advice about my specs and GPU

aydmer

Hi, I see that the RTX 2070 Super the brand is Palit or zotac, my question is what is the difference between palit / zotac and asus for example.
and what do you think about the specifications I have chosen, advice is always welcome!
CasePCS SPECTRUM RGB MIDI-TOWER BEHUIZING
down_right_arrow.gif
Change to: COOLERMASTER MASTERBOX MB530P RGB GAMING CASE
Processor (CPU)Intel® Core™ i9 10 Core i9-10900K (3,7 GHz) cache van 20 MB
MotherboardASUS® TUF Z490-PLUS GAMING (LGA1200, USB 3.2, CrossFireX) - geschikt voor RGB
Memory (RAM)32 GB Corsair VENGEANCE RGB DDR4 PRO 3200 MHz (2 x 16 GB)
Graphics Card8 GB NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 2070 SUPER - HDMI, 3 x DP GeForce - RTX geschikt voor VR!
1st Storage DriveNIET VEREIST
1st M.2 SSD Drive500 GB SAMSUNG 970 EVO PLUS M.2, PCIe NVMe (maximaal 3500 MB/R, 3200 MB/W)
down_right_arrow.gif
Change to: 1TB SAMSUNG 970 EVO PLUS M.2, PCIe NVMe (up to 3500MB/R, 3300MB/W)
DVD/BLU-RAY DriveNIET VEREIST
Power SupplyCORSAIR 750 W TXm SERIES™ SEMI-MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOUD, ULTRASTIL
Power Cable1 x stroomkabel van 1 meter voor Europa
Processor CoolingMasterLiquid Lite 240 high-performance vloeistofkoeler van Cooler Master
down_right_arrow.gif
Change to: Corsair H100i RGB PLATINUM Hydro Series High Performance CPU Cooler
Thermal PasteARCTIC MX-4 EXTREEM WARMTEGELEIDINGSONDERDEEL
Extra Case FansNIET VEREIST
Sound Card6 KANALEN (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO INGEBOUWD (STANDAARD)
Wireless/Wired NetworkingDRAADLOOS 802.11N 300 Mbps/2,4 GHz PCI-E-KAART
USB/Thunderbolt OptionsMIN. 2 x USB 3.0- & 2 x USB 2.0-POORTEN @ ACHTERPANEEL + MIN. 2 POORTEN AAN VOORZIJDE
Operating SystemGEEN BESTURINGSSYSTEEM VEREIST
Operating System LanguageNederland/Nederland - Nederlands
Windows Recovery MediaGEEN HERSTELMEDIA NODIG
Office SoftwareGRATIS 30 dagen Microsoft® Office® 365 op proef (besturingssysteem vereist)
Anti-VirusGEEN ANTI-VIRUSSOFTWARE
BrowserGoogle Chrome™
Warranty3 jaar gouden garantie (2 jaar ophalen en retourneren, 2 jaar onderdelen, 3 jaar arbeid)
InsuranceSimplesurance aankoopverzekering incl. schade door ongeval en diefstal
Delivery2 DAGEN VERZENDING NAAR NEDERLAND
Build TimeStandaardversie - ongeveer 12 tot 14 werkdagen

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
What's it for?

What monitor are you piaring it with, what resolution and refresh rate or make and model if you're unsure?

What's you maximum budget?

The different manufacturers just do different designs but all GPU's pretty much perform the same.

aydmer

This is the computer that I ordered 2 weeks ago, was only curious about what you guys think about the specs.
it is mainly for gaming but I would also like to edit videos in the future.

i will buy a 144/244 hertz monitor, still looking at it

Stephen M

Author Level
If it is not too late to cancel I would start again with an AMD build, the current Intel CPUs are way behind, slower, much poorer thermals and security issues.

SlimCini

KC and the Sunshine BANNED
I prefer intel, thanks for the advice sir!
You prefer worse performing, worse value tech with security issues? Eh??

You're being told to swap, not out of someone else's fanboy loyalty to AMD, but because AMD is currently the far better option. Sticking with Intel is lunacy. If you only ordered two weeks ago then probably still in pre-produxtion so easy to cancel and start again. Intel are a dead duck right now for almost anything other than obscure 240hz 1080p gaming. Anything else and if you choose Intel then you're shooting yourself OK the foot (and bank account).

keithbeaks

Enthusiast
I prefer intel, thanks for the advice sir!

Based on what? I know absolutely nothing about computers, but it seems to be widely agreed that intel are only better for top level gaming and aren't future proof? They also have security issues as well?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
A lot of people have only ever had Intel chips in their systems so they prefer them because they have experience with them....it's the same principle as people stick with the same car manufacturer for years because they know it rather than going with a brand they don't know, even if it's better
You’ll find that most people who state “I prefer intel” aren’t aware of the security issues or the lack of performance, as far as they’re concerned they’re still the best processors.
It’s like saying I’ll still buy BMW even though you can’t lock the doors and anyone can drive off with it.

Grinty

Bronze Level Poster
You’ll find that most people who state “I prefer intel” aren’t aware of the security issues or the lack of performance, as far as they’re concerned they’re still the best processors.
It’s like saying I’ll still buy BMW even though you can’t lock the doors and anyone can drive off with it.

I'm going to cut against the grain here and say AMD isn't inherently more secure than Intel. They both have security vulnerabilities published. Intel has more, but security researchers are going to focus their effort there because Intel has higher market share and vulnerabilities that affect more machines will get more publicity. To extend the metaphor it's like saying "Mercedes is more secure than BMW because half of the door locks work".

That said, the other arguments in this thread in favour of AMD are valid and they are what I'd recommend.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
They both have security vulnerabilities published. Intel has more, but security researchers are going to focus their effort there because Intel has higher market share and vulnerabilities that affect more machines will get more publicity. To extend the metaphor it's like saying "Mercedes is more secure than BMW because half of the door locks work".
That’s nonsense. Intel have a team dedicated to unearthing AMD flaws and they pay heavily for 3rd parties to research them also.

On the last count I think it was about 45 AMD flaws that had been successfully patched with minimal performance impact vs hundreds for intel causing 20% average slowdown accounting for patches and also something like 15% of the are unpatchable at a software/firmware level.

When you account that intels architecture is over 5 years old, it makes perfect logical sense, they haven’t changed the design for so long to address any of the issues.

AMD’s latest chips are brand new architecture.

Last edited:

Grinty

Bronze Level Poster
That’s nonsense. Intel have a team dedicated to unearthing AMD flaws and they pay heavily for 3rd parties to research them also.

From the first article: "we felt it would be important to provide an update clarifying that Intel also funds chip security research on a broad scale, including on its own processors. Gruss and his team did the right thing being transparent about the funding. At the same time, it sounds like just one of the students involved in the research received funding from Intel. It's still interesting, as we pointed out above, but we also don't feel like Intel sent out the security hounds to drag its competitor (AMD) through the mud, or anything like that."

And the second: "We can not deny the fact that Intel has a popular bounty program that encourages security researchers to find vulnerabilities in its architecture."

I agree that AMD's new architecture should be more secure than Intel's old one, but there has also been less time for people to find vulnerabilities in it.

I suppose the main thing I take issue with is that in just about any other aspect of PC-building a comparison between two parts today is still going to be verifiably true in a decade's time. When it comes to security all we can really say is "Intel's CPUs have unpatchable vulnerabilities" and "we don't know if AMD's CPUs have any unpatchable vulnerabilities". From these it's a short step to "AMD is more secure than Intel", but it just takes one exploit to come back to "AMD and Intel both have unpatchable vulnerabilities".

This is all basically arguing over semantics - the outcome is that AMD is as secure or better than Intel, and there are plenty of other reasons to recommend AMD over Intel.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
From the first article: "we felt it would be important to provide an update clarifying that Intel also funds chip security research on a broad scale, including on its own processors. Gruss and his team did the right thing being transparent about the funding. At the same time, it sounds like just one of the students involved in the research received funding from Intel. It's still interesting, as we pointed out above, but we also don't feel like Intel sent out the security hounds to drag its competitor (AMD) through the mud, or anything like that."
I'm not arguing that at all. The inherent issue is that despite the Zero Day unpatchable flaws, Intel has done nothing to address any of them at a hardware level which AMD has done 3 generations in a row.

And the second: "We can not deny the fact that Intel has a popular bounty program that encourages security researchers to find vulnerabilities in its architecture."
AMD have the same program and researchers work extremely closely with AMD as well.

I agree that AMD's new architecture should be more secure than Intel's old one, but there has also been less time for people to find vulnerabilities in it.
I don't understand that comment, any flaw that's found is then researched on all CPU's to see if it's present in other manufacturers also which is why Spectre/Meltdown was found to be present in all CPU's except ARM's.

All those historic flaws that were found in Intel years ago have been researched on AMD, but because AMD have redesigned the Architecture, AMD have written out those flaws at a hardware level which is what any responsible manufacturer would do. Intel haven't bothered in any way shape or form and just continued with the same design fully knowing they're fatally flawed.

Any hardware or software will always have unknown vulnerabilities which will become issues in the future, that's just how technology works. As capabilites move on, new routes are discovered for circumventing security. You'll find when quantum computing hits the mainstream, we'll find thousands of flaws in existing x86 architecture. The point is, once it's found, the manufacturer needs to address it.

Intel have very publically said they won't be addressing any of the flaws at a hardware level until 10nm in 2022 at the earliest, that's 4 years since spectre was found. Totally unacceptable. Not only that but they consistently lied about fixes:

SlimCini

KC and the Sunshine BANNED
Please im curious just what you guys think about my specs,
No discussions about CPU please
You want us to let you know what we think of your specs, but if we don't like some of the specs then you don't want us to tell you about that? Basically, you just want everyone on here to say everything is great?

aydmer

Look up my friend , im asking about all the specs but everyone is talking about amd, this topic is not about amd/intel. You can say what you like and dont like, i dont wanna discus about why intel why not amd, i like intel , maybe someone can say hey you can choose better for this brand or that model because .... for examble

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
The build is fine.

The GPU you've chose is for 1440p 144Hz

You didn't mention what resolution you were intending but if you're going for 1080p then you can reduce the GPU to the GTX1660 Super.