Advice for new PC...

gouranga20

Hello and hey there.

Need some advice please - I am reasonable with computers but more software than hardware as never really had the need to know but the time has come that I need a new PC and I am kind of learning on the hoof...

I'll keep it brief and hope someone can point me in a good direction.

My needs are:
- Budget £300 - no monitor needed
- Powerful to process large RAW files fast and well - I have just received quite a few wedding gigs over the next year and need an upgrade to process large amounts of large photo files without fuss - therefore reasonable size HDD as well
- Reasonable graphics card to get started in to PC gaming
- Windows 7 64bit pref
- Easy to upgrade. Basically what I am looking for is something that I can spend money on over the next few months to build up to a decent spec PC with minimal fuss.

I am happy with refurb comps - in fact these are what I have been looking at most. The one that I am leaning toward is: Dell XPS 720 Gaming Ready System Core 2 Duo 1.86Ghz/8GB RAM/500GB HDD/DVD-RW/8800GTX/Win 7 Pro

Is this a good set-up and easy to upgrade? Can anyone point me in a better direction?

Sorry these are complete noob qs but hey - got to start somewhere and where better than with some good advice.

Cheers - Jimbo

keynes

Multiverse Poster
Hi Jimbo,
The forum belongs to PCS who built customised computers, if you wish advice on self building or other retailers you may want to consider tom's hardware.

kruppsy

Master
And please don't buy that PC you mention, its about 8 years old, which in technology terms is BC. You will struggle to buy parts to upgrade it. It'll be socket 775 and DDR2 Ram both of which are very much end of line. My advice would be save another £100 so you can at least start off on the right footing. An AMD A Series build is probably what you should go for. We can spec one up for you if you like but its going to be £400 minimum I'd have thought.

PokerFace

Banned