Advice for home PC

Hi

My current PC (12 year old Dell XPS) recently died and I need to get something sorted as a replacement. I will post a spec on here at some point, but to start with I want to try and narrow down a couple of things. The most strenuous thing it would be used for would probably be photo and video editing along with occasional streaming.

So what I want to narrow down at this point is:
  1. What processor would be best? I'm thinking i5 at this stage but there are quite a lot of i5's around! Is it worth going for 13th gen?
  2. Graphics card? My feeling is to go for a discrete graphics card over Intel, but again there are a ton of options and I'm not sure what to go for.
In terms of budget, I want to try and keep it under £1000 if possible

Thanks

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Hi

My current PC (12 year old Dell XPS) recently died and I need to get something sorted as a replacement. I will post a spec on here at some point, but to start with I want to try and narrow down a couple of things. The most strenuous thing it would be used for would probably be photo and video editing along with occasional streaming.

So what I want to narrow down at this point is:
  1. What processor would be best? I'm thinking i5 at this stage but there are quite a lot of i5's around! Is it worth going for 13th gen?
  2. Graphics card? My feeling is to go for a discrete graphics card over Intel, but again there are a ton of options and I'm not sure what to go for.
In terms of budget, I want to try and keep it under £1000 if possible

Thanks
£1000 is not really going to get you anything worthwhile.

An AMD platform would be the best option, but it's not really viable at that budget, you would definitely need a discrete GPU for any worthwhile performance.

You'd be looking around £1200 for something very entry level.

Components have shot up in price since the pandemic with many issues including high inflation, plus manufacturing difficulties, so what your money could get 3 years ago, you need to spend substantially more now for the equivalent.

Thanks Spyder. Wow...I knew prices had gone up steeply but hadn't realised they'd gone up that steeply!

Ok, so if we pushed the budget up to £1200...?