Advice for PC controller

purplewakanda

Gold Level Poster
I use a Logitech G300s Wired. Could I get some recommendations for controllers for PC? Looking for durability, comfort, and not too expensive.

TonyCarter

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Do you want a gaming mouse, or a general use mouse? Do you need an ambidextrous mouse specifically?

I just use the Amazon version of the Logitech MX Master for everything (except for the laptop, where I use a MX Anywhere 2s) - but I usually order a couple when they're on sale (for about £35)...other than the battery life and some extra features that I don't use, I can't see the point of paying £90 for the latest MX Master 3.

However, it may not be a comfortable size for everyone...so I'd recommend using something cheap & cheerful until you can get to a computer store to try a few for size.

purplewakanda

Gold Level Poster
I'm looking for a gaming controller, not a mouse specifically similar to Xbox controllers, MSI etc. I play usually RPGs, strategy, and FPS. Any suggestions?

Steveyg

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
I switch between Xbox, PS4 & Steam Controller for games that need a controller. It's hard to beat the Xbox & Playstation offerings though, they're popular for a reason

purplewakanda

Gold Level Poster
I switch between Xbox, PS4 & Steam Controller for games that need a controller. It's hard to beat the Xbox & Playstation offerings though, they're popular for a reason
If you would have to choose between xbox and playstation controllers which would you pick? Can you suggest a few models?

Steveyg

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
If you would have to choose between xbox and playstation controllers which would you pick? Can you suggest a few models?
Just the regular old Bluetooth Xbox One controller is the simplest to use. You can just connect it and it's good to go. Only gripe I have with Xbox controllers is the shoulder buttons being at two different levels so any game requires heavy shoulder button usage I go with the Playstation controller

I just like the layout of the shoulder buttons on Playstation controllers but they take a bit of setting up. If everything worked natively with the Playstation controllers I would only use those

Steam controller I use for RTS games, the haptic feedback pad is a really good substitute for a mouse when sitting on the sofa

If I had to pick one, Xbox One Bluetooth for convenience

purplewakanda

Gold Level Poster
Just the regular old Bluetooth Xbox One controller is the simplest to use. You can just connect it and it's good to go. Only gripe I have with Xbox controllers is the shoulder buttons being at two different levels so any game requires heavy shoulder button usage I go with the Playstation controller

I just like the layout of the shoulder buttons on Playstation controllers but they take a bit of setting up. If everything worked natively with the Playstation controllers I would only use those

Steam controller I use for RTS games, the haptic feedback pad is a really good substitute for a mouse when sitting on the sofa

If I had to pick one, Xbox One Bluetooth for convenience
Thank you.

Any good? Why do you prefer Bluetooth over Wireless?

steaky360

I use one of these: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07L8H9..._dp_RYP3628DF5321ZS5ABDJ?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

and can highly recommend them, excellent controllers (in my experience) and comfortable to boot - not had any issues with them. I prefer the xbox controller style over the Playstation style personally due to the asymmetric position of the control sticks.

There is a totally wireless version of it too but its more expensive: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07PF2V68D/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_4TJR3T16Y3TZNJBBY5AY

Steveyg

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Wireless controllers as opposed to bluetooth controllers tend to require their own wireless dongle. Like the Xbox one costs £30 but any bluetooth controller can connect to any bluetooth dongle. Meaning you can get a bluetooth dongle for £4 and get the same thing as the wireless controllers at a fraction of the cost

Don't know about PS5 controllers I've only used PS4

ojmck22

Bronze Level Poster
Personally I hate the feel of PlayStation controllers, they're way too thin. With an Xbox controller I feel its much more comfortable and doesn't feel like you're grabbing two pencils.

purplewakanda

Gold Level Poster
Where did you see that, I'd be interested in challenging them on that if it really is the case!
I had two chat with different agents and they said the same thing which was different earlier
Screenshot 2021-04-25 at 12.05.38 p.m..png

TonyCarter

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
That seems to be the same policy Amazon have had for some years, and they're just reiterating Microsoft's own (limited) warranty policy...not your additional legal consumer rights.

I don't believe EU/Brexit has anything to do with, as the UK has the same terms for warranty as they did before Brexit.

There's normally something in the documentation you get with the item which states the limited warranty period, but then will normally also have a clause/appendix which has something like:
For consumers, who are covered by consumer protection laws or regulations in their country of purchase or, if different, their country of residence, the benefits conferred by COMPANY Limited Warranty are in addition to all rights and remedies conveyed by such consumer protection laws and regulations, including but not limited to the rights described below.

In the UK, the right to complain currently extends beyond the two-year minimum limit set in the EU. In England, Wales and Northern Ireland, the right to complain is valid for six years and for five years in Scotland. (this was the same before & after Brexit)

The problem is enforcing it (with the retailer, not the manufacturer) for a small peripheral like a controller or mouse. Most people won't want the hassle for £40. But it's worth the small amount of hassle to get Amazon to back down and send a replacement (it's worked in all of my cases so far for smaller items, usually over 9-18 months after the limited warranty has expired (USB sticks, USB hubs, external HD/SSD enclosures, etc.). If it's less than 6 months, it's usually very simple.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
That seems to be the same policy Amazon have had for some years, and they're just reiterating Microsoft's own (limited) warranty policy...not your additional legal consumer rights.

I don't believe EU/Brexit has anything to do with, as the UK has the same terms for warranty as they did before Brexit.

There's normally something in the documentation you get with the item which states the limited warranty period, but then will normally also have a clause/appendix which has something like:

In the UK, the right to complain currently extends beyond the two-year minimum limit set in the EU. In England, Wales and Northern Ireland, the right to complain is valid for six years and for five years in Scotland. (this was the same before & after Brexit)

The problem is enforcing it (with the retailer, not the manufacturer) for a small peripheral like a controller or mouse. Most people won't want the hassle for £40. But it's worth the small amount of hassle to get Amazon to back down and send a replacement (it's worked in all of my cases so far for smaller items, usually over 9-18 months after the limited warranty has expired (USB sticks, USB hubs, external HD/SSD enclosures, etc.). If it's less than 6 months, it's usually very simple.

But that’s for UK residents, not EU?

My point being, while Ireland hasn't got it's own dedicated amazon.ie portal, they will be essentially importing any goods bought off Amazon.co.uk, and so are bound by any customs litigation connected to that?

Hence Amazon reducing shop bought warranty terms.

In the same way that I recently bought some tech off Amazon.it and was only given 30 day warranty returns period.

I'm sure Amazon will be quick to put up a dedicated Amazon.ie site considering their main UK business address is in Ireland I believe. I'm a bit surprised they haven't done it already.

Last edited: