advice for possible new or half new pc plz

faihaf

Silver Level Poster
Hello there
It’s been few years since I last visited these forums. bought my gaming pc back in 2011 it’s been all good till last week basically it would not boot up just black screen no display and in attempt of fixing it I bent a few of my cpu socket pins so I guess the motherboard is gone.
I was hoping to either build a brand new pc or if possible use some of the part from my old pc. I mainly use my pc to play games such as bf4 or titan fall etc.

these are the spec of my old pc please advise to what is the best and cost effective solution thanks in advance

Case
COOLERMASTER HAF 932 FULL TOWER GAMING CASE
Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™i7-2600k Quad Core (3.40GHz, 8MB Cache) + HD Graphics
Motherboard
ASUS® P8Z68-V PRO: USB 3.0, SATA 6GB/s, NVIDIA®SLI™, ATI®CrossFireX™
Memory (RAM)
16GB KINGSTON HYPER-X GENESIS DUAL-DDR3 1600MHz, X.M.P (4 x 4GB KIT)
Graphics Card
2GB AMD RADEON™ HD6970 - 2 DVI,HDMI,2 mDP - DX® 11, Eyefinity 4 Capable
2nd Graphics Card
2GB AMD RADEON™ HD6970 - 2 DVI,HDMI,2 mDP - DX® 11, Eyefinity 4 Capable
1st Hard Disk
120GB INTEL® 510 SERIES SSD, SATA 6 Gb/s (upto 450MB/sR | 210MB/sW)
2nd Hard Disk
2TB WD CAVIAR BLACK WD2002FAEX, SATA 6 Gb/s, 64MB CACHE (7200rpm)
1st DVD/BLU-RAY Drive
24x DUAL LAYER DVD WRITER ±R/±RW/RAM
Memory Card Reader
INTERNAL 52 IN 1 CARD READER (XD, MS, CF, SD, etc) + 1 x USB 2.0 PORT
Power Supply
CORSAIR 1050W PRO SERIES™ HX1050-80 PLUS® SILVER MODULAR (£162)
Processor Cooling
TITAN FENRIR EVO EXTREME HEATPIPE CPU COOLER (£39)
Sound Card
ONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Wireless/Wired Networking
ONBOARD GIGABIT LAN & WIRELESS 802.11N 300Mbps PCI-E CARD (£19)
USB Options
6 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL (MIN 2 FRONT PORTS) AS STANDARD
Operating System
Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit - inc DVD & Licence (£79)
Office Software
NO OFFICE SOFTWARE
Anti-Virus
NO ANTI-VIRUS SOFTWARE
Warranty
3 Year Gold Warranty (2 Year Collect & Return, 2 Year Parts, 3 Year Labour) (£69)

i am also toying with the idea of ordering a new motherboard but not sure which one will go with my exisitng spec and changing the motherboard all by myself does nt look promissing either. I am really confused. Please point me in the right direction. thanks

Last edited:

mantadog

Superhero Level Poster
If you just killed the motherboard then all you need to do is replace that with an identical model. You can find them on ebay, they are not exactly 10 a penny but cheaper than a whole new PC for sure..

Though you would need to be sure its not another component causing the boot failure before committing. if you are happy building a new machine then you can buy a new motherboard then troubleshoot on that platform if its still failing to boot, as pretty much everything else looks fine to me.

faihaf

Silver Level Poster
thanks for the reply.
i m pretty sure it was motherboard because i strip every part off like gpu ram moniter, keyboard mouse like everything unpluged and it was still rebooting and when it does start no display. the only thing i did nt disconect was my ssd and hdd but i dont see them being the problem. now that i have also bent the pins on the mother boad i might aswell get a new one. would you be able to advice me please to what motherboard should i get if i cant get the same one i had before.
the ram and gpu i got would the be ok with newer motherboards ??

mantadog

Superhero Level Poster
The RAM and GPU will be fine. The most important thing is to get a motherboard that is compatible with the z68 platform (which is what the CPU is tied to) and for it to support dual AMD GPU's it will need to support crossfire.

Basically for easiness go for the same as you had already, if not come back and i'll have a look to find something else compatible.

faihaf

Silver Level Poster
ok i manage to get my pc working but it has mind of his own some days it work fine for hour the other it would nt start at all and i notice the ati 6970 gpu had green rust thing on diffrent part so i guess they are on there way as-well so could you please advice me on what new motherboard and a graphic card I should get which will be compatible with rest of my hardware. it would be very nice if i can just get these part of pcs as i do feel i am there customer and maybe they can help me out and this will keep me loyal of course i will pay for them :) but please please help me out

thanks

mantadog

Superhero Level Poster
did you look for a place to buy the P8Z68-V already, its available on amazon, ebay etc so it should be easy enough to get hold of. I doubt PCS supply it anymore as it is fairly old. I wouldn't change the GPU's at the moment unless they are having some issues.

faihaf

Silver Level Poster
ya i did see there are some P8Z68-V availble but both of my 6970 have green rust building on different parts so i thought i might aswell get something new last thing i want is order this motherboard and than my grapic card stop working and i cant get a new graphic card to go with this mother board so i be just wasting money.

can i use a ati r9 390 with P8Z68-V if i decided to upgrade my gpu in few months??