU using system RAM, it will grind to a slideshow halt. VRAM is much faster than system RAM. If you are using a DX11 application and you exceed VRAM, it will try to use system RAM and you will see that everything with turn into a slideshow. DX12 applications are different, they no longer use system RAM and will simply crash if VRAM is exceeded

Flkrz

Can you post full specs - Does this machine have a dedicated GPU? Either way, You don’t want your GPU using system RAM, it will grind to a slideshow halt. VRAM is much faster than system RAM. If you are using a DX11 application and you exceed VRAM, it will try to use system RAM and you will see that everything with turn into a slideshow. DX12 applications are different, they no longer use system RAM and will simply crash if VRAM is exceeded

That's why I said it is a Ryzen 7 4800H. It's an APU.

The laptop has a Ryzen APU, with a single 16GB 2666MHz DDR4 DIMM. I'm well aware there is faster memory on the market, but this is the highest spec available from PCS.

There is no dedicated GPU. I don't intend to be doing any particularly heavy gaming, this is more just to ensure that the system has enough memory dedicated to the GPU to prevent applications becoming starved of memory.

Flkrz

You can adjust video memory in windows:

Thanks for trying, but that link talks about older types of hardware, and is pretty much only regarding Intel chipsets.

As I mentioned at the start, there's no option in the BIOS to change anything that I can find.

To clarify this last point explicitly, the only options in the BIOS that are available to myself are the date/time and the boot order. No other options or functions are available.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Thanks for trying, but that link talks about older types of hardware, and is pretty much only regarding Intel chipsets.

As I mentioned at the start, there's no option in the BIOS to change anything that I can find.

To clarify this last point explicitly, the only options in the BIOS that are available to myself are the date/time and the boot order. No other options or functions are available.
That's because it's a laptop. PCS laptops generally have pretty locked down BIOSes.

Flkrz

That's because it's a laptop. PCS laptops generally have pretty locked down BIOSes.

I totally get that. I'm just trying to find out if there's a way to increase the dedicated memory pool for the GPU cores on my Ryzen 4800H on my Fusion 14 Pro.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
I totally get that. I'm just trying to find out if there's a way to increase the dedicated memory pool for the GPU cores on my Ryzen 4800H on my Fusion 14 Pro.
I appreciate that and whilst there is a registry hack for Intel CPU/iGPUs I know of no way to do that on an AMD CPU except via the BIOS. Your best option is probably to phone PCS and ask....

Flkrz

I appreciate that and whilst there is a registry hack for Intel CPU/iGPUs I know of no way to do that on an AMD CPU except via the BIOS. Your best option is probably to phone PCS and ask....

OK, I'll try that. I wasn't 100% sure if PCS used the forums or not as I couldn't remember. I'll give them a ring when I can.

Thanks!

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
OK, I'll try that. I wasn't 100% sure if PCS used the forums or not as I couldn't remember. I'll give them a ring when I can.

Thanks!
PCS staff rarely visit here, they're not an official support channel. I hope you get it sorted. :)

tonyk2005

Thanks!
Hey, did you manage to get an answer to this from PCS?
I was just looking up the same question and came across your post. I have seen online that there is an updated Mechrevo bios v1.06 for the Code 01 which I believe is the same laptop as the Fusion IV. The new Bios allows you to set the Vram amount. Im just not sure if it is safe to install this on the Fusion IV in case PCS have done any customization to their own bios which might brick it.

Grumpywurzel

Bright Spark
I was just looking up the same question and came across your post. I have seen online that there is an updated Mechrevo bios v1.06 for the Code 01 which I believe is the same laptop as the Fusion IV. The new Bios allows you to set the Vram amount. Im just not sure if it is safe to install this on the Fusion IV in case PCS have done any customization to their own bios which might brick it.
Be careful, any unauthorized BIOS updates (i.e. not supplied by PCS) will invalidate your warranty

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Custom laptops BIOSes are not like ordinary bios, they are a lot more difficult to flash. As @Grumpywurzel says, any BIOS flash without PCS agreement will invalidate warranty.

Flkrz

Sorry for lack of update.

PCS have confirmed that the BIOS is configured in a way that does not allow changing the VRAM pool. When I spoke to the support engineer, he expected to be able to modify those values in the Radeon software, but it was not available.

Hope this helps!

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Sorry for lack of update.

PCS have confirmed that the BIOS is configured in a way that does not allow changing the VRAM pool. When I spoke to the support engineer, he expected to be able to modify those values in the Radeon software, but it was not available.

Hope this helps!
Thanks for feeding that back

94Sam

In another thread, it was suggested than amd will provide an update for the bios in january. Would this make an impact on being able to change the vram possible?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
In another thread, it was suggested than amd will provide an update for the bios in january. Would this make an impact on being able to change the vram possible?
No, it's just for allowing new CPU's.

Why do you need more VRAM?

94Sam

I only have 512mb, there's no gpu just the apu, whenever I'm playing im always maxing out the 512mb and I have 16gb ram

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I only have 512mb, there's no gpu just the apu, whenever I'm playing im always maxing out the 512mb and I have 16gb ram
If you're using an APU for gaming, you've got the wrong machine. It's never going to be a good experience I'm afraid, you need a dGPU for gaming.

Bhuna50

Author Level
You say your Fusion is only a week old, is it definitely a Pro 14? as the Fusions currently on sale done include a Pro 14 - it might be no longer offered but the Fusions on here now seem to have dedicated geforce cards with ram on - go into your order page / account page and click the Post spec to Forum link and copy and paste the specifications here - it might be that for some reason the card isnt being found, so be best for someone to see the spec and might be able to advise you further.

The Fusion is also not listed as a gaming laptop so you may find you are quite restricted with what you can run on it anyway, but be interesting to see the spec and get further advice from the experts I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.